Riding from Drakkar

NHTOM

Did a mini saddlebag out of Drakkar . Arrived Sunday afternoon, out for a quick spin and a beer just to make sure everything was in working order. Trails were a little bouncy , esp the 3. But all normal for a Sunday afternoon.

Mon morn we had breakfast at the Drakkar(much improved), and the 4 of us headed west. Normally we go North or East, but based on reports of a flooded St Anne river in St Ray, and thin snow in the valley near Lac st.jean we decided to head west and do mini  loops.Headed west on 23, past Cabin on the Hill, and the ski area. Not a big fan of this trail. Its tight and twisty and not much to see. Did ride down to the Hotel Sacacomie. This place is worth a look if youve never been. Incredible Log building perched above a Lake. 

We spent 1 nite at Real Masse. This is a fun spot and the owners are super friendly and good english.  Went by the Cabanon, and wow,... I definitly would not go near that place on a weekend. On a tuesday there were at least 40 trucks in their parking lot and the trails in and out of there showed a little snirt with a few rocks to boot. Reminded me of Pittsburg NH. Spent tuesday night at the Central in St.Michel. Decent food, better Bar. Rode around Lac Taureau, and on the Lac as well. Visited the massive Auberge on the way up to the dam. Definitly a 1% er hangout. Also Canada Adventure....almost affordable, and what a spot overlooking the lake. 

Rode back to Shawini in steady snow wednsday . 23, 345, 360. 360 is gorgeous trail, as well as fast, though we were pushing 8 inches of freshie, and steering was a bit dicey.The trails were 90% good, but the constant lite snow kept our speed down.

The trails up there now will be near perfection, as ICE reported, there was a new foot of snow when we returned, and the trails were already good before this.

Reggie, Nancy and Pascal are doing a great job with the Drakkar, and it appeared full when we left fri morn. The next 6 days are going to be cold so the trails should get hard,flat and fast.  Pure Quebec.

And heres a flashback to the Old Safari days.............https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0novpU6MJXQ

I sure miss Bernard. Thanks for the report. That’s part of my gang. 2 guys wouldn’t leave L’Etape after lunch because it was -40° so Bernard sent someone to pick them up. That was a cold ride that night. Hot pizza waiting for us at swanky motel Bon Air. They spent the whole next day drinking with Bernard while the rest of us rode in. 

1 hour ago, actionjack said:

They spent the whole next day drinking with Bernard while the rest of us rode in. 

Despite the fact that he smoked like a chimney ( I think Du Maurier stock dropped 50% upon news of his death), I never saw Bernard drink. Always coffee and butts.

What a guy. He had an edge, but he our backs as well. RIP Bernard.

59 minutes ago, NHTOM said:

Despite the fact that he smoked like a chimney ( I think Du Maurier stock dropped 50% upon news of his death), I never saw Bernard drink. Always coffee and butts.

What a guy. He had an edge, but he our backs as well. RIP Bernard.

I wasn't there, I was still riding in.  I have no idea what Bernard had other than the cigs, but I assure you my buds drank all day while hanging out.  When we came down the trail not only did we see our rigs safe and sound in the compound, but the limo the boys arranged to continue the party.  Which we weren't frankly too enthused about.

Not doubting any of it.... We had many a late night apres riding, especially  when close enough for cab rides to ste foy and Q City.  Just recounting my Bernard recollections.

He warned us about the Shawini operas, and boy was he right,.. get your shots up to date before entering.

Cheers:drinks:

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from 3 nites at Drakkar, thanks Reggie and crew, great time. Met Trigger-happy as they were headed back home sunday morning. Monday Playhard was there giving his foot a test ride, good luck to him. The trails are good as I have ever seen them, late Saturday after noon they were still very good which is rare around 3 and 23 intersections. The base is rock hard and flat. Iceman you need to sneak out and get up to 351 south of RT40, rocket ride for the Apex, its never been better. Great time, back again in a few weeks.

11 minutes ago, 800steve said:

Just back from 3 nites at Drakkar, thanks Reggie and crew, great time. Met Trigger-happy as they were headed back home sunday morning. Monday Playhard was there giving his foot a test ride, good luck to him. The trails are good as I have ever seen them, late Saturday after noon they were still very good which is rare around 3 and 23 intersections. The base is rock hard and flat. Iceman you need to sneak out and get up to 351 south of RT40, rocket ride for the Apex, its never been better. Great time, back again in a few weeks.

Yes it was nice meeting your group.  I am glad your trip was a good one.  You are correct, those trails are some of the best I have seen there.  That rain on Thursday really set them up great.  We are heading back up 2/14-2/18 ( might even go up the weekend before as well).  Hopefully we will see you up there.