900mhz communicator performance question.

Nitrofish

Gentlemen, I have finally made my way back to being interested in purchasing some communicators. I had a terrible experience with them back in the very early 90's when they were 49 MHz. If you were not directly next to each other, they just did not work. They were only good for when you stopped at an intersection and needed to discuss which way to go without taking your helmet off. What I am looking for is a REAL world performance evaluation from END USERS, not advertising. How do these things work in the woods, over hill and dale? I am not so interested in how they work in the "line of sight" range, to me that's cheatin'. We ride 3-7 day bagger trips deep in the bush and our motto is "if you can see snow dust, your too close". We ride at least a quarter of a mile between each sled, minimum, for safety reasons. How do you find these 900 MHz to work in these conditions? Can you actually communicate 1 mile away in the woods? Please, any input would be greatly appreciated, because I really hate getting burned twice on the same product.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Nitrofish

Gentlemen, I have finally made my way back to being interested in purchasing some communicators. I had a terrible experience with them back in the very early 90's when they were 49 MHz. If you were not directly next to each other, they just did not work. They were only good for when you stopped at an intersection and needed to discuss which way to go without taking your helmet off. What I am looking for is a REAL world performance evaluation from END USERS, not advertising. How do these things work in the woods, over hill and dale? I am not so interested in how they work in the "line of sight" range, to me that's cheatin'. We ride 3-7 day bagger trips deep in the bush and our motto is "if you can see snow dust, your too close". We ride at least a quarter of a mile between each sled, minimum, for safety reasons. How do you find these 900 MHz to work in these conditions? Can you actually communicate 1 mile away in the woods? Please, any input would be greatly appreciated, because I really hate getting burned twice on the same product.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Nitrofish

Hi Nitrofish

I have had a Collect Snofone for 3 years. For my type of riding it is great but for what you want, 1/4 mile or more ability to communicate, I don't think you would be happy.

Bill

You can buy motorola handheld units and helmet speaker and microphone kits that some people use for long distance communications. Your distance is only limited to how powerful a unit you buy. I think you can get up to a 5 watt unit portable unit. You may need an FCC license though, and the cost is very high. A good professional radio shop can help you to get set up.

Our group has never had good results with the communicators. The problems always relate to VOX and the noise inside the helmets opens everyone’s microphone and nothing seems to work. This year I purchased a GPS with a 5 watt radio built in. Garmin Rino 530 HCX. I wanted a GPS anyway and thought the radio function would be useful. You need to use the push to talk feature. I then found the software with all the trails in Quebec is available for free. Its offered over on Hard Core Sledder. The radio-GPS mounted real clean on my handlebars and the radio function worked great. Also the trails on GPS work great. Saved our group from wrong turns a couple of different occasions. Also I purchased everything needed for hard wire to the sled. It wasn't needed even in cold temps single digits at the end of the day still half the battery was available. ---Mac---