ON MY WAY!!!

wulsock1

It's easy for people to rag on Tug Hill but don't forget there's a lot of hard working volunteers making the trail system happen. Like most places you'll find if you can ride during the week the trails can be as good as anywhere.

Hopefully you have a great time. As someone else mentioned there's a lot of pits tops to check out.

2 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

What he said and more. I live 2.5 hrs from the area and haven’t been there in years. Most likely won’t ever be again either.

riding up there 20 + years ago was bad enough. At least there is some snow in other NY areas and that will lift a small amount of pressure  off the hill. When your done riding up there tell us how many stand up, Mohawk, Blair Morgan wannabes you encountered. And how many out of control people obviously riding faster than what their capabilities truly are. Stay farther right than you ever have my friend. 

I rest my case. 

To each their own. 

5 hours ago, 182ray said:

It's easy for people to rag on Tug Hill but don't forget there's a lot of hard working volunteers making the trail system happen. Like most places you'll find if you can ride during the week the trails can be as good as anywhere.

Hopefully you have a great time. As someone else mentioned there's a lot of pits tops to check out.

I should probably just shut my pie hole but wanted to make clear a few things. Ray, your absolutely right about volunteers and the work that goes unappreciated up on that hill. I know first hand as I witnessed it when I used to ride up there years ago. That along with all the infighting amongst the various clubs. I use to stay for quite a few years at an unofficial place called the Freeman Hotel which was really a private residence. Billy Osmun from NJ owned it and many of his buddies from Jersey stayed as well. I met a lot of cool people there and even went out to Yellowstone twice with them in 97 & 99. I belonged to and supported Southern Tug Hill Sno Riders long after I stopped going there. Your right the “hill” does get a bad wrap a lot of the time. IMO...it’s a “no win” situation for the area. They get the most snow anywhere east of the Rocky Mountains, have a great (but limited) riding area and a PLETHORA of snowmobilers (of all kinds from family to Mohawk stand up guy) that come from MULTITUDES of states and it literally gets out of control especially on the weekends. Riding during the week goes without saying but with peoples varied schedules and vacations nowadays it’s nothing like mid week from 20 years ago when you literally saw no one. I think what was the nail in the coffin for  me was about 7-8 yrs ago I was up there with a couple buddies and if I’m not mistaken it was a Friday. We went down this trail that had just been recently groomed and had very little tracks  on it. 4 hrs later we came back down the same trail and there were 3 ft moguls on it. That and all the stories I hear from people I know that still go and have camps there. Since I found Quebec I have very little need or desire to ride there anymore even if it is close for me. It’s like do I go to the town circus or go to Disney World. And I’ll add one last thing that I have ALWAYS said and thought about “ the hill”. They should band all those clubs together under one entity and form something like the FCMQ did. And they SHOULD CHARGE to ride there. Just like Old Forge does, just like Vermont does and just like all the Canadian provinces do. And there should be STRICT penalties like in Quebec if your caught without a pass. IMO this would weed out a lot of the “ jack wagons” that seem to flock there.

29 minutes ago, snowmaster2112 said:

I should probably just shut my pie hole but wanted to make clear a few things. Ray, your absolutely right about volunteers and the work that goes unappreciated up on that hill. I know first hand as I witnessed it when I used to ride up there years ago. That along with all the infighting amongst the various clubs. I use to stay for quite a few years at an unofficial place called the Freeman Hotel which was really a private residence. Billy Osmun from NJ owned it and many of his buddies from Jersey stayed as well. I met a lot of cool people there and even went out to Yellowstone twice with them in 97 & 99. I belonged to and supported Southern Tug Hill Sno Riders long after I stopped going there. Your right the “hill” does get a bad wrap a lot of the time. IMO...it’s a “no win” situation for the area. They get the most snow anywhere east of the Rocky Mountains, have a great (but limited) riding area and a PLETHORA of snowmobilers (of all kinds from family to Mohawk stand up guy) that come from MULTITUDES of states and it literally gets out of control especially on the weekends. Riding during the week goes without saying but with peoples varied schedules and vacations nowadays it’s nothing like mid week from 20 years ago when you literally saw no one. I think what was the nail in the coffin for  me was about 7-8 yrs ago I was up there with a couple buddies and if I’m not mistaken it was a Friday. We went down this trail that had just been recently groomed and had very little tracks  on it. 4 hrs later we came back down the same trail and there were 3 ft moguls on it. That and all the stories I hear from people I know that still go and have camps there. Since I found Quebec I have very little need or desire to ride there anymore even if it is close for me. It’s like do I go to the town circus or go to Disney World. And I’ll add one last thing that I have ALWAYS said and thought about “ the hill”. They should band all those clubs together under one entity and form something like the FCMQ did. And they SHOULD CHARGE to ride there. Just like Old Forge does, just like Vermont does and just like all the Canadian provinces do. And there should be STRICT penalties like in Quebec if your caught without a pass. IMO this would weed out a lot of the “ jack wagons” that seem to flock there.

Very good explanation.  Completely agree.  I don't ride there anymore, but I don't ride Old Forge really either (once in a blue moon) as I have seen bad accidents happen right in front of me and waited for people to be airlifted out (not from my group).  Weekday riding is better, but I found much better places to ride local (Perkins to Indian lake to Newcomb, Clear lake north, etc)  Great trails with a lot less traffic.  I'm fortunate I can also ride from my garage as I live on a lake that also branches off onto trails like Mulleyville etc..  I put most of my miles on in Quebec, but will ride the nice and less traveled northern NY trails.  As many clubs are finding it harder to find active volunteers, the work is being done by fewer and fewer members and some just can't do it any longer.  Trails are then affected and thus either closing or are becoming even more dangerous as signage is poor or trails are narrower from lack of maintenance, etc..   It would improve greatly in NY if they went to a state run trail system like Vermont.  Paid trail maintenance and groomers with permit fees.  Would improve trails and take the burden off over worked volunteers each year.  Might also help eliminate some of the "problem riders" that we have allowed.  New York is one of the top states with snowmobile registrations and yet has no real control of the trail systems.  The funds (that the registrations pay for) do not get to the clubs in a timely manner and too much red tape to change, add or alter a trail.  It is just to hard on all the individual clubs.  Just my opinion.

Well he made it. lol. The area between Pulaski and Watertown center was the problem. Worst driving he has ever been in. The snow was coming straight down. 10 miles per hour and the snow would build up on the hood of his truck 4 inches. There was other cars and no one was an idiot. Now if he was going back home he would tell me snowing too hard. Coming north to ride his snowmobile, now thats different.

Been following this with some interest. I have been fortunate to be able to snowmobile in many different locals in the US and Canada.  Yes, on weekends The Hill is a zoo. Unless you get out very early the trails are wooped be noontime. With that said, the local all volunteer clubs do an excellent job. The one big problem is that the true  "Hill" is probably a 30 mile radius. When I say the true Hill, I mean where the snow really is. When there is no snow anywhere else every snowmobilier heads up, and quit frankly the trail system can't handle it. It would be like if there was only a certain amount of trails around The Delta and 5000 sleds rode those same trails everyday.

The other problem is just doesn't snow off the hill like it used to, so it's not always possible to expand you riding. IE-The Hill gets ALL the traffic. Nothing makes me happier than when I see other parts of our state get snow, that means hopefully it will ease the traffic in our area.

With this being said, I know someone will chime in with the old 'look how much money the sleds bring in' rebuttal. I'm just stating an opinion from someone that lives here and has spent 40 years volunteering to help make snowmobiling better.

I know that Quebec is the Eden of sledding, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents to this post.

Be safe and enjoy !

1 hour ago, sledder1 said:

Been following this with some interest. I have been fortunate to be able to snowmobile in many different locals in the US and Canada.  Yes, on weekends The Hill is a zoo. Unless you get out very early the trails are wooped be noontime. With that said, the local all volunteer clubs do an excellent job. The one big problem is that the true  "Hill" is probably a 30 mile radius. When I say the true Hill, I mean where the snow really is. When there is no snow anywhere else every snowmobilier heads up, and quit frankly the trail system can't handle it. It would be like if there was only a certain amount of trails around The Delta and 5000 sleds rode those same trails everyday.

The other problem is just doesn't snow off the hill like it used to, so it's not always possible to expand you riding. IE-The Hill gets ALL the traffic. Nothing makes me happier than when I see other parts of our state get snow, that means hopefully it will ease the traffic in our area.

With this being said, I know someone will chime in with the old 'look how much money the sleds bring in' rebuttal. I'm just stating an opinion from someone that lives here and has spent 40 years volunteering to help make snowmobiling better.

I know that Quebec is the Eden of sledding, but I just wanted to add my 2 cents to this post.

Be safe and enjoy !

Coming off Mt Valin to the Delta on a Saturday is pretty close. A lot of traffic for a small area, If there is no snow in New York, only the Hill, big traffic means bad trails. Hard to deal with numbers as big as that.

Was Pretty sweet today, it’s like going to Valin on the weekend you should know better. Had a fabulous day... 3 to 4 feet today going to explore the hardest hit areas tomorrow, plan on getting stuck many times.

0D4F739E-94AF-40D2-80A8-1B559D2ACD3C.jpeg

2F2CF521-FA17-4358-A758-48AB6F60BF38.jpeg

The wifi is not working well up here so will do my best. It's crazy up here! The drive up was the worst I have ever been in. Roads were being closed just as we got through.

image.thumb.jpeg.ff570956695293b86d8b16411691ad09.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2c171b3b7d7b3433e9697045fa269119.jpeg

It was snowing so hard we drove 10 miles past our hotel witout even knowing it. We could barely see two feet in front of us on hwy 12. 

We came upon Boondockers, went in for directions only to realize we blew past our hotel a ways back. Decided to grab a bite eat there. I realize now that is the place you are at Phil. I should have looked you up. 

We finally get to the hotel and decide we will go for alittle rip. The lady at the desk said its best not to go. Well we are not good listeners. Let's just say I hate Yamaha!! Stuck?? Dam right we got stuck! 2 km out of this friggen place and Bucky got his Apex buried. Took us close to an hour to get that beast out. The snow here is funny. At first it's very light, but after a few minutes it packs like concrete.

This has to be record snowfall storm here. Never seen snow fall at this rate before. So far loving the adventure. The hurdles I had to jump through to get here is a post all on its own. When back I will make it a topic for discussion.

Phil, keep an eye out for two Canadians, one driving a Nytro (Fozzy) the other on a Apex (Bucky).

Phil1 were those two picks taken on the same day?  I'd recommend you guys try the fried cheese curds at hook and ladder not far from flat Rock way better food.  And wicked bad apple in Greenfield has great wings.   Not for from the edge.  Have fun

7 hours ago, Fozzy said:

The wifi is not working well up here so will do my best. It's crazy up here! The drive up was the worst I have ever been in. Roads were being closed just as we got through.

It was snowing so hard we drove 10 miles past our hotel witout even knowing it. We could barely see two feet in front of us on hwy 12. 

We came upon Boondockers, went in for directions only to realize we blew past our hotel a ways back. Decided to grab a bite eat there. I realize now that is the place you are at Phil. I should have looked you up. 

We finally get to the hotel and decide we will go for alittle rip. The lady at the desk said its best not to go. Well we are not good listeners. Let's just say I hate Yamaha!! Stuck?? Dam right we got stuck! 2 km out of this friggen place and Bucky got his Apex buried. Took us close to an hour to get that beast out. The snow here is funny. At first it's very light, but after a few minutes it packs like concrete.

This has to be record snowfall storm here. Never seen snow fall at this rate before. So far loving the adventure. The hurdles I had to jump through to get here is a post all on its own. When back I will make it a topic for discussion.

Phil, keep an eye out for two Canadians, one driving a Nytro (Fozzy) the other on a Apex (Bucky).

Will Doo headed to the North side today where they got hit really hard. Record is like 77” in 24 hours this is just a regular lake effect event. Crazy right. 😁 

7 hours ago, Fozzy said:

Have fun up there and stay safe.

when you talk about “has to be a record snowfall up here”........not even close. I was up there in the 1999 (I believe) Saturday snow storm. There was already 3+ ft on the ground and it started to snow real hard around mid-day. We made it back to where we were staying and started drinking and playing cards. It was still snowing so hard you couldn’t see out the windows at midnight. When we got up the next morning you could not even tell where the sleds were out in the parking lot. No windshields sticking out no handlebars no nothing. My buddy said “someone stole the sleds” ....LOL    In fact you could just barely make out there was multiple full size pickups and trailers in the lot. Turns out the “hill” came within a couple inches that day for setting a world record snowfall in an 24 hr period. I think if my memory serves me correctly it was 92 or 96inches. Guys were stranded in camps up there for days and it was a really bad scene. Took us till 6pm that following day to get our shit and get out of there and the guys place we were staying at had loaders and big plow trucks. You could walk right up the banks of snow on the sides of the road and step right on TOP of the telephone poles I kid you not.

8 hours ago, Fozzy said:

Is it possible to run an Apex in 4t of powder? I would bring a 3ft snorkel:shok:

Don't forget the powder pics boys!

Edited by Jackstraw

8 hours ago, Fozzy said:

Be sure to give us a ride report Fozzy.

11 hours ago, Phil 1 said:

Was Pretty sweet today, it’s like going to Valin on the weekend you should know better. Had a fabulous day... 3 to 4 feet today going to explore the hardest hit areas tomorrow, plan on getting stuck many times.

0D4F739E-94AF-40D2-80A8-1B559D2ACD3C.jpeg

2F2CF521-FA17-4358-A758-48AB6F60BF38.jpeg

Nice pics ! Is the Polaris an 850 also? How do the 2 compare ?  Enjoy !

10 hours ago, Pipeman said:

Nice pics ! Is the Polaris an 850 also? How do the 2 compare ?  Enjoy !

Then two sleds are dead nuts even, nothing between them. Both great. Yes a 19; 850...

Edited by Phil 1

My experience at Tug Hill was a good one. I did not experience any of the negatives that you hear on line.

The Ridge View is a great place to stay only drawback is there is no breakfast other than continental. It was a bit of a late start for us on Friday as we had to be at the DMV for 8:30 to get our stickers. Good thing we did, first hour into our ride and we were stopped by the police making sure everyone was in compliance.

I think it was 9:30 by the time we rolled out. Plan was to get into the plateau and see what all the hype is about. Lots of snow and trails were soft. The groomers were out doing their best to pack down the snow. We headed to Redfield then Williamstown where stopped at Bucks for a break. From there we went towards Osceola and looped but the other side of the park. Trails were awesome and Trail C4 has to be one of the best. We made our way to the Hook& Ladder by recommendation of you guys. Great place and food is really good. From there we made our way back.

Really enjoyed it here, nice to be at place where I have never sledded before. I did not see any of the horror stories, everyone stayed right and trails were the best than can be after a snowfall like that.

One other note, the people so very nice and accommodating. Can't wait to go back.

IMG_4136.thumb.JPG.371dcd3ed51a5ba83567ce3ec6abf625.JPG

IMG_4137.thumb.JPG.b1f40c442cfba3c9c6353685ddc72f72.JPG

IMG_4139.thumb.JPG.8dd12be4f710d1137628e723b8edf574.JPG

IMG_4140.thumb.JPG.fac3266daff7136a0b032d8b6ea9a80f.JPG

IMG_4146.thumb.JPG.f589965c9f10de191a683970a7bf20f9.JPG

IMG_4149.thumb.JPG.9ddc3de87a513bf4004ad07ebcf8636b.JPG

If you want good riding in NY, go to Cranberry Lake. Not much for amenities anymore, but great riding in that area. Used to be able to find some good riding off the bar loop on the hill down around Osceola, 46 Corners out towards happy valley. Last time we went, many years ago, we started riding around 7 am, got about 100 miles in by lunch. Bounced back the 20 or 30 miles to the hotel and called it quits. Haven't been back since. the traffic, the drinkin and the bumps are too much for me anymore

16 minutes ago, SkippyDoo said:

If you want good riding in NY, go to Cranberry Lake. Not much for amenities anymore, but great riding in that area. Used to be able to find some good riding off the bar loop on the hill down around Osceola, 46 Corners out towards happy valley. Last time we went, many years ago, we started riding around 7 am, got about 100 miles in by lunch. Bounced back the 20 or 30 miles to the hotel and called it quits. Haven't been back since. the traffic, the drinkin and the bumps are too much for me anymore

Someone mentioned to us about Cranberry lake yesterday. Will put it down as an option.

Our next ride up there will be for the day only. So thinking of crossing the border at Ogdensburg (40min drive from home) and unloading somewhere near Potsdam and ride out there and go towards Malone. 

58 minutes ago, Fozzy said:

Someone mentioned to us about Cranberry lake yesterday. Will put it down as an option.

Our next ride up there will be for the day only. So thinking of crossing the border at Ogdensburg (40min drive from home) and unloading somewhere near Potsdam and ride out there and go towards Malone. 

If your up by Malone, try Owls Head  NY. Probably can find somewhere to unload. There is some decent riding up around there. I have seen Quebecers riding around that area as well. But its been a few years since I have been up that way

7 hours ago, Fozzy said:

My experience at Tug Hill was a good one. I did not experience any of the negatives that you hear on line.

The Ridge View is a great place to stay only drawback is there is no breakfast other than continental. It was a bit of a late start for us on Friday as we had to be at the DMV for 8:30 to get our stickers. Good thing we did, first hour into our ride and we were stopped by the police making sure everyone was in compliance.

I think it was 9:30 by the time we rolled out. Plan was to get into the plateau and see what all the hype is about. Lots of snow and trails were soft. The groomers were out doing their best to pack down the snow. We headed to Redfield then Williamstown where stopped at Bucks for a break. From there we went towards Osceola and looped but the other side of the park. Trails were awesome and Trail C4 has to be one of the best. We made our way to the Hook& Ladder by recommendation of you guys. Great place and food is really good. From there we made our way back.

Really enjoyed it here, nice to be at place where I have never sledded before. I did not see any of the horror stories, everyone stayed right and trails were the best than can be after a snowfall like that.

One other note, the people so very nice and accommodating. Can't wait to go back.

IMG_4136.thumb.JPG.371dcd3ed51a5ba83567ce3ec6abf625.JPG

IMG_4137.thumb.JPG.b1f40c442cfba3c9c6353685ddc72f72.JPG

IMG_4139.thumb.JPG.8dd12be4f710d1137628e723b8edf574.JPG

IMG_4140.thumb.JPG.fac3266daff7136a0b032d8b6ea9a80f.JPG

IMG_4146.thumb.JPG.f589965c9f10de191a683970a7bf20f9.JPG

IMG_4149.thumb.JPG.9ddc3de87a513bf4004ad07ebcf8636b.JPG

I REST MY CASE!!!

Thanks Fozzy for the ride report