Border crossing

Moon dog

we always take an extra 

as long as you have owners card  you will be ok 

even when she is driving ? 

32 minutes ago, Fozzy said:

This question is only asked if they are Yamahas. BRP on the other hand they let you roll right through. 😉

Cause Yamaha is more valuable

BRP dime a dozen

i only had the border guards check out the sleds in the trailer when i thought it was because of an extra sled 

it was it. it was because the guard had the same make and model 

Only time we were checked was a few years back and they took us all inside and 2 agent's crawled through the trailer over and looked under all of our sleds. They finally came in and said they were checking for a hand gun because my kid got a pistol permit a couple weeks earlier in north Carolina. Amazing how the Canadian government new this.  

Living on the border and going to Canada a few times a year one of the boys two years ago was asked if he had ever been turned away.  Well it turned out when he was 18 or 19 he was working for a marina who rented house boats and a houseboat broke down on the Canadian side. He went to fix it and was not allowed to go into the country.  Some agents allowed you in and some don't.  Anyway this was the first time he had ever been asked about being turned away.  He had really forgotten about it.  Lucky for us the agent was a nice guy and just warned him about not declaring it.  I just wonder why he was never asked about it before.  It was 20 years before.  

Don’t tell them you are going to party in Montreal. Bad Idea. Trust me. 

I got lots of border stories.

i agree they know lots from your passport. 

Every in and out for sure is there. 

It is basically what the FBI has on you.  I got asked about something that happened years back in the 70's.  I was amazed, but also truthful.  If they ask you a question tell them the truth to the best of your ability.  You can say that it was a long time ago, and you may not remember all the details, and they will likely be OK with that.  Just tell them the truth, they already know the answer.  After my question from the 70's, I had a friend in law enforcement run my FBI check, sure enough, it was there.

1 hour ago, rev39 said:

I'd like to know exactly what information they have access to. Just curious.

They have your complete criminal history, your complete driving record, any warrants out for you, any court protection from abuse orders past and current,  plates must match up on the vehicle you are driving, all places and dates you crossed the border in the past and any problems they encountered when you did so.  State and federal convictions from state and federal courts are included as are any motor vehicle convictions. I know in my past life I also could see those arrests and summonses where the person was found not guilty or were still pending.

mike

Edited by mikerider
add

1 hour ago, mikerider said:

They have your complete criminal history, your complete driving record, any warrants out for you, any court protection from abuse orders past and current,  plates must match up on the vehicle you are driving, all places and dates you crossed the border in the past and any problems they encountered when you did so.  State and federal convictions from state and federal courts are included as are any motor vehicle convictions. I know in my past life I also could see those arrests and summonses where the person was found not guilty or were still pending.

mike

Any if you ever crossed with contraband including dog biscuits 😂

41 minutes ago, 182ray said:

Any if you ever crossed with contraband including dog biscuits 😂

Yes, unpackaged dog biscuits were good for about a two hour border delay.

Remember, anything banned that you bring across the border could easily get you prohibited from future crossings.  Usually an extra bottle of wine over the limit will be okay, AS long as you are honest when they ask you how much have you got. You could be screwed if you are caught with extras not mentioned.  Even something like marijuana, though legal in some states and Canada, is probably a huge no-no  when crossing. I have heard that certain clothes made out of certain animal skins are a huge no-no when coming back to the states.

6 hours ago, GSX800 said:

It is basically what the FBI has on you

For sure.

i got pulled inside years ago before I moved up here. Kept there close to an hour waiting. They put me in a little back room. Then said I had and FBI number attached to my name. I said ok? They said it meant one of two things either a felony conviction or a weapons permit. I said...you did not ask if I had a weapons permit. Which I did, it was a concealed carry permit for a pistol. Then they proceeded to search the entire truck and trailer for my gun. I told them I never bring it but they looked anyway. Found nothing.