2019 Riviere du Loup Area Trail Conditions

mikerider

30 minutes ago, mikerider said:

Gt Rider,   did you start from the Universel? Would be great to say Hi.  

Joe,   best I can tell, maybe 6 inches, but the drifting will take a day or two for the groomers to flatten out. Unbelievable winds.

And Terry,  George says it is too cold, he stayed home. He hasn't been the same since his ride to Amqui with EddieSkidoo and SkiDoo420.  You must remember, George's former life was on a two up Grand Touring.  George didn't like the triple digit speeds. He is going to counseling.

Is the dog still humping him?

Jackstraw,      George is just one of a long list of the dog likes. Never had a fixed female that does this. George is just one of her boy toys.

GTRider,    I am here for a couple weeks so hopefully will see you and your wife. Have a safe trip, and hopefully today some of those drifts have been knocked down on the trail. Anxious to hear how you like the turbo.

EastMark,      Looking forward to seeing you and Lisa, did she get her new sled?   (For those who haven't met Mark and Lisa, they are a wonderful addition to the QuebecRider Family. We just need to get them to Quebec more often).

mike

Mike

Thanks for the kind words. For the next few years work gets in the way of more RDL trips...but we will make up for it when the day comes !

Yes...Lisa got her new 19 sled. I will let her tell you about it. I dont want to steal her Thunder.... 😀 ...but she is pretty excited. 

Today I went west and then south as these areas have more trails in the woods and was trying to avoid areas that drift. Got a good stuck on high elevation trying to go around some big drifts, took about 45 minutes to dig myself out. But most of the trails were excellent. When I returned to RDL I tried going east on 5. Huge drifts, pretty much impassable. Could see where most sleds turned around within a mile.  Wind did settle down quite a bit today compared to yesterday.

mike

IMG_0557.JPG

IMG_0558.JPG

IMG_0559.JPG

35 minutes ago, mcstar said:

Mike you went out by yourself?

Better than not riding. Friend rolling in tonight, then a few more off and on the next couple weeks. I ride alone maybe a third of the time. I just love to ride, and I never get tired of the same loops out of RDL.  Plenty of past years saddle bagging, just getting old, I guess.

mike

2 hours ago, mikerider said:

Better than not riding. Friend rolling in tonight, then a few more off and on the next couple weeks. I ride alone maybe a third of the time. I just love to ride, and I never get tired of the same loops out of RDL.  Plenty of past years saddle bagging, just getting old, I guess.

mike

Mike, need I remind you, if you didn't leave poor George at home, you wouldn't be riding solo...

I am feeling bad now that I came without him. He is pretty excited about kayaking this summer after hearing kayaks don't go triple digits and don't catch air. (Didn't tell him about waterfalls).

And Terry, he would love to go visit his uncle in Vermont!

9 hours ago, mikerider said:

I am feeling bad now that I came without him. He is pretty excited about kayaking this summer after hearing kayaks don't go triple digits and don't catch air. (Didn't tell him about waterfalls).

And Terry, he would love to go visit his uncle in Vermont!

Bad idea Mike, I have a dog and two physco cats, that monkey wouldn't last a day. He is much better off in the wilds of Maine!

Jak and I rode over to Rimouski and looped around to Squatec. Trails overall were wonderful. Met lots of groomers on the trail along the way. I sometimes wish for safety sake the groomers could only be allowed out after 4 pm. Met a group of riders at the Rimouski club house who stated they were stranded in Matane for four days because of the storm and drifting.  Not long after our arrival back to the hotel, GT Rider and Mrs. Gt arrived and we had a great visit.  His adventure stories are always the best, so anxious to read his stories of this trip.

A few people at the beginning of the season said they wanted to know how I liked the new ACE 900 in the G4 wide body chassis. I am around the 4,700 mile mark now and best sled ever. Oil and filter, adjust chain and track once, that is it. This newer version has a few more horsepower than the earlier versions and I notice it at the higher speeds, more punch from 60-80 and doesn't slow down as much in the softer snow, head winds, up hill etc. Gas mileage is close to the old versions, maybe just a little less. While I have read the G4 two strokes take more body english riding them, the G4 wide body is not like that. It is extremely stable, no inside ski lift, ski suspension is softer/much better than older versions. Also the G4 has an optional shock mount hole for the rear shock. This changes the angle of the shock to make it ride more plush. I now have 400 miles on this adjustment and so far very impressed with the plushness it added to the rear suspension ride. It only takes a couple minutes to do; remove bolt, move shock to line up with the other hole, and install bolt. I did this while the sled was in the back of my truck. Turbos probably also have this extra hole for the adjustment. I really like the new seat with the lip in back to hold you in place. I never liked the flat seats.

mike

IMG_0565.JPG

IMG_0564.JPG

IMG_0561.JPG

Mike

Depending on what time we get in we might take a short ride for a light snack.

What was that pub/place you mentioned you enjoyed early this season not far out from the famed MR underpass ? How far out is it ?

Mark

Mark,    Rockford Resto Pub, about 20 miles from the hotel, watch for a sign and left turn,  groomed to the pub. Keep bearing left after the tunnels ---except at the gas station ten miles out. Go thru the gas station and continue on trail behind gas station. Other than that, just remember to keep bearing left.

Riyamaha        I should be around after 4:30,    room 165,    back side of hotel,     

Edited by mikerider

Beautiful sunny day and not nearly as cold as past few days. Trails were A+ except a dozen miles of the RR bed on 35 until we met the groomer.  Coffee at Karamouski Club (spelling?) then south to Frontier Chevellier club for lunch.  Still finding the morning groomer report very inaccurate.  Jak and I started the morning on a club trail for 20 miles that is a nice mix of narrow wooded, power line and fields (west on 5 past Polaris dealer, Tim Hortons/gas station, then 3rd right off 5, then keep bearing left until returning to 5).  Might name this 'Smuggler's Trail'.

Had a nice visit last night with GT Rider and Mrs. GT. Their adventure stories are incredible. Could listen to them all night.

And riding with Jak, that boy can ride. He is my partner in next year's Alaska Iron Dog Race, he just doesn't  know it yet. He came here with great hopes of getting better gas mileage with his new 600R over my 900 ACE.  Didn't happen. We went down a long hill to a gas station, I had two bars and he had a gas light on, and his sled was sputtering come down the hill like it was running out of gas. 

I know there are a lot of Valarie (the waitress) fans like myself.  She turned 40 today. I would have guessed 30. 

Got to chat with a New Brunswick crew in the bar tonight, group I see once a year. NB people are a special breed, and I mean that in a good way.  They are a hearty rugged bunch of people.

Hopefully the pic can show what looks like a hemmeroid pad attached atop the seat of an old Legend 1000 VTwin. 

When we left our coffee stop, we saw what appeared to be a 1980 Kawasaki Invader parked at the club house.  60 miles later, taking the fastest route, we arrive for lunch at the Frontier Club House. One minute later, in pulls the Kawasaki!!!   Maybe rider forward sleds are a hoax!

mike

IMG_0570.JPG

IMG_0572.JPG

IMG_0568.JPG

IMG_0574.JPG

Hi Mark,  The tunnels have been in good shape this year, although I haven't been through them this year. You can bypass them  by going  straight when the trail bears left just after the gas station next to the hotel.  Trail is along the road and will get you over to the main trail.

Hi Mike,

I see you making points with Valerie.  Brilliant!  The mayor is trying for free drinks tonight.

That Kawasaki brings back memories.  I had a 440 fan cooled in my younger days.  72 mph top speed on a good day.

Jack & Sandi

Three bluebird days with smooth trails, warm temps, doesn't get any better. Jack (Sandi's better half) showed up and will be riding with us tomorrow. I now have a witness on how horrible Mikeriders 900 ace is on fuel.

3 hours ago, revct1 said:

Hi Mike,

I see you making points with Valerie.  Brilliant!  The mayor is trying for free drinks tonight.

That Kawasaki brings back memories.  I had a 440 fan cooled in my younger days.  72 mph top speed on a good day.

Jack & Sandi

I used to race the Invader and the 9500 blizzards back on Mcgregor lake back in the 70’s. They were quick. My el tigre was often no match. Fun back in the day with so many different brands

My first sled was a new '65 Olympique, so I remember fondly all those old sleds.

Today was another perfect day of riding, St.. Pamphille for lunch. Trails flat and smooth as silk. Happy hour with Jak and Jack. Then Jack and I had a fantastic meal at Symposium (an earlier post I mistakenly called it Suspension Restaurant). Later a drink in the Bar with Eastmark and wife Lisa. Then a huge honor, Gt Rider was in the lobby and introduced me to Towing (Alain) and wife Krista.  GT Rider and Towing in the same room. It doesn't get any better. Hopefully GT rider writes up about his ride to Isle Verte, sounds great. (He is posting on the Gaspe section, Gemma's pictures are wonderful). 

Perfect Day. Even stopped by police for a paperwork check. They were really friendly and nice. Saw Canadian AAA picking up a broken down Polaris. And got up this morning and thought my sled had a litter of kittens.

mike

IMG_0577.JPG

IMG_0576.JPG