A new @ stroke from YAMAHA????

wulsock1

You can be sure if Yamaha is coming back with a 2 stroke, it will be like no other sleds 2 stroke. They made the best 2 strokes in the industry and on the water, hope it comes to a trail sled as well as the mountain. I am surprised though, sleds are the very smallest part of that company and I was beginning to think maybe they were getting ready to say good bye, but 880 sounds like they picked that size to come back and make a statement, but everyone knows that only a very small percentage of people buy the big iron and mostly that segment is not that profitable, time will tell, here's to hoping.

I know I will never buy a 2 stroke again even if it is a Yamaha. I consider myself lucky getting 17,000km on my Viper 700 with no blowup. We all trail ride other than guys like Dooright and MarkusVt and few others that ride sleds off the beaten path, so a sled weighing 100lbs more makes no difference. Plus if you like to go fast you will want the added weight.

The reliability, not having to worry about oil, carrying oil and spark plugs are hug benefits to me.

I am glad we all don't ride the same sleds though, or the talk at the bar and hotels would not be so fun lol.

16 minutes ago, Fozzy said:

Plus if you like to go fast you will want the added weight.

Exactly

I ride my Apex not carry it. I put 58k km on my 2008 Apex and 44k km on my 2014 Apex so I know they go and go no worries.

I agree with everyone here. I personally and this may sound different have not ridden any ones sled except my own and my sons since 2007. Reason is every sled has something attractive that others don't.  My problem would be I might like a couple things about a different sled and forget about the many things I love about the one I'm riding now. So changing brands is something I would have to think hard and long about.  

So I'm keeping what I know works for me and I think everyone should keep what they enjoy.  

These are my opinions and only mine. Also note I didn't name my brand of snowmobile.  Everyone, your choice is up to you and sled bashing is not good for anyone. 

Ice I believe your high mileage with your sleds is mainly because you take care of your ride the same as you do your truck. If it breaks fix it now not before it breaks something else.  

Be safe every one.  There's still a lot of riding to do. 

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 11:26 AM, Shore1066 said:

Ice I believe your high mileage with your sleds is mainly because you take care of your ride the same as you do your truck. If it breaks fix it now not before it breaks something else.  

There are many sleds that are taken care of and we can all agree that maintenance generally adds longevity but there are certainly other things that are also in play. Design, quality/strength of materials, and build quality are a few that come to mind.

I realize there are strong feelings in the 2-stroke vs 4-stroke camps but from a purely engineering standpoint, a 2-stroke will never last as long as a 4-stroke because the 4-stroke has the advantage of consistent lubrication. The consistent lubrication also provides consistent, distributed cooling which always makes engines last longer - period.