Stolen Sleds

sledzz

Just heard of a stolen sled from the back of a truck, with a trailer on behind, in a locked compound in the St. Zenon area. How does this happen without people seeing it or help from someone within?? 

What do you use to lock up your snowmobiles? or is it even worth it?

My stuff is so old....  If I found out who was stealing sleds and dropped off my sleds with them,  They would deliver them back to the hotel I was staying at! 

Do any of you guys with enclosed trailers have an alarm wired to the doors or have considered installing one?

years ago, installed quite a few car alarms and I used to use these motor driven sirens that were super loud. Seems to me one mounted on the roof under a weather protected hood would attract a lot of attention.

It is like out running a bear with your buddy, you don't have to be faster then the bear, just your buddy. You just have to do enough to make your sled or sleds harder to steal then others in the parking lot. A big chain or cable lock system connecting two or more sleds together increases the odds of you avoiding the bear.

1 hour ago, smclelan said:

It is like out running a bear with your buddy, you don't have to be faster then the bear, just your buddy. You just have to do enough to make your sled or sleds harder to steal then others in the parking lot. A big chain or cable lock system connecting two or more sleds together increases the odds of you avoiding the bear.

A parking cab. A second cab all beat up, duct tape everywhere, windshield broken etc.👌

22 hours ago, NHsrx701 said:

My stuff is so old....

Hey srx, to not let it go unappreciated:

Your member snapshot over there on the left has some great stuff. 

I had no clue about Hydrostreaming, let alone Cavitation and Ventilation?!

1 hour ago, grumpysanta said:

Thats what J.G  says about his trailer , looks like no one would want it

But now he is buying a new one. May I suggest static cling  signs, something like JG’s emergency septic repairs ought to do it.

On 1/19/2019 at 9:37 AM, Jackstraw said:
On 1/19/2019 at 10:16 AM, Carman said:

Agreed, Saint Zenon is the worst area for theft.

Best security measure is to avoid that area. If something is going to get stolen,  more then likely it's in that area.

It's easy to make that statement guys but not 100% fair statements. There are thefts all around Quebec every year, the closer to the bigger cities the more prevalent. The area St Zenon is in not only is close to Montreal which has one of if not the highest auto theft rates in North America but it is also an area that gets a lot of snow and a lot of traffic. The fact that there are so many trails in the network makes it a desirable place for day loops by many people that possibly have never been to Quebec and don't take precautions they should. Most guys on this site  know the theft problem and take safety measures. I no one that is familiar with Quebec that would lock their stuff up in St. Zenon  yet not do it in St. Raymond or Jonquiere or Val D' Or. Not sure how many guys ever took notice how many people really view this site yet never post or comment. I think sometimes we don't consider this when commenting I have done this myself. My point is we use this site gather and share information and sometimes we make comments that while not totally false, really  doesn't help anything

6 hours ago, viper2 said:

take precautions they should

Respectfully put, especially toward Dennis & Co. who we've all benefitted from, be it for grooming or fuel or rescue.

And the sheer numbers at some places will trend toward the few bad-apples on the wrong side of the law, or the wrong side of the trail. 

We have been going to St. Zenon for years and historically did early January when no one else was open yet. The last 6-8 years have not really been doing that trip but before this year the last 2 times I was there we left Le Cabanon for home at 5AM and got pulled over both times in St. Zenon by the Police just as a check that we were not stealing anything. We welcomed it and actually thanked the officer  

As I read all the post on this topic, I am disappointed to see no one posting any facts, such as where , when , who was the victim , or circumstances , ( key in sled , truck or trailer , location of theft etc.). Thefts happen in the USA as well as Canada but we never see those posted. We should know all the facts and circumstances before we condemn an area. All we know right now is here say , or as our President Trump calls it “FAKE NEWS!!!”. 

Just my opinion.

Hank

2 hours ago, Snappy Hank said:

As I read all the post on this topic, I am disappointed to see no one posting any facts, such as where , when , who was the victim , or circumstances , ( key in sled , truck or trailer , location of theft etc.). Thefts happen in the USA as well as Canada but we never see those posted. We should know all the facts and circumstances before we condemn an area. All we know right now is here say , or as our President Trump calls it “FAKE NEWS!!!”. 

Just my opinion.

Hank

That would be a good idea, where when and any other circumstances relevant as well as pics or descriptions of the stolen property could be helpful.