2019 Riviere du Loup Area Trail Conditions

mikerider

Today saw soft trails but quite a bit of grooming after getting several inches of snow yesterday and last night. Far more sleds on the trail than I have seen all year. New sled rolled over the 4,000 mile mark today.

mike

IMG_0538.JPG

IMG_0537.JPG

Must have been 200 sleds at the hotel last night, never seen anything like it here.

GKW and I found a new restaurant to try in the old city last night called 'Suspension'. Duck dinner for $21 Canadian, it was fabulous. Cool place to boot.

225 miles today, freshly groomed the whole way. Back to RDL club house at 3:10

mike

IMG_0548.JPG

IMG_0550.JPG

IMG_0549.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

Always great to see you too. Looked for you as well as Lance and crew after dinner last night in the bar but I guess timing was off. Hope all have a great week.

George is heading home with me today to meet the family. Been an awesome couple weeks of riding and seeing friends.

mike

On 2/18/2019 at 5:22 AM, mikerider said:

Always great to see you too. Looked for you as well as Lance and crew after dinner last night in the bar but I guess timing was off. Hope all have a great week.

George is heading home with me today to meet the family. Been an awesome couple weeks of riding and seeing friends.

mike

Keep us posted when your next trip is Mike. Have a safe trip home.

On 2/18/2019 at 5:22 AM, mikerider said:

mike

Mike, we're all 'curious' about George and the reception you both received when introductions were made to the family? 

14 minutes ago, neksledr said:

Mike, we're all 'curious' about George and the reception you both received when introductions were made to the family? 

Wife met George and reminded me several times, 'only til death do us part'.  

Dog is a humper. George just keeps smiling. Cat hates the dog and George.

On 1/15/2019 at 6:26 AM, revct1 said:

Hi Mike,

You are missing a wonderful section of Quebec.  There are times when it isn't groomed in spots and you can hit rough trail but that can happen anywhere and that is what the groomer map is for.

You have your pick of three trails.  5 is the most direct trail.  That will be ±210 miles.  Typical Quebec with woods, fields, some elevation and plenty of stops along the route.  It is split into thirds.  A short third to Montmagny gas and coffee, the longer third to Relais Hiboux for food on trail 5 but near La Pocatarie, gas in Mont Carmel if you need it and the last third to RDL.  It is a comfortable day and you should be in RDL well before dark.  A lot of variations on this but the first time thru take trail 5 all the way to get familiar with the route.

Second option is trail 35.  We usually drop down 551 out of Montmagny to get 35 but you can take 547 from St Grevais.  This is the highway.  This is the Claremont Express of the south.  Bring the cruise control.  It is a rail bed for most of the way.  There aren't a lot of gas stops and you will burn thru a tank.  It runs the rail bed most off the way from the intersection with 547 at the west end to the intersection with 526 at the east end.  It is a long way and a quick ride.  You have to stop in Tourville at Relais Jasmine on this run.  It is the hot spot.  It can be packed on weekends.  This route is further in distance but not really longer in time.  Levis to Jasmine is ±125 miles depending on which route you take.  Jasmine to RDL is about 95 miles.

Lastly is trail 55.  Trail 75 is the easiest access to 55.  This is the longest run and can take a long day.  55 is different in itself.  The trail is more rolling in sections.  Again a very nice run.  It goes thru a few maple tree farms.  It has a few more facilities than 35.  I would probably skip 55 as a first trip out because it is a little longer.

Motel Bernieres is the most popular staging area.  As you have probably read, they have remodeled.  The truck enclosure is gone but there is a good size area that you can leave your rig.  Take precautions like anywhere else and don't let your truck be the most desirable.  The motel and restaurant Normadin is right next to Auto route 20.

PM me if you would like.  We have ridden that area many times.

Jack & Sandi

Jack & Sandi

Finally got out this past weekend for the route you proposed. Left Normandin about 9 and did the 5 to the 35 and then the 526. Stopped at the Tims for gas & coffee and the relais at Tourville. Relais was a zoo. 1.5 hours to get a burger. All the same time was on our side. Pulled into the Universal after gassiing up by 4. Great trails all day and 235 miles. Universal was hopping with sleds and hockey tournament. Yesterday we decided to get an early start since a storm was expected after lunch for much of the province.. Well early for us was on the trail at 7;45. Checked the app and 5 was green. Little traffic for most of the morning. Got gas at the Relais and then at Tims in Montmagny.. Snow started just after this but wasn't terrible. Back at the truck for 1:45 with 215 miles.. Home at 7 last night.

Now having ridden this area I will certainly look at some options for other loops. Not sure why but never expected trails like this in this area. Usually I"m always running north. My only comment would be just shortly after leaving Normandin there's a rail crossing. There is one of these stop signs but should be moved back and better signage as to what 's there. I coasted to the stop at the same time a Via flew by. Scared the crap out of me. 

Happy Trails

Mike

Arrived late afternoon to RDL.  Rode out to the club house and back. Cold, extremely strong winds, and mega drifting. I am sure many trails are not passable.  Trails looked freshly groomed last night but in a few places it was hard to get through the drifts. From the club house tried to go west on Trail #5 but looked blocked big time by drifts

Room 165 (way out back).

mike

3 hours ago, mikerider said:

Arrived late afternoon to RDL.  Rode out to the club house and back. Cold, extremely strong winds, and mega drifting. I am sure many trails are not passable.  Trails looked freshly groomed last night but in a few places it was hard to get through the drifts. From the club house tried to go west on Trail #5 but looked blocked big time by drifts

Room 165 (way out back).

mike

Nice to hear you're back in the game Mike! I'm assuming Georgie made the return trip with you? Will be looking forward to you and the little monkeys reports!

Gt Rider,   did you start from the Universel? Would be great to say Hi.  

Joe,   best I can tell, maybe 6 inches, but the drifting will take a day or two for the groomers to flatten out. Unbelievable winds.

And Terry,  George says it is too cold, he stayed home. He hasn't been the same since his ride to Amqui with EddieSkidoo and SkiDoo420.  You must remember, George's former life was on a two up Grand Touring.  George didn't like the triple digit speeds. He is going to counseling.