2019 Riviere du Loup Area Trail Conditions

mikerider

57 minutes ago, Trailblazer said:

There’s a possibility there, I once drowned mydaughters Polaris Trailblazer 250 cc atv, we drained the water from the clutches and pulled the bike till it came to a start,very possible with a sled.

hmmm, so maybe, if you loosen the secondary so the belt is too high in the pulley it will tighten the belt on the primary and spin the engine when you tow the sled....

Worth a try in a pinch.

FYI stopping may stall engine.

GutZ

On 1/12/2019 at 6:58 PM, scorpionbowl said:

Levis to RDL, 270 miles. 75 to 55 to 35 to 5 all perfect 10 except for minor drifting in the fields. Beautiful day, wicked base on the trails, pulled out 2 Canucks. if u think it's cold u picked the wrong sport. We usually only stop for gas, but I was able to get one pic, didn't get a pic of the amazing sunset into the hotel.

image.jpeg

Looking at your trip and have never ridden this section west of rdl. Wondering a few things. How long of a ride is this typically? Is this a busy section that on weekends could have the police out with radar? Is there another return route one might suggest and lastly where to leave from in Levis that’s clean and safe

Thanks in advance 

mike 

Came from Edmunston to Lac Etchimin today about 220mi. Stopped at the golf course for lunch in St Pomphile (met mikerider there couple yrs ago), trails were awesome all day. Tomorrow night should be in the Valcourt area, new riding for me. 

One of the sleds today had the Hot Shot starter, it quit working too. 

7 hours ago, MrGutz said:

hmmm, so maybe, if you loosen the secondary so the belt is too high in the pulley it will tighten the belt on the primary and spin the engine when you tow the sled....

Worth a try in a pinch.

FYI stopping may stall engine.

GutZ

Slightly off subject i once started a bobcat skid steer loader by towing it (not meaning to) so why not a sled stranger things have happened.  All though like you say running into the guy towing you may be a problem.... 🤔🤔        😁😁😁😁

Hi Mike,

You are missing a wonderful section of Quebec.  There are times when it isn't groomed in spots and you can hit rough trail but that can happen anywhere and that is what the groomer map is for.

You have your pick of three trails.  5 is the most direct trail.  That will be ±210 miles.  Typical Quebec with woods, fields, some elevation and plenty of stops along the route.  It is split into thirds.  A short third to Montmagny gas and coffee, the longer third to Relais Hiboux for food on trail 5 but near La Pocatarie, gas in Mont Carmel if you need it and the last third to RDL.  It is a comfortable day and you should be in RDL well before dark.  A lot of variations on this but the first time thru take trail 5 all the way to get familiar with the route.

Second option is trail 35.  We usually drop down 551 out of Montmagny to get 35 but you can take 547 from St Grevais.  This is the highway.  This is the Claremont Express of the south.  Bring the cruise control.  It is a rail bed for most of the way.  There aren't a lot of gas stops and you will burn thru a tank.  It runs the rail bed most off the way from the intersection with 547 at the west end to the intersection with 526 at the east end.  It is a long way and a quick ride.  You have to stop in Tourville at Relais Jasmine on this run.  It is the hot spot.  It can be packed on weekends.  This route is further in distance but not really longer in time.  Levis to Jasmine is ±125 miles depending on which route you take.  Jasmine to RDL is about 95 miles.

Lastly is trail 55.  Trail 75 is the easiest access to 55.  This is the longest run and can take a long day.  55 is different in itself.  The trail is more rolling in sections.  Again a very nice run.  It goes thru a few maple tree farms.  It has a few more facilities than 35.  I would probably skip 55 as a first trip out because it is a little longer.

Motel Bernieres is the most popular staging area.  As you have probably read, they have remodeled.  The truck enclosure is gone but there is a good size area that you can leave your rig.  Take precautions like anywhere else and don't let your truck be the most desirable.  The motel and restaurant Normadin is right next to Auto route 20.

PM me if you would like.  We have ridden that area many times.

Jack & Sandi

37 minutes ago, revct1 said:

Hi Mike,

You are missing a wonderful section of Quebec.  There are times when it isn't groomed in spots and you can hit rough trail but that can happen anywhere and that is what the groomer map is for.

You have your pick of three trails.  5 is the most direct trail.  That will be ±210 miles.  Typical Quebec with woods, fields, some elevation and plenty of stops along the route.  It is split into thirds.  A short third to Montmagny gas and coffee, the longer third to Relais Hiboux for food on trail 5 but near La Pocatarie, gas in Mont Carmel if you need it and the last third to RDL.  It is a comfortable day and you should be in RDL well before dark.  A lot of variations on this but the first time thru take trail 5 all the way to get familiar with the route.

Second option is trail 35.  We usually drop down 551 out of Montmagny to get 35 but you can take 547 from St Grevais.  This is the highway.  This is the Claremont Express of the south.  Bring the cruise control.  It is a rail bed for most of the way.  There aren't a lot of gas stops and you will burn thru a tank.  It runs the rail bed most off the way from the intersection with 547 at the west end to the intersection with 526 at the east end.  It is a long way and a quick ride.  You have to stop in Tourville at Relais Jasmine on this run.  It is the hot spot.  It can be packed on weekends.  This route is further in distance but not really longer in time.  Levis to Jasmine is ±125 miles depending on which route you take.  Jasmine to RDL is about 95 miles.

Lastly is trail 55.  Trail 75 is the easiest access to 55.  This is the longest run and can take a long day.  55 is different in itself.  The trail is more rolling in sections.  Again a very nice run.  It goes thru a few maple tree farms.  It has a few more facilities than 35.  I would probably skip 55 as a first trip out because it is a little longer.

Motel Bernieres is the most popular staging area.  As you have probably read, they have remodeled.  The truck enclosure is gone but there is a good size area that you can leave your rig.  Take precautions like anywhere else and don't let your truck be the most desirable.  The motel and restaurant Normadin is right next to Auto route 20.

Jack & Sandi

There’s that memory again, what page are all those notes on? Jack is correct this days ride can be as varied as you wish. 👍🏻

2 hours ago, revct1 said:

Hi Mike,

Jack & Sandi

Thanks for this Jack

I think that's our next ride in a couple of weeks.. I like that we can go one way and come back another. Good snow is forecast in the next 10 days as well and should on;y make it better.

My only last question was the police concern. I'm not a maniac but it bothers me when you are on these express routes with a 50 -70 kph speed limit and they decide to do radar. Maybe I'm wrong but I think these are more populated areas where this could happen.

Again thanks for sharing your notes with us.

Went to the SkiDoo dealer in RDL today.     Unless I missed something, looks like the Arctic Cat dealer is gone. This is the one that was right next door to  SkiDoo.

Not sure if there is another Cat dealer around.

Edited by mikerider
Add

23 minutes ago, mikerider said:

Went to the SkiDoo dealer in RDL today.     Unless I missed something, looks like the Arctic Cat dealer is gone. This is the one that was right next door to  SkiDoo.

Not sure if there is another Cat dealer around.

Is there a particular reason you had to visit the Doo dealer Mike? Anything we need to know? They do not sell Wine there do they??

Hi Terry.   Trying to figure out why I am so cold when I ride in the past couple years. Its either old age or my 2004 SkiDoo jacket lost its mojo. Bought a new Choko.  Nicely made jacket. Haven't tried it yet, having problems with a pulled neck muscle, so resting today.  Need you to stop by so we can cause some mischief. I checked, our names are not on Levesque's 'Do Not Serve List'.

Hi Mike,

Trail 35 does not go thru populated areas so there is less chance of police but don't send me the ticket if that happens.  We ran 35 today from RDL to Tourville.  The first half was a little choppy but not rough.  It had the weekend traffic.  The second half to Tourville was fine.  Just keep your eyes open as you approach intersections.  If the police are out, they would probably be on the road.  No guarantee but that would be my thought.

Jack & Sandi

1 hour ago, mikerider said:

Hi Terry.   Trying to figure out why I am so cold when I ride in the past couple years. Its either old age or my 2004 SkiDoo jacket lost its mojo. Bought a new Choko.  Nicely made jacket. Haven't tried it yet, having problems with a pulled neck muscle, so resting today.  Need you to stop by so we can cause some mischief. I checked, our names are not on Levesque's 'Do Not Serve List'.

Good to know they'll let us back in Mike! I'll get in touch with Trailblazer and see when he's ready to make a return trip! I'm ready to go and it seems like the conditions are improving daily, so soon we ride!

58 minutes ago, neksledr said:

Good to know they'll let us back in Mike! I'll get in touch with Trailblazer and see when he's ready to make a return trip! I'm ready to go and it seems like the conditions are improving daily, so soon we ride!

Got plans this week end, next week end let’s crash some partys.

As Mike said, he sat yesterday out with a stiff neck.  Sandi, myself, FarmerOld, Jak and Rusty went out.  We did 35 west to Tourville for lunch.  55 to St Pamphile then 557 up to Relais Sportif for an afternoon break.  Then we returned to the Universal via trail 5.

The trails are amazing.  Like I said earlier, half of trail 35 was a little choppy.  All the other trails were fantastic.  There are only a handful of trailers in the enclosure here at the hotel.  We have seen a few riders out but it is quiet overall.  The riding is great.

The forecast for this Sunday is 30-40 cm of snow.  Not a good day to be in the truck but it is going to top off the trails with a thick blanket of new snow.  Now is the time to get to Quebec and get some miles on.  By the looks of the snow depth map and the groomer map, there isn't a bad area up here.  Until later, enjoy the ride.

Jack & Sandi

On 1/12/2019 at 8:26 PM, mikerider said:

Scorpionbowl and his friend Marty

"Party with Marty!"  Woo hoo!  Tell him we all say hey!

On 1/12/2019 at 6:58 PM, scorpionbowl said:

We usually only stop for gas

Or to dig Marty out of having SO much off-trail fun!

Today rode West with JAK and met GKW at St. Pamphile and the 3 of us rode back to the hotel together. Conditions great!

In big field GKW pulled alongside at trail speed and gassed his new 900T.  Wheelie and gone bye-bye.

New Choko  coat (Adventurer):  2 big thumbs up. Toasty warm, so well designed and so well made. Saguenay Bill has been trying to get me into one of these coats for years.  You would think by now I would know to listen to him. Glad to know it was my old coat and not my old age making me cold.

mike

IMG_0472.JPG

1 hour ago, mikerider said:

Today rode West with JAK and met GKW at St. Pamphile and the 3 of us rode back to the hotel together. Conditions great!

In big field GKW pulled alongside at trail speed and gassed his new 900T.  Wheelie and gone bye-bye.

New Choko  coat (Adventurer):  2 big thumbs up. Toasty warm, so well designed and so well made. Saguenay Bill has been trying to get me into one of these coats for years.  You would think by now I would know to listen to him. Glad to know it was my old coat and not my old age making me cold.

mike

IMG_0472.JPG

Hi Mike, Glad to hear the new coat works, but i would bet its more 50/50 on the old age and the old coat. Coming thru the area on the 26th if you are still going to be there? Hope to hook up for a drink.

Dave, Sandi and I went out yesterday.  We went down 544 thru Pohenegamook and stopped at the Frontieres club house.  They are having drag races there this weekend.  They were out getting the track staked and ready.  We then took 35 and 85 down to Degelis and looped back up 571 to Squatec.  Amazing how many maple trees are tapped along the 571 for the maple sap.

We then returned to the hotel via 571, 544 and 85.

The trails are fine.  There was only one big field that had been wind blown and was a little thin.  Far from bare just thin.  There is very little traffic out there.  I think it is because there is snow cover in New England and Ontario so people are riding closer to home instead of the trek to Quebec.  We can deal with that. ☺️

We did see two snowmobiles late in the day with the word "Police" written on the side of the sled.  It was around 4:00 PM so I'm guessing they were heading in.  It was around the St Cyprien area.

The storm that is coming in Sunday has shifted south.  The prediction is 10 cm of snow here in RDL.  The bulk of the snow is mid to upper Vermont.  Plan your travel wisely.

Jack & Sandi

Yesterday JAK and I rode with GKW to St. Pamphile and GKW continued on to his rig. He got a reading of neg 19 in the high elevation just before Hiboux Club house.  It felt it. The new Choko  coat came through with flying colors.

Last night drinks with Gaf, Ed and Dan.  Thank you Gaf  for the drink and getting in touch. Have a great trip.

Later in evening it was catching up with the Maritime Province crew.,  Turns out the one year I worked in a Maine border town, I used to go to a bar at the border to meet beautiful Canadian ladies. Andyman came to the same bar to meet beautiful American women.  Always great to see Andy and Steve and crew, safe travels finishing your trip guys.