Tipping on Service

SRSchang

I'm interested how others deal with tipping at lodges when on a trip.  We stayed at at several lodges (100 Lacs, Fer a Cheval, Barrage Gouin, Rabaska) that include breakfast and dinner with the price of the room.  Before I retired, I traveled lots for work and typically tipped 20% on food & drinks, and some smaller amount (5-10%) for the housekeeper for the room, maybe a little more if I stayed the same place several nights.  I have never tipped someone for pumping gas. 

So my question - At Fer a Cheval for instance, we got a bill at the end of our stay, and I had the option to add a tip on the credit card machine.  We had some drinks with dinner, and I pumped my own gas in my and my wife's sleds.  Do folks generally tip 15-20% on the entire bill?  Room, drinks, meal service, gas?  Or do you have a different way of tipping?  Looking for thoughts, our trip was great but really hated checking out & the tipping decision.

By the way, one of the bartenders / waitresses at a lodge shared with us that she makes $18 / hour and time and a half after 60 hours / week.  Here in New York, the basic pay for waitstaff is on the way up to provide them with a stable basic pay every week, and reduce or eliminate tipping.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Scott

Hi neighbor, A few places the gratuity is included. I always ask if its not in writing. We then tip 15-20% if not included as you do. In the case where you pumped gas that was included in the bill I would have tipped for the service only. A few points to remember. Here in the US it is considered normal to not tip the owner of a establishment. It is my understanding that riders from Quebec and Ontario do not always tip and if they do its at a lower rate. That is what I have heard from waitresses anyways.

When we have a package meal plan, we place an estimate on what the meal costs.  We leave a tip at the table for the wait staff after the meal in the 20% range.  If we have some drinks at the bar, we follow the usual practice of tipping the bartender when we leave the bar.  As far as the room, most times we leave loonies/twonies in the room.  We don't add a tip when we pay the bill.

Yes, the wages are much higher in Quebec for similar jobs in the US. I always have a problem tipping on a bill for a stay that is inclusive because I really never know how or if it is distributed to the workers fairly. I much rather tip people in person when the service is delivered, good personal service by a waitress is how and why we tip in the US and we can tip them based on their effort, those who work hard make the most, promotes good service too. And yes, I generally tip the guy pumping my gas out in the cold at 20 below, I doubt he is getting rich pumping gas at Repo, not a great job, and 2 dollars and a smile and thank you goes a long way, just my 2 cents worth.