Jackman Maine to Quebec City help/suggestions

tomuch$$

In my 34 years riding in Quebec I have found markings to be excellent UNTILL you really need one. It amazes me how trails are marked in places not really needed but when you pop into a town to a maze of streets with nothing to go by and tracks gone from recent snow. Overall though Quebec clubs do a amazing job.

On February 10, 2019 at 9:39 AM, viper2 said:

Well the trail markings used to be much better for one thing

I have ridden there since 1994, haven't seen much change, I think they are using some of the same signs from 94. Maps have always got us home, and with the bonus of the batteries never go dead. GPS takes some of the adventure out of the ride. For the off trail guys its a must, but trail riders can make due with maps,

50 minutes ago, 800steve said:

I have ridden there since 1994, haven't seen much change, I think they are using some of the same signs from 94. Maps have always got us home, and with the bonus of the batteries never go dead. GPS takes some of the adventure out of the ride. For the off trail guys its a must, but trail riders can make due with maps,

I have been riding Quebec since '89 and I have seen the markers really fall off. It used to be you almost didn't even need a map just a place you wanted to go and maybe a trail number to follow. When we were riding last week there were times we went 20 miles or more with no markings at all not even a trail number. When you get to a trail intersection now usually the most you will see is a trail number in either direction where there used to be signs pointing to towns with distances and all kinds of signs for Hotels,Restaurants,Gas stations, Dealers etc. If you have experience in Quebec and use the tools available it's not bad but I feel for anyone that has never ridden Quebec. The reasons are easy to see with the fact that it's hard to get volunteers and the ATV clubs are getting bigger and stronger and using their trails in Winter and not really buying snowmobiles but it definitely has changed   

I have been riding a  long long time in Quebec, first trail signs were mostly put up by hotels ( read bars      and places to party ). Hand painted on a piece of wood, when you saw one of those signs you knew you were going in the right direction!  Times have changed but my experience is signage depends on the club, some do it well and others you go miles hoping you are on the right trail.