Commencing Countdown....we ride. Trip 1

iceman

On 2/5/2019 at 9:59 AM, Carman said:

Great report and pics guys! No more freezing rain and ice pellets in the forecast, a little snow and then blue skies, enjoy the ride to Senneterre. Trail 83 Senneterre-Louvicourt-Val d’Or was just groomer last night.

Did you guys notice if 2-stroke oil was available at any of your stops?

What kind of oil and where you headed? They have Ski Doo oil at the gas station in Parent just happened to see it don’t really look for that stuff anymore 

On 2/5/2019 at 9:59 AM, Carman said:

Great report and pics guys! No more freezing rain and ice pellets in the forecast, a little snow and then blue skies, enjoy the ride to Senneterre. Trail 83 Senneterre-Louvicourt-Val d’Or was just groomer last night.

Did you guys notice if 2-stroke oil was available at any of your stops?

we have 2   2 strokes here,   only carry 2 quarts for the 2 sleds and just buy at gas stops.   all gas stations we stopped at on trip last year had skidoo oil.    at Relais 22 it was like $12 ca for 1 quart and I did not think that was to bad a a price.     locally at home its around that for a quart also.   

Edited by DareDog

27 minutes ago, viper2 said:

What kind of oil and where you headed? They have Ski Doo oil at the gas station in Parent just happened to see it don’t really look for that stuff anymore 

Ski-doo semi synthetic preferably, we are leaving Mont Laurier and heading up to 83 across to Relais 22 then back down to La Tuque, across to Saint Zenon area and then back to Mont Laurier area.

Day 4 

February 6

Great dinner at Forestel and a great sleep. This morning no hurry as we are not early risers. We got all day and this group can get it done. After all this is supposed to be fun so, what’s the hurry to run outside too early? Not us. We take our time, nice breakfast and on way out of restaurant I meet the owner of Hotel Forestel, Robert. We had a great conversation. Super nice guy. Finally dressed and sleds loaded, 9:45 departure, perfect. We are headed for Amos. We track down into town and out the local trail from in back of Beric Sport. Cold this AM. Even now. Ice is Icy. To the 309 which we rode yesterday back to Val d’or. Great conditions here on 309 and totally different in daytime. We run it all the way to TQ93, then stop at warming hut there to thaw out a bit. Fire was going and heat felt good. 

We continue on the 93 west. Good trail here always nice never disappoints. We cruise into Amos and go to get gas near the Bombardier dealer off the river. Here I finally get to meet Viper2 as his group is there getting gas too. We talk a little while. They are headed for Royaun Noranda, we are northbound for Matagami. Nice to finally meet Viper2 a fellow Yamaha brother. We take time to warm up some at the gas station. Out of there around noon. To Matagami we go. Through Amos all good. Up to 396 and beautiful just awesome fresh groomed no tracks going north. Just on southbound side. Hard fast trail. No gas in St. Dominique. Big sign warning next gas in Matagami. We will be spilling some cans for sure. Oh we we gots to be going. I am not into conserving gas, aint gonna happen. Big fast beautiful trail, we gonna ride them like we stole them. So we do. Beautiful conditions but wicked cold at speed for hours straight. I am on a mission to get to warming hut. 141 km from gas in Amos to Warming hut. Beautiful conditions. Crossed paths with two groups headed south. First group not well behaved. Trail two groomers wide and these guys are on my side in the corner. Seriously people? You need to ride each corner like someone is coming every turn. I really just don’t get it. Stupid. Is it really that hard to keep right? If you cannot stick it on the right every corner, you are riding above your abilities, simple as that. Slow down or sell the sled it’s just a matter of time till your time is up. You are gonna hurt someone. Ok rant over. 

Into warming hut at 2:15. Fire was almost out. Kwiknick gets it torquing good. We thaw out nicely and take a nice long break. Improvised lunch of snack size candy bars,(Kwiknick has got a giant stash of chocolate) and some pepperoni snacks thanks to NH Moose. Mmm good. We have a conversation about gas. I am already riding on my low fuel light. So is Kwiknick. No choice we dump some now. We got 60km to go. I got a one gallon roto-pak but NHmoose gives me his Ski Doo jerry can as his 900 ace should cruise into Matagami no problem. Merci, Mon Ami. Kwiknick pours his jerry too. Off we go at 3pm. Another 43 km and Snohorse calls on radio his backcountry is getting close to be out. I stop he pours half a can. He keeps half, as Kwiknick is already back on his low fuel light. Good choice as Kwiknick is out of gas with 10km to go, Snohorse dumps the half can in Kwiknick and tells him to back it down, baby it to gas station, He been chasing me all day and hammering on that freeride. We continue on into Matagami at 4pm. Gas up and head to Hotel Matagami. Check in and unload. Glad to be here. 

Great trails but cold. 

Not a giant day today but it’s not about the miles. 

187 miles.

Until next time.

Ice out.

Edited by iceman

Kwik Nick installing a Canadian Tire stick on mirror to be legal. Im sure he didnt want to, but beats a fine.

Kit Kat really needs to bring the great flavors to the states, I love the 70% dark, but these new Tiramisu are even better, and the espresso are great too!  Will be hunting down some bulk packs on my drive south.

BCC47152-3D01-4F65-9B5A-B44676685D99.jpeg

9C1202BC-8BC2-4AB9-A114-BD1208EF1BB8.jpeg

8A0A4D98-40BD-4A6D-AD5D-B71E2650C92E.jpeg

98E85050-010A-48F4-8377-0E2ED68AE2E2.jpeg

EA5187BA-6840-479C-BCFC-DE037365D25B.jpeg

Edited by NH-Moose

Funny how i noticed the same hand signal poster in the cabin with Jim Jamison's name plastered all over it and wondered who might this fellow traveler be.....funny enough here's what i found...

https://snoriderswest.com/article/general/travelling_up_north

Travelling up north

Jim Jamison and his wife, Melissa, are incredibly friendly people who love to go on epic snowmobiling trips

two people sledding through the woods
Every year, Jim and Melissa Jamison travel from their home in Pennsylvania to Canada to snowmobile for weeks on end.Photo courtesy of Jim and Melissa Jamison

Jim and Melissa Jamison live in Perkiomenville, Pennsylvania, and they have been snowmobiling together for a very long time. In 1963, their favourite place to sled was the Poconos in northeastern Pennsylvania—a mountainous region that is popular for its recreational offerings.

The couple purchased a home there and continued to visit the area each winter for great sledding, but they soon moved on to the Adirondack Mountains in the northeastern part of New York. They bought a home there as well and enjoyed great snow conditions for more than 20 years. Adventurous spirits like to move on, however, and the Jamisons have moved on to Canada. Thirty-one years later, the Jamisons haven’t strayed. They come up to Canada each winter to snowmobile.

The couple usually stay in the eastern provinces of Canada, but they have been as far west as Manitoba and have ridden through Ontario numerous times. Eighteen years ago, Jim was asked to look after a few snowmobilers who wanted to ride to Canada, as he had more experience with the region. He agreed and everyone loved it. Soon after, Jim discovered that there was a market for American snowmobilers travelling up into Canada, and Jamison Canadian Snow Excursions was born. In the earlier years, Jim took groups of people on tours to Labrador—a trip that usually took three weeks if they didn’t get stuck in a blizzard. Typically, they put about 5,000 kilometres on each sled. These excursions catered to those who wanted to see the spectacular backcountry of Canada’s eastern provinces, including Quebec, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labra-dor—Jim’s personal all-time favourite place to sled.

“It is spectacular,” he said. “Of all the snowmobile tours and places that I’ve been, (Labrador) is absolutely (the most) astounding. It is nature’s beauty at its best and it has awesome country.”

The couple that sleds together

More recently, Jim has taken a step back from his tour groups and goes on only three work trips per year. A tour with his company includes everything from lodging and meals to maps and destinations—all you need is a sled. A typical trip would take sledders through Quebec and New Brunswick, and would last for one week.
One of Jim’s reasons for going on fewer work trips is that he wants to concentrate on travelling more with his wife.

“Every year we do trips together,” said Jim. “We take one week after Christmas and one week after Thanksgiving. Then, when I am done with my tours, my wife comes up for three weeks with me at the end of the season—next year is Quebec . . . and the Abitibi Canyon in Ontario.”

1 hour ago, Carman said:

Ski-doo semi synthetic preferably, we are leaving Mont Laurier and heading up to 83 across to Relais 22 then back down to La Tuque, across to Saint Zenon area and then back to Mont Laurier area.

Semi??   do you have a large stock pile of it.   they have not sold semi synthetic oil in years.   they say to use Full synthetic.   

9 minutes ago, scorpionbowl said:

I don’t think I would have shield problems or go down the wrong trail for 30 miles, otherwise we’re twins, lol. Love all the storage on that long track though. I miss the 70s decor in matagami, do they have flat screen TVs yet?

Yeah for sure not a true substitute. Definately not losing you down wrong trail and i know you carry a spare shield.

yes flat screen tv in room not big like at Forestel last night but works.

miss you buddy

31 minutes ago, Carman said:

Great report guys! What is the plan for tomorrow?

Million dollar question, no decisions yet.

18 minutes ago, viper2 said:

Good to see you in Amos today Don. We ended up going to LaSarre to the Villa Mon Repos tonight nice place

Yes super to meet you too, wish we had more time to talk. Enjoy your ride. Villa mon Repos is great stop.

25 minutes ago, iceman said:

Yeah for sure not a true substitute. Definately not losing you down wrong trail and i know you carry a spare shield.

yes flat screen tv in room not big like at Forestel last night but works.

miss you buddy

I’ve done plenty of stupid stuff, just not those two, lol. I’m an old man now, I like those 9:30a starts and 200 mile days, and using less oil frees up space for more vodka. How many times have we done that 400 mile chibougamu run in a day?

ill bet mont st Pierre still has tube TVs...

12 minutes ago, scorpionbowl said:

I’ve done plenty of stupid stuff, just not those two, lol. I’m an old man now, I like those 9:30a starts and 200 mile days, and using less oil frees up space for more vodka. How many times have we done that 400 mile chibougamu run in a day?

ill bet mont st Pierre still has tube TVs...

Yeah, I am just fine as well with the Late departures. I hear you. Lot’s of times 400. 

No doubt about mont st pierre. 4 channels of french and tube tv.

10 hours ago, NH-Moose said:

Kwik Nick installing a Canadian Tire stick on mirror to be legal. Im sure he didnt want to, but beats a fine.

Kit Kat really needs to bring the great flavors to the states, I love the 70% dark, but these new Tiramisu are even better, and the espresso are great too!  Will be hunting down some bulk packs on my drive south.

BCC47152-3D01-4F65-9B5A-B44676685D99.jpeg

9C1202BC-8BC2-4AB9-A114-BD1208EF1BB8.jpeg

8A0A4D98-40BD-4A6D-AD5D-B71E2650C92E.jpeg

98E85050-010A-48F4-8377-0E2ED68AE2E2.jpeg

EA5187BA-6840-479C-BCFC-DE037365D25B.jpeg

What track is Kwik Nick running on the FR? Any cooling issues?

19 hours ago, Roger said:

Funny how i noticed the same hand signal poster in the cabin with Jim Jamison's name plastered all over it and wondered who might this fellow traveler be.....funny enough here's what i found...

https://snoriderswest.com/article/general/travelling_up_north

Travelling up north

Jim Jamison and his wife, Melissa, are incredibly friendly people who love to go on epic snowmobiling trips

two people sledding through the woods
Every year, Jim and Melissa Jamison travel from their home in Pennsylvania to Canada to snowmobile for weeks on end.Photo courtesy of Jim and Melissa Jamison

Jim and Melissa Jamison live in Perkiomenville, Pennsylvania, and they have been snowmobiling together for a very long time. In 1963, their favourite place to sled was the Poconos in northeastern Pennsylvania—a mountainous region that is popular for its recreational offerings.

The couple purchased a home there and continued to visit the area each winter for great sledding, but they soon moved on to the Adirondack Mountains in the northeastern part of New York. They bought a home there as well and enjoyed great snow conditions for more than 20 years. Adventurous spirits like to move on, however, and the Jamisons have moved on to Canada. Thirty-one years later, the Jamisons haven’t strayed. They come up to Canada each winter to snowmobile.

The couple usually stay in the eastern provinces of Canada, but they have been as far west as Manitoba and have ridden through Ontario numerous times. Eighteen years ago, Jim was asked to look after a few snowmobilers who wanted to ride to Canada, as he had more experience with the region. He agreed and everyone loved it. Soon after, Jim discovered that there was a market for American snowmobilers travelling up into Canada, and Jamison Canadian Snow Excursions was born. In the earlier years, Jim took groups of people on tours to Labrador—a trip that usually took three weeks if they didn’t get stuck in a blizzard. Typically, they put about 5,000 kilometres on each sled. These excursions catered to those who wanted to see the spectacular backcountry of Canada’s eastern provinces, including Quebec, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labra-dor—Jim’s personal all-time favourite place to sled.

“It is spectacular,” he said. “Of all the snowmobile tours and places that I’ve been, (Labrador) is absolutely (the most) astounding. It is nature’s beauty at its best and it has awesome country.”

The couple that sleds together

More recently, Jim has taken a step back from his tour groups and goes on only three work trips per year. A tour with his company includes everything from lodging and meals to maps and destinations—all you need is a sled. A typical trip would take sledders through Quebec and New Brunswick, and would last for one week.
One of Jim’s reasons for going on fewer work trips is that he wants to concentrate on travelling more with his wife.

“Every year we do trips together,” said Jim. “We take one week after Christmas and one week after Thanksgiving. Then, when I am done with my tours, my wife comes up for three weeks with me at the end of the season—next year is Quebec . . . and the Abitibi Canyon in Ontario.”

Great to see this. Jim taught me how to ride up there. I did several rides with him. Haven’t talked to him in a long time. I know of no one that has covered the ground that this guy did. Thanks !!

Edited by SkippyDoo