2 Week Trip - Redscreen Riders ‘on the fly’

Carman

We are planning a 2 week trip starting and ending from Mont Laurier area March 9th - 24th(16 days total; 2 travel days and 14 days of riding). The plan is to ride 300-500km/day and just cover as much of Quebec trails as possible. The entire trip should be around 5,000km and include  Gaspe and Sept-iles. We plan on picking our route and making arrangement for accommodations every morning while eating breakfast(weather, grooming activity and conditions dependant). We have done many planned saddle bag trips in Northern Ontario and Quebec where route, gas, food and accommodations have all been pre-planned and booked but we have always wanted to try an ‘on the fly’ style trip.

Looking for input from experienced Quebec riders and hopefully someone that has done this ‘on the fly’ style trip before. 

Carm

Edited by Carman

How many in your group Carm? Requiring  1 or 2 rooms vs a group that needs 3 or 4 rooms makes a big difference booking on the fly.

We always ride without reservations on our trips,  should not be a problem for one room (except maybe small remote outfitters), I don't even make reservations in the morning, just ride to destination and stop where we like,  but what you will have a problem with is lack of snow that late in March in the Mont Laurier area, been there, done that, not a good thing, maybe look at launching from a place more north ?  

Make reservations the nite before or in the morning when you can, lots of hockey kids fill up some hotels real quick in the bigger areas. Smaller places in the Gaspe fill up with sledders at time also. Its not fun after a long day going to the next town hoping for a room. 

Never make reservations in advance either, never works out. Headed up end of next week for 9 days. Don't know which direction we're going yet as usual. Generally deceide on the way up. usually book the nights lodging at lunchtime. Unless a popular small outfitter.

Edited by Jackstraw

On 1/12/2019 at 5:26 PM, Jackstraw said:

Never make reservations in advance either, never works out. Headed up end of next week for 9 days. Don't know which direction we're going yet as usual. Generally deceide on the way up. usually book the nights lodging at lunchtime. Unless a popular small outfitter.

Same here all our trips are done this way. Not sure how it can be done any other way without problems.  

10 hours ago, viper2 said:

Same here all our trips are done this way. Not sure how it can be done any other way without problems.  

Yep

Don't think there is a Doo dealer I haven't visited in all of QC. Even with new sleds this year I will be amazed if we can complete the week without a visit. Pretty sure it's never happened LOL!

On 1/12/2019 at 9:26 AM, 800steve said:

Make reservations the nite before or in the morning when you can, lots of hockey kids fill up some hotels real quick in the bigger areas. Smaller places in the Gaspe fill up with sledders at time also. Its not fun after a long day going to the next town hoping for a room. 

I’ve actually had nightmares about the “hockey kids”.......

been screwed over and had to ride a lot further than planned on more than one occasion because of those little bastards !!!

I remember years ago we were at the Governeur in Shawinigan and it was sold out , packed 100% full like we got one of the last rooms. Well I don’t know if the kids or parents were worse. Little bastards were playing hockey with a tennis ball in the hallways until 1 a.m. while the parents were getting sloshed and carrying on too. I raised such a stink the next morning we got the room for half price.

40 minutes ago, iceman said:

I love Hockey parents, they throw some great parties. I been in many Hotel rooms visiting and indulging a bit. Good Times. 

I agree. I was one of them hockey parents and a coach. The boys I coached still give me a big hug when they see me. Lot's of high lights in my life. Now I'm riding snowmobiles with my kids and some of them players I coached. There was a few wild times with  them little 14 and 15 year olds. I always told the parents they made them and wasn't my fault they acted that way.