In Parent we are

snowmaster2112

3 hours ago, mikerider said:

Is Manawan a friendly place now? It gave me bad vibes when I was there over a dozen years ago.

Does Waymotaci also have the Mad Max vibe with native folks moving around in slo-mo?

One of those towns has an indoor ice skating rink that we "had to" go inside to bake some boots full of frozen water in their cafeteria oven (New England Bob story for another time), and the little kids who were eyeing the sleds were selling little dream catchers made of bone & strung with gut, so needless to say we stimulated the local economy, and it immediately proved to be a good-luck charm BECAUSE OUR SLEDS & BAGS WERE STILL THERE WHEN WENT BACK OUTSIDE! 

On 1/23/2019 at 6:25 AM, snowmaster2112 said:

Gonna see if I can get him to take a breakfast sausage right from my hand in awhile.

The fox at Gouin have better manners than our dog at home. They will eat from your hand. Disclaimer: it is a wild animal so if it takes your finger it’s your fault 

On 1/24/2019 at 11:14 AM, doonali said:

Some things have changed in Manawan since my first visit in 1995. A nice new grocery store with gas pumps without cages or locks and the Auberge Manawan that I've only heard good things about.

With that being said some things haven't changed, stray dogs running the streets that look to be starving and kids interested in the outside world and that occasional stare like you have three heads......:shok:

Thats why I go in. I love it all 

On 1/24/2019 at 11:31 AM, Blueblood said:

Snowmaster how did your friend make out with his sled that blew the belt and took out the crank seal?

Dealer put a new one on and also had them shim the shaft on the secondary to bring into perfect alignment. No trb whatsoever this past week and 1200 miles. 

On 1/24/2019 at 11:14 AM, doonali said:

Some things have changed in Manawan since my first visit in 1995. A nice new grocery store with gas pumps without cages or locks and the Auberge Manawan that I've only heard good things about.

With that being said some things haven't changed, stray dogs running the streets that look to be starving and kids interested in the outside world and that occasional stare like you have three heads......:shok:

I mostly agree but the dogs look like their fed relatively well nowadays. I did however get f’ed over by one when we were there outside the supermarket/gas pumps. We had decided to eat there real quick instead of the restaurant. I talked one of my buddies into splitting a whole rotisserie chicken and we had it outside sitting on top of the sled seat. We were just picking at it like Neanderthals and a couple dogs came over real nice and sat there and begged. Well over the course i through a couple 4-5 chunks to each one as a token gesture. Good thing it was just about done and when my buddy and I turned our heads to talk to our 3rd guy who was 30ft away the one dog grabs the chicken off my seat and starts running down the street with it. We laughed our asses off as did two Indians pumping gas. 

Ive been through Manawan a crap load over the years. Yes you get some strange looks sometimes and yes the kids and dogs are always around but I have NEVER heard of any trouble or problems there. EVER. Just go in and get your gas and groceries and be on your way. And if you want to stay in a real nice new modern hotel try the Auberge out. Right at the top of the hill next to the trail and police station.

Finished the trip up yesterday in St Jean de Matha 130 mile ride from my buddies camp up at the end of the M19 trail on Lac Chapeau de Paille. It’s pretty much in between Matawin and the Repos. 1200 beautiful miles this past week with two great friends. No troubles and GREAT ridng. Got home at 11 pm last night and already want to go back. Here is a pick from the camp yesterday morning before we left.

We decided to name the trip “The Cabin 1200 Tour” as the first two nights and the last were in the above cabin. The middle 3 nights were in a cabin in Parent, The Gouin and 100 Lacs. So a “cabin” all 6 nights.

thanks for following along the trip & here’s wishing everyone “Happy Trails” !!!!!

6448E514-FD0A-45DE-869C-ADDA356AFC18.jpeg

Edited by snowmaster2112

1 hour ago, dooright said:

Finished the trip up yesterday in St Jean de Matha 130 mile ride from my buddies camp up at the end of the M19 trail on Lac Chapeau de Paille. 

M19 or M20 ?

End of M19, been going there for almost 20 yrs now. There is an old small airstrip there. The groomer has historically just came to the airstrip and turned around and went out. This is the first year he kept going and circled the lake thus creating a 6 mile mini Formula 1 race track. We didn’t even know this until we went there last Saturday. I ran it several times that night and like 5 times the next day. The record (and recorded) best lap time is 7:23 sec. around the 6 miles by yours truly. 😏

04CD738E-11E9-49ED-8219-AD702B1FC42E.jpeg

54 minutes ago, snowmaster2112 said:

End of M19, been going there for almost 20 yrs now. There is an old small airstrip there. The groomer has historically just came to the airstrip and turned around and went out. This is the first year he kept going and circled the lake thus creating a 6 mile mini Formula 1 race track. We didn’t even know this until we went there last Saturday. I ran it several times that night and like 5 times the next day. The record (and recorded) best lap time is 7:23 sec. around the 6 miles by yours truly. 😏

04CD738E-11E9-49ED-8219-AD702B1FC42E.jpeg

Nice area !  It's M-21 on my map tho

20190126_215614.jpg

loll Chris 😄 

I had to write to tell I really enjoyed your trip report, you should write more often was really good. I really got the picture in my head of the dog stealing you chicken and running down the steet loll 😅😅.

I had heard about the chateauvert ruins but seing it...ouch!!! 

have a good next one my friend:drinks: