Joliette/St-Donat Black Mountain photo-ride report 26january2019

towing

My sweetheart being back from her trip, she accompanied me riding yesterday to see the Black Mountain of St-Donat. We made a nice big loop of 235 miles following the route below

carte_zpsmeatybs0.jpg

The bad weather last Thursday (January 24th) left some ice in the trees in the south of my area. Here on trail # 43 near home in St-Thomas

DSC00003_zpsop9mambn.jpg

We took the #3 trail westbound. Beautiful hard and fast trail,  a bit hard (-17C this morning) so I lowered a scratchcher for security but not really necessary.

DSC00014_zps8pqf0u2h.jpg

Here a river in  St-Roch l'Achigan area. A little scary but it's just some water that had risen on the ice and frozen there, very solid. We crossed several rivers and they were all in good condition, this one being the worst

DSC00022_zpsk758w7zo.jpg

In St-Lin direction, still some ice  in the trees and perfect trail

DSC00034_zps4g6zezm9.jpg

We passed through St-Calixte ...

DSC00047_zpsqoasia2n.jpg

DSC00048_zpso8toll4s.jpg

and ride to the #33 trail that we took in west direction(northwest)

DSC00049_zpsyrnffcv8.jpg

DSC00063_zpsljb9ms87.jpg

Here on the lake at Ste-Marguerite Lake Masson

DSC00072_zpsfikciof0.jpg

We had not seen any trace of ice for a while but here a little north of Esterel there is a still icy area. So beautiful with the sun!

DSC00086_zpsoqbbnfkl.jpg

DSC00098_zpsdppg33hb.jpg

And going north towards St-Donat it quickly becomes a white painted scenery

DSC00106_zpsnsnik5pz.jpg

DSC00118_zpsbfpgvf2n.jpg

the beauties of nature ...

DSC00123_zpsbs2ltasm.jpg

We turned before St-Donat to get the local trail to the Mountain

DSC00131_zps7bt7cdbg.jpg

DSC00135_zpshch9ajsa.jpg

Here the view of the summit taken from the top of the belvedere ...

DSC00154_zps8k8qsgzh.jpg

It was our first time on a clear day. The view is simply amazing

DSC00156_zpsnntv8rod.jpg

DSC00157_zpsxyern300.jpg

The gray jays were there again always as hungry

DSC00160_zpsjnoh8xky.jpg

We spent quite a bit of time at the summit as we improvised a dinner/snacks there. Cold for the fingers but it allowed us to enjoy the place a little longer. No it's not one of her finger that the bird is eating but a piece of saucage!!!

DSC00171_zpstdsmvl8n.jpg

We then continued on the other side of the mountain(north)

DSC00188_zpsih7uppab.jpg

DSC00192_zpsicdrhpy0.jpg

the north side trail is also really nice to ride/see and the snow is really good

DSC00205_zpsmqufo6tv.jpg

DSC00217_zpsuwbla64y.jpg

We crossed the Archambault Lake to return to St-Donat and refuel

DSC00236_zpsotw8rlzt.jpg

And then returned to the east by the #33 trail,  first part was somewhat bumpy but we met the dozer there

DSC00258_zpsp9ag0nlo.jpg

We passed the Coin Lavigne, joined the #63 trail and ride back down to Ste-Émilie de l'Energie

DSC00271_zpsq1cxmsld.jpg

Where we crossed another dozer

DSC00288_zpspwou4sbu.jpg

We stopped to have a good meal break around 5:00 PM in St-Jean de Matha before continuing and come back home around 7:30 PM with a total of 235 miles on the dreammeter.

In the end, the bad weather of last week has not damaged the trails and on the contrary had increase the snow to the ground. In fact the snow is impressive especially on the north side, we are really spoiled this season with a really better than average snow cover.

The best of the season is now,  don't wait because it is too cold: it's winter !!! go out and enjoy, it's now that it is happening !!!

You can still take a look here to see trails details in the trail condition section or use the rest of the site as a planning helper for your next trip: https://www.snowmobilecountry.ca/en/conditions/

Alain

On 1/27/2019 at 6:35 PM, smclelan said:

Great report. Your photographer has done an amazing job!!

Thank you smclelan! she's back on my back...seat!! love to ride with my sweethheart 💕

On 1/27/2019 at 6:46 PM, snowmaster2112 said:

Beautiful and I just missed you In St Jean de Matha by a day. We left there (right near Gero) on Friday afternoon.

Thanks Chris ! the conditions are outstanding and with the cold pretty low traffics so let's enjoy!!!

22 hours ago, P Hardy said:

Great pictures, thanks for posting!

You are welcome P Hardy!

12 hours ago, lachdave said:

You do such a nice job.  Thank you for wonderful reports and photos.  My friends and I are heading to Quebec for a week long saddlebag trip.  St. Zenon to LaTuque to Lac St Jean.  Looking forward to the great riding Quebec has to offer.

Thanks for such great comment! I wish you alot of miles and smiles, fun and a safe ride.

2 hours ago, spanky123 said:

I love to see your reports and great pics!  

My pleasure spanky123!!!