Joliette/St-Zenon photo ride report 12january2019

towing

Back to sledding for our first 2019 ride, the snow cover has improved and the trail network get pretty much completed in the south of the region while it is already well run further north. Being able to start from home we then  improvise our ride that happened to be this in the end

carte_zpsrsikqrff.jpg

It was pretty cold yesterday, -21C blue jay day, top conditions to have beautiful trails. Here in the fields near home in Joliette direction

DSC00195_zpssdqq76cj.jpg

To go toward St-Félix de Valois the trail configuration have been modified to pass nearer of Joliette city just behind Lapointe sport brp dealer

DSC00201_zps1t21thjd.jpg

Here is a screen shot of the interactive map for this sector and I added in red dashed the old approximate route for Joliette (who is not there anymore) just to give you an idea of the change. On the interactive map the trail to St-Norbert is still in red today but I confirm that it was groomed yesterday, we passed there on our return

carte2_zpsoqyqpaq0.jpg

Here near Notre Dame de Lourdes where the old junction was in the past years

DSC00211_zpsopokmc5v.jpg

We then crossed St-Felix and continued north. The small club shack that was in the same place for years has been moved
 a hundred meters in the woods just behind where it was and the trail path rearranged a little differently but as before, left St-Jean de Matha and right St-Gabriel de Brandon

https://vimeo.com/311081145

the snow condition is very good everywhere, here taking the old railway bed near St-Cléophas

DSC00239_zpsnk86fuib.jpg

DSC00240_zpspt1ktqpj.jpg

And here just behind St-Gabriel de Brandon city

DSC00244_zps7rwt1lue.jpg

And here, riding up the big hill in St-Damien

DSC00258_zps4zksza2w.jpg

DSC00261_zpsu2kvlxni.jpg

We continued straight on #23 toward St-Zénon. Snow is obviously even better going norther, both on the ground and in the trees

DSC00274_zpsbisrefpw.jpg

Another important change, the #350 coming from Koubec now arrives on the #23  five miles south of Real Massé instead of  five miles north. We came back from this side in the afternoon

DSC00292_zpsatlofzhm.jpg

DSC00294_zpsbjvkp8es.jpg

The interactive map has also been updated, the red trail showing the old closed route and the #350 trail in green below representing the reality

carte3_zpscf26tvfa.jpg

We continued through the #23, past Réal Massé ...

DSC00301_zpsblqgi30t.jpg

we then turned left on the # 350 toward La Glacière. Another interesting change there, the trail instead of going through the big hills now pass by the old route of several years ago. Some may recognize this big gazebo left on the trail side

DSC00316_zpsorswifka.jpg

Just infront, the magnificent auberge de la pourvoirie St-Zenon! I was so surprised to pass there that I had not even think to stop for lunch but by looking on https://www.snowmobilecountry.ca/en/ they are really open. I put them on the bucket list for a next time...

DSC00319_zpskyo4q8qv.jpg

We continued just a little further to La Glaciere

DSC00321_zps3biv9vvc.jpg

Where we had already planned to stop for lunch

DSC00324_zpsbsdwuf2w.jpg

After warming up with a good meal we continued on #63 trail toward St-Zénon village

DSC00330_zpsnful4l5t.jpg

And then north of the village we continued toward Le Cabanon

DSC00347_zps2ztoogor.jpg

DSC00352_zpsjw3ojced.jpg

There was a small segment of an half mile that was really rought on this trail,  We then know from the Cabanon that this is because the dozer is not able to climb one of the icy hill just before ... The new dozers with rubber tracks spin on the ice while the old Gilberts with steel bars tracks were able to climb up ... the club will have to find a solution.

Otherwise the snow is really good in this area, impressive how it increased in the last month.

DSC00363_zpsmzhpr8hl.jpg

We stopped to refuel the venture at Cabanon.

DSC00366_zps07xexrbp.jpg

And then took the  #23 toward south

DSC00371_zps1oqm9sk4.jpg

We then forked into the Mastigouche reserve still via #23 east

DSC00381_zps9j9deva8.jpg

DSC00386_zpsftmkx6ww.jpg

The Mastigouche Reserve was one of the first places to ride this season and is still top notch. Here a picnic table buried under the snow

DSC00389_zps1momeccp.jpg

DSC00395_zpsqv8m3epy.jpg

We then turned on the #345 south to go down toward Koubec. We just went into the yard and continued, there were many sledders there!

dsc413c_zpswsdfiz0l.jpg

We turned to continue the #345  and then switch on the #350 a little further continuing west

DSC00414_zpsbdui5ri2.jpg

it's here that the #350 route is changing this year. There is this indication and the trail turns to the left

DSC00425_zps5rztrxge.jpg

A brand new trail to discover in Zec des Nymphes, very panoramic on the first part. In fact this new trail sectiion has everything from great fast stretch to narrow zipper on the mountainside!

DSC00429_zpsbwzh2j1k.jpg

We then ended up on the #23 trail five miles south of Real Massé where we already pass in the morning. We took it south and took a break a little further at the restaurant of the Pourvoirie St-Damien. We must have passed 100 times infront since all these years but we were never stopped. They are well installed, a beautiful fireplace inside with bar and dining room. It was a particularly cold day yesterday and the hot chocolate was really nice!

DSC00440_zpsesxmyl55.jpg

We then continued south, here the setting sun just south of St-Gabriel de Brandon

DSC00459_zpst6jlwfs7.jpg

We then continued on #63 trail to go toward St-Norbert. Here the sun lying behind us when crossing the # 347 road

DSC00460_zpsbwwagzwd.jpg

We then went through the local trail from St. Norbert/St-Elizabeth to St-Thomas which was closed in the morning. this trail had just been groomed during the day and had no time to harden so not very nicel but with a couple of days and  a couple grooming pass it will be top shape. We finally got home around 5:15 pm with a little over 191 miles on the dreammeter. In the end a beautiful ride with very nice conditions overall but pretty cold despite the beautiful sun.

The season is well started, the trail network is pretty much connected to travel between the regions, you can take a look here to have some more details of the areas you want to ride: https://www.snowmobilecountry.ca/en/conditions/

the best of the sledding season is beginning. It's time to enjoy!

Alain

Edited by towing

On 1/13/2019 at 8:26 PM, viper2 said:

Looks like you had a good ride Alain, the snow is there for sure

Was one cold and sunny,  I'm at planning a two day ride for the next weekend and seems it will be a cold and snowy! pretty much snow on the forecast...

On 1/13/2019 at 8:54 PM, mrgrumpers said:

Alain, again another amazing report.  I enjoy reading these over and over.  Thanks for the continued posting of the reports.

Thank you mrgrumpers ! should have some more to come...

On 1/13/2019 at 9:01 PM, Cobra said:

Hey Alain, looks like you had excellent ride!!!!.Noticed a lot of changes myself on certain trails while I was in your back yard.

Ride on my friend!!!!

Chris

Yeah, at least with the interactive map, it can be updated now and those changes give us the chance to ride some new spots in our same area. 

On 1/13/2019 at 9:01 PM, snowmaster2112 said:

Perfect day. Glad you had a great ride. So glad to see the areas all good with snow now. 

Saturday cant come soon enough. 

Seems we will have a cold and snowy weekend so you will play in powder!  There are big chances that I spend the saturday night at relais 22 if you are in the area...

19 hours ago, Carman said:

Great report Alain, I really enjoyed reading it and the pictures are beautiful. 

Thank you Carman! The beauty of the pics are really from my best half talent with her old camera. I will have to improvise if I want to post something from my next weekend ride because she won't be with me for this next one.

12 hours ago, Trailblazer said:

I’m happy to see the trails are that nice that far south, means less of a drive for me. Lapointe Sport 1 hour to the trail. Another storm should bring southern trails connected.

I'm impressed myself too and it seems the next snow layer is already on the way!

5 hours ago, grumpysanta said:

SUPER looking pics. and good to see u can leave from home.. Hope to see u soon..

Thanks Grumpysanta, always nice to start from the backdoor! would be nice to meet you on the trail.