2019 Riviere du Loup Area Trail Conditions

mikerider

Yes it was a nice ride yesterday.  After adjusting the compression rebound valve to full soft on the 600 R shock, Sandi decided to give it another try.  It has a few miles on it too so maybe the sled has softened up to her liking. 

I hit the start button on the 850 and the starter spins but doesn't engage.  Oh no.  Not the way to start the trip.  It was fine yesterday getting it off the trailer.  I turned the clutch just a bit and it fired right up.  OK.

Mike, FarmerOLd, Jak, Sandi and myself all head out.  Well the starter was on and off all day.  Around 2:00 in the afternoon the starter would not engage.  Try pulling an 850 with that rope that comes with it.  It has some compression.  We did finally get it started and headed back to the Universal.

Today Sandi and I are off to the dealer.  This season is starting off to be the fix it season.

Sandi does say the 600 R is riding better.  I hope we get the 850 repaired today otherwise I might have to call GutZ and Company for assistance! 😁

Jack & Sandi

Hi Jack, that's a funny thing because Marty's 850 did the same thing yesterday, but didn't have a problem on day 1, both similar weather days. I had a similar problem years ago with my 600 Etec. Grime must get in the starter, and it won't always pop out to engage the gear on the clutch. Starting a couple times usually ends up working. When it gets bad you can spray grease on it while starting it or give it a tap with a make shift hammer.

49 minutes ago, revct1 said:

Yes it was a nice ride yesterday.  After adjusting the compression rebound valve to full soft on the 600 R shock, Sandi decided to give it another try.  It has a few miles on it too so maybe the sled has softened up to her liking. 

I hit the start button on the 850 and the starter spins but doesn't engage.  Oh no.  Not the way to start the trip.  It was fine yesterday getting it off the trailer.  I turned the clutch just a bit and it fired right up.  OK.

Mike, FarmerOLd, Jak, Sandi and myself all head out.  Well the starter was on and off all day.  Around 2:00 in the afternoon the starter would not engage.  Try pulling an 850 with that rope that comes with it.  It has some compression.  We did finally get it started and headed back to the Universal.

Today Sandi and I are off to the dealer.  This season is starting off to be the fix it season.

Sandi does say the 600 R is riding better.  I hope we get the 850 repaired today otherwise I might have to call GutZ and Company for assistance! 😁

Jack & Sandi

I'm on it!!

All we need is a coat hanger, large wire cutters, Scotchbrite pad, graphite (powdered) and strong fingers!

And Coffee!

GutZ

Not to bash skidoo but why take the recoils off the two stroke sleds.  U wouldn't be loosing a day to repairs our wrestling with that strap on the clutch.  Just my thoughts.  Hope everything else is good.  Btw maybe Sandi needs the softer torsion springs?

33 minutes ago, MrGutz said:

I'm on it!!

All we need is a coat hanger, large wire cutters, Scotchbrite pad, graphite (powdered) and strong fingers!

And Coffee!

GutZ

What no duck tape....   and of course a BIG hammer... 😂😂

1 hour ago, Blueblood said:

Not to bash skidoo but why take the recoils off the two stroke sleds.  U wouldn't be loosing a day to repairs our wrestling with that strap on the clutch.  Just my thoughts.  Hope everything else is good.  Btw maybe Sandi needs the softer torsion springs?

$$$$$$$ thats why.

Hi Scorpion.  The starter didn't work once on the last day last trip but then was fine.  This time it kept getting longer and longer between engagements.  I couldn't even see the starter.  It must be tucked in behind the muffler.

Hi GutZ.  The coffee is hot and waiting for you.  I wish the starter was visible because then I would have a chance to try something.

Hi Blueblood.  Doo saves a few dollars and a pound in weight.  Then if you do add the recoil on, Doo gets $200 Canadian.  Sandi has the original springs set soft.  I think with a few more miles and maybe a caddy gas tank it should be fine.  She said that it is loosening up.

Hi Gary.  Duct tape and a hammer will fix most anything.

Hi Steve.  Don't forget when someone adds the recoil on, Doo gets money.  All these little items add up to less weight too.  Riders get fixated on a sled being five pounds lighter than the competitors sled.  May be the rider should eat a few less fries instead.  :rolleyes:

The sled is at Morneau SkiDoo now.  They are going to try to get a look at it today.

Jack & Sandi

Hi Jack - My wife rides a '16 Enduro 900.  She'd get on it with everything full soft and the sled might compress 1/2".  She would have problems keeping the sled cool at times when the snow was hard.  I thought the same thing...wait until it breaks in a bit. 1200 miles later,  so much for that, I went to the lighter springs last year.  Now she can sag the sled 2 - 3 inches...and I put a set of scratchers on it as well.  Problem solved.  

Hi GSX.  Sandi says it is getting better with a few miles on it.  She is also coming off of her old 1200 Renegade so this is going to feel different.  The other thing I could do is strap on 100 pounds of bricks and that would slow her down a little too.  😁

Update on the 850.  It is fixed.  Morneau put in a new bendix for the starter.  The best part of the job is it was only $600 Canadian but they covered it under warranty.  It cost me the $50 deductible.  You have to love those extended warranties!

Til tomorrow,

Jack & Sandi

Hi Jack,

Sorry to see your having a run of bad luck. Fortunately you were day tripping both times and not on a saddle bag trip.

Good to hear it was a warranty issued handled with no hassle. Hopefully you have smoother run ahead of you.

Steve

Hi Jack, glad to hear they got you fixed up. Wish they left the pull start on 2 smokes, but like you stated, they win 2 ways, less weight and more $ if you purchase it later. We will be up there on the 26th and you will be gone by then, have a good season, hope to see you folks this year.

1 hour ago, scorpionbowl said:

Got us thinking, why can't you tow the sled to start it instead of the rope?

There’s a possibility there, I once drowned mydaughters Polaris Trailblazer 250 cc atv, we drained the water from the clutches and pulled the bike till it came to a start,very possible with a sled.

13 hours ago, revct1 said:

Try pulling an 850 with that rope that comes with it.  It has some compression.  We did finally get it started and headed back to the Universal.

Jack & Sandi

You truly are showing your age Jack. Mums the word though!

Hi Steve Fuse.  Looking forward to a few good days ahead of us.  Some things you can't see ahead of time until they break.

Hi Gary.  You would have to have the primary clutch pinched against the belt and the primary won't close unless the motor is spinning.  The secondary spinning won't close the primary.

Hi 800Steve.  I'm not sure where our next trip will be yet.  We have to get thru this one.  Things are looking up now.

Hi JG.  I don't see a way to get the primary clutch tight against the belt to make that work.  I did think about though.

Jack & Sandi