2019 Riviere du Loup Area Trail Conditions

mikerider

Hotel was mobbed last nite. Nice to see Mike and catch up a little.

St Pamphile loop today. Great trails except 35 railbed was rough the 5 miles or so we were on it...then slipped onto 557 to Pamphile which was amazing. Right about 200 miles...lots of smiles. Car buried way out on trail 5....cant fix stupid. Glad to be back in RDL.

Yesterday saw from 1/2 inch to four inches of snow in the region. The trails over the past few days have been so nice, I think my new sled is only a few days away from 6,000 miles.

Lots of friends here riding that has made this vacation really special.  If you haven't been following GT Rider's reports of his Gaspe trip and his stay for a few days in RDL, you should check it out under the Gaspe region of QR. He and Mrs. GT have taken lots of great pictures and he gives such special reports of his rides. He really captured the heart and soul of this area and the other areas of his trip. And his trip isn't over yet.

mike

IMG_0583.JPG

IMG_0591.JPG

IMG_0594.JPG

IMG_0580.JPG

Oh oh!  It just stopped running coming out of that last corner.  It felt like it was firing on one cylinder for hundred meters and then came to a rolling stop.  Did it run out of fuel?  No it was full of fuel 40 miles ago.  Blown belt.  No. 

Boy there is a lot of steam coming out from under that right side panel.  Hey Mike & Joe, I don't remember seeing the pink snow when the sled stopped.  Hmm?  The anti-freeze bottle is empty.  We can only move the primary clutch about an inch in either direction and it makes a funny clunking sound. 

13,000 miles on the 850.  I thought these were going to go further than the 800 E-tecs.  My last two E-tecs I had 15,000 and 13,500 no rebuilds on either.

Sandi isn't with me on this trip.  First time she couldn't make it in years.  Her new 600R is in the trailer!  Should I?

Jack & no Sandi

Good luck Jack. Shit happens doesnt it...always good to be amongst freinds when it does !

Any on-trail SkiDoo 2 stroke oil options between RDL and Tourville. ?

A buddy is saddlebagging and wants to grab some on a loop today !

I have heard gas stations often carry the good stuff. If you are on 5 west, there is a SkiDoo dealer after the Kamarouski club house,,,,go another few miles after the club house and watch for right turn, and sign for SkiDoo dealer.  About ten miles down that trail. 

1 hour ago, revct1 said:

Oh oh!  It just stopped running coming out of that last corner.  It felt like it was firing on one cylinder for hundred meters and then came to a rolling stop.  Did it run out of fuel?  No it was full of fuel 40 miles ago.  Blown belt.  No. 

Boy there is a lot of steam coming out from under that right side panel.  Hey Mike & Joe, I don't remember seeing the pink snow when the sled stopped.  Hmm?  The anti-freeze bottle is empty.  We can only move the primary clutch about an inch in either direction and it makes a funny clunking sound. 

13,000 miles on the 850.  I thought these were going to go further than the 800 E-tecs.  My last two E-tecs I had 15,000 and 13,500 no rebuilds on either.

Sandi isn't with me on this trip.  First time she couldn't make it in years.  Her new 600R is in the trailer!  Should I?

Jack & no Sandi

Ugh, sorry to hear Jack! Was pretty sure I saw you on Sandi's yellow Doo in another picture, wondered what was up. Any diagnosis on the 850 yet? I'm guessing that the Mayor is pushing you hard towards a new 900? I can tell you, after having ridden both mine and Mollys 850's over the past two years, then jumping on the 900T, there are no regrets! 

10 hours ago, neksledr said:

Ugh, sorry to hear Jack! Was pretty sure I saw you on Sandi's yellow Doo in another picture, wondered what was up. Any diagnosis on the 850 yet? I'm guessing that the Mayor is pushing you hard towards a new 900? I can tell you, after having ridden both mine and Mollys 850's over the past two years, then jumping on the 900T, there are no regrets! 

After 10,000 miles any 2 stroke is a ticking time bomb in my opinion! For QC trails loving the 900T!

13 hours ago, revct1 said:

Jack & no Sandi

I think I would be asking for a new motor.  My dealer made that a selling point for buying ours. Check your oil level.  Sounds like crank is broken.  

On the good side we were in Quebec last weekend and had a long ride between gas stops. Both our 850s went 130 miles and took 24 liters to fill. At that mileage and this is hard to believe we should be able to ride 200 miles plus on a full tank. Granted we were not real hard on the throttle.  

53 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

After 10,000 miles any 2 stroke is a ticking time bomb in my opinion! For QC trails loving the 900T!

True enough. That’s why you can’t beat the four year warranty, a free engine at year three, and you sell it with one year warranty. 

33 minutes ago, scorpionbowl said:

True enough. That’s why you can’t beat the four year warranty, a free engine at year three, and you sell it with one year warranty. 

Except when your on a bag trip 800 miles from your truck. Happened too many times with us in the last 12 years. Not worth the hassle. Fine if you do day loops

5 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

So true, every time I've blown a 2 stroke it had high miles and I was pinning it.

Had some friends in town one day and they asked where we were going yesterday and if we minded if they came. It was their first time here in RDL. We were going to do the island and then a loop but since they wanted to come we thought they should see more of the trails vs the island visit. 2 couples, seasoned riders, real nice people...Im in charge...what can possibly go wrong ? LOL

Left by 9 and I got very lucky. The groomers made me look like a professional tour guide. Connector trails to 5 were all flat.  85 out to 544...second tracks perfect. Right on 544...first tracks ...perfect.. 526 cut thru...first tracks perfect. 526 to Explorours...flat with about 4-5” of new on top...real nice. I looked like a genius. Haha.

Stopped there for pics under the arch and coffee then up 35. Flat and about 5-6” new snow...nice. A little more work but not much s8nce it was flat beneath the new snow and fast. 571 thru St Pamphile...just awesome...got gas in town...then thru to Club Jasmin in Tourville...all excellent.  Took 35 back...lot of loose snow so a little more busy riding with snow pounded down and some groove in it but smooth. Cut over 557.....mint mint mint. Then took 5 back thru Adenturers which was very good except corners a little chopped...then gassed up and back to Universel. Success !

So about 220 miles,...they are hooked on RDL and leave for their next saddlebag stop today on their way back toward Rangeley with a smile. Real nice people. We had fun hanging with them and showing them part of the RDL area. Lisa and did 640 miles overall and had a ball. Back to Maine for more local riding the rest of the season after breakfast and loading up. Back to RDL next year God willing !

We cant thank Mike and others enough for all the knowledge shared here. If I can play group Tour Guide for a day...it has to be great info and lots of it. Til next time....  🙂

Meant to say this...

We hadn't been out thru or back 5 past the sled dealer ect to/from RDL in 2 years. We did last nite and it was fine...but made me appreciate the new route over the highway from the hotel and past the cut thru tunnel toward St Phillipe. 

Much better option unless you are heading over that way for a reason IMO. Less hectic and road crossings.

12 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

Except when your on a bag trip 800 miles from your truck. Happened too many times with us in the last 12 years. Not worth the hassle. Fine if you do day loops

I resemble that remark...

16 hours ago, scorpionbowl said:

You bet, snow check the sled, ride the first season, no payment until April, ride the second season, sell it in March, with 2 years of warranty, and snow check a new one, YOU ONLY HAVE TO MAKE 12 PAYMENTS, NO MONEY DOWN, and it is easy to sell, and never have a problem, and know the new owner has a 2 year warranty, he will not be coming back to you!! I kept too many sleds too long and could not give them away, 2 stroke or four stroke.

After checking the groomer map at 7:30 this morning, thought maybe it was a groomer's holiday. But the ride proved the groomers worked overtime last night. Most trails over 225 miles had been freshly groomed, even met a couple groomers on perfectly smooth trails. Great day, thru the tunnels and west to Kamarouski and then dropped south to Chevelliers Frontier club house. 
We then dropped further south almost to New Brunswick doing green local trails that are on the west side of 85. Up 85 to Cabano to the brick oven pizza place that GT Rider raved about (near the Tim Horton's in Cabano). Let's just say we all can't wait to go back there, it is that good. Five Stars!  Rode with Jak, Farmerold, Keith and Mark. Awesome bunch.

Sorry to see Jack go home this morning. We had fun. 

And Eastmark and Lisa went home. They get in a full day everyday they are here. Their two new turbo Cats look pretty sweet.

mike