Jackman Maine to Quebec City help/suggestions

tomuch$$

Headed from Jackman Maine to Quebec City (February) for Winter Carnival/riding/whatever. Never been across into Canada and there going to be 8 sleds. "Planning" to stay at Hotel Signature (yes-no-maybe?) and going to be a 3 day trip. Looking for help/tips/suggestions on: the trip in general, crossing from Jackman and obtaining trail permit, best-easiest-most direct trail/route, crossing St Lawrence, things to see-sled to, trail conditions, do's and don'ts etc.

Been on FCMQ but looking for the info that makes the trip better/easier/smoother that someone has from experience. Another forum recommended this site and to speak to Magnus but just joined and can't figure out how to PM. 

Can anyone provide the tips I'm looking for or any suggestions whatsoever? 

This is the first snowmobile club house after crossing the border if they're open you can get trail passes there

https://chaudiereappalaches.com/en/travel-quebec/la-beauce/saint-theophile/club-motoneigistes-liniere-marlow/snowmobile-club/

This where the shuttle will pick you up http://hotelnormandin.com/accueil-hotel-bernieres/

This is where the shuttle will drop you off Hotel Motel Colibri, Quebec 8516 Boulevard Hamel, Quebec, QC, G2G 0H8, Canada, 888-950-5062

I think it's about $35 CA per sled

The Signature Hotel is a good place to stay & depending on the how your crew rides you should be able to make it there in one day including the shuttle across the bridge.

Crossing the border from Jackman is very convenient on a sled you drive right up as if you were in a car. Have you passports handy & hopefully no one in your crew has anything on their record that would prevent them from entering Quebec.

This is a great area to ride. Have fun & be sure to give a ride report.

Ray

Just picking up on your never been into Canada comment. in case you don’t know, if you normally carry, leave them at home, most hand guns are prohibited.

Also, if you've had a DUI in the last 10 years and haven't had you're record expunged, they may not let you in.  This is what 182ray is referring to.

Don't even think for a second about bringing a handgun into QC, you'll be back in the USA in no time flat if you're lucky, if not you may be arrested...

Credit Card is the best but no doubt you will need cash on hand. I previously had AAA w/o incident deliver it directly to the house but now AAA directs me to this link -  https://buy.travelex.com/us/Error/SessionExpired   If the latter is as easy as AAA was this is a no brainer. If you do use it, please let us know how it went. 

We too are saddle bagging that week - heading north & north east - and will also stay two nights at the Signature - 1st & last - during our trip. Also looking to attend the  winter carnival as we have only heard great things.

Enjoy your trip. 

34 minutes ago, tomuch$$ said:

Anyone know where to exchange money or the first place to do so over the border from Jackman??

There's at least one bank in Jackman (or at least there was) you could exchange some money there. After crossing the border it's fairly rural country side. Recently I have been using an ATM to get CA money the service fee was $2.00 a transaction which I can live with.

If you use a credit card make sure they don't charge foreign transaction fees.

Jackman Powersports sells all four brands & has great service if need anything

Edited by 182ray

8 hours ago, nyskidooerinnewhampshire said:

Credit Card is the best but no doubt you will need cash on hand. I previously had AAA w/o incident deliver it directly to the house but now AAA directs me to this link -  https://buy.travelex.com/us/Error/SessionExpired   If the latter is as easy as AAA was this is a no brainer. If you do use it, please let us know how it went. 

We too are saddle bagging that week - heading north & north east - and will also stay two nights at the Signature - 1st & last - during our trip. Also looking to attend the  winter carnival as we have only heard great things.

Enjoy your trip. 

Wife and I will be riding out of the Delta Feb 11-14 and will be in Quebec City for the Winter Carnival Feb 15-17. We have been to Carnival twice over the last 15 yrs or so and it's a Blast !      Lots to see and do in and around Carnival and Old City. Dress warm, lots of walking around.          

Have Fun, Safe trip

5 hours ago, MrGutz said:

As for the Cash, this year I opened a TD Bank account in the US and then use the TD Bank ATMs in Quebec to pull it as Canadian. Great Exchange, No ATM Fees, No Foreign Transaction Fees.

GutZ

I did the same thing 

On 1/31/2019 at 5:43 PM, tomuch$$ said:

Thanks Pipemaster...have any or a few tips on the Carnival??

Check out the web site for the Carnival as it has full schedule of events etc. Maybe try to be there while it's dark as everything is lit up really cool . let us know how you made out.

Have Fun !  

9 hours ago, MrGutz said:

As for the Cash, this year I opened a TD Bank account in the US and then use the TD Bank ATMs in Quebec to pull it as Canadian. Great Exchange, No ATM Fees, No Foreign Transaction Fees.

GutZ

That’s the best way to do it, doesn’t need to be TD, just check your bank. Usually $500 Canadian is $380 these days on my bank statement. I try to use mainstream banks and not the ATM at Petro Canada or the Danseuse.

A lot of good a valuable opinions when crossing the border for snowmobile trips. Don’t over think it though. 

Use a credit card for 90% of your spending with a 0 foreign transaction fee.

Go to your local bank and get your Canadian money before leaving your state. I usually change out 500 US for a week bag trip.

Bring your passport book along with your passport card if you have one.

Make sure EVERYONE in your group has a CLEAN record, absolutely no Firearms, drugs ect.

Really don’t want to ride around looking for banks ect. 

At the Jackman crossing, they were really cool guys and actually let us go indoors to warm up while checking paperwork ect.

Fort Kent crossing was totally different, broke our balls coming out of New Brunswick even though we were going to the Northern Door across the street.A little excessive when the temperature was -20 at the time. Obviously this was crossing on snowmobile.

Anyone know if the FCMQ Interactive Map needs internet connection to work? I read somewhere that it doesn't but that doesn't make sense to me...

Also doing the ride I posted about is there cell service along the way, is it spotty or just none until you are close to bigger towns??

Thanks for all the info so far..................

1 hour ago, tomuch$$ said:

Anyone know if the FCMQ Interactive Map needs internet connection to work? I read somewhere that it doesn't but that doesn't make sense to me...

Also doing the ride I posted about is there cell service along the way, is it spotty or just none until you are close to bigger towns??

Thanks for all the info so far..................

The map on your phone works without cell service, uses your phone’s gps. Just make sure you activate the circle on the map ( location) and the blue circle follows you.

cell reception is touch and go depends on towers and make sure you active the roaming ect.

I have Verizon which I personally think works the best out of all of the carriers. I have unlimited data and calls Us/Canada.

If you have AT&T good luck, horrible.

Btw... compared my phone with the map and my buddies Garmin 680t and the Quebec map is spot on and faster for quick reference. He always just shook his head.

Edited by Cobra

COBRA...someone going bought a Garmen E Trex 20 gps...where did you get the Quebec or any maps to down load for that matter...never needed gps before we know where we ride. We have several better half's going and the easier the trip the better...thats why I was looking for all this info.....

40 minutes ago, tomuch$$ said:

COBRA...someone going bought a Garmen E Trex 20 gps...where did you get the Quebec or any maps to down load for that matter...never needed gps before we know where we ride. We have several better half's going and the easier the trip the better...thats why I was looking for all this info.....

I use 2 maps as a reference, 

The Official Quebec map for I phone.

Trak maps for my Garmin.

Im not that rider that is clued to a gps while riding, I like to ride the trails how they are posted while having a general idea where I’m at and where I’m ending up.

Only use GPS when I have to. With that said, Gps is a must while on a bag tour.

7 hours ago, Cobra said:

I use 2 maps as a reference, 

The Official Quebec map for I phone.

Trak maps for my Garmin.

Im not that rider that is clued to a gps while riding, I like to ride the trails how they are posted while having a general idea where I’m at and where I’m ending up.

Only use GPS when I have to. With that said, Gps is a must while on a bag tour.

How did we ever survive without gps?

If your total trip is three days, and one full day is at the Carnival and maybe roaming Quebec City,  I would leave the sleds on the south side of the river and take a taxi to the hotel. Also  lots of cash is handy. Unless my credit card is different, transfer fees for using it in Canada are only a few bucks with each use. Not worth getting a new credit card just for a three day trip. I would also recommend getting Canadian cash at your local bank before you leave. Then you won't be stressed trying to find an ATM. Yes, it may cost more locally but not a whole lot.

As for the sled ride, Quebec trails are really marked well. New snow with winds is the enemy, as visibility in fields can be close to zero. Get your map at the first club house. 

Be prepared for a sled breakdown. It happens.  Don't try for a long tow. Get to the nearest house or business, have them call a flatbed. Haul the sled back to Jackman,  have the rider grab one of the trucks and drive back up. Now you have transportation around Quebec City.

Get a good early start. Eight people will take a while to process at the border. Just after the customs window, after you get checked, is restrooms (same building. 

mike