BRP Forced closure Jims Performance Iroquois, Ont

gowser

I’m sure there are many here that have dealt with Jims Performance Plus a family run BRP dealer in Iroquois Ont. Sadly the powers that be at BRP have decided they would like a fancy new dealership in Cornwall and as a result have terminated their dealer agreement with Jims. Those of you that know Jims know there is nothing fancy there... just good people that care about their customers. I could write a book about what they have done for me on weekends including Sundays, after hours during the week etc. I'm sure many could. I get corporate mandates and all that stuff. Just sad to see good people get caught up in situations like this. Anyway here’s a post from one of their customers. I had sent a letter to BRP earlier having been made aware of the situation. I know Jim, Patti, Leo, Lisa and the rest of the staff would appreciate your support :)

CLOSING...

I try not to get involved in politics, but this time it is personal. BRP as a corporate company has decided to attempt to close JIM’S PERFORMANCE in Iroquois and the Alexandria BRP location to open up a new store in Cornwall.

What I would like from you if it is at all possible is a letter stating why you think they should stay in business.  I am grasping at straws to show BRP that closing JIM’S would be devastating to the dealership and customers.  If you could either or both send a letter to BRP and to me as I will compile all the letters together and send to them to make noise.

Please feel free to reach out to Patti and Jim as well, they need our support.

Sincerely,

Barry Thompson

Partner & Financial Security Advisor

Pankow Financial Solutions Ltd.

37 William Street East

Smiths Falls, ON.  K7A 1C3

Email: barry@pankow.ca

That is sad, the way of business these days. Same thing happens to many of the mom and Pop garage / gas stations that we have relied on for gas when sledding. The big name gas companies would rather see big gas stations attached to bigger depanneur in larger towns and busy junctions than keep small business alive. Doesn’t make it right but they are all driven by make a bigger buck.

hope these guys can survive as an independent repair shop.

Dealerships seem to be an endangered species. 10yrs. ago, I had 6 dealers - each representing one or more of the 4 brands - within 25mi. of my house. Today there is only a Polaris dealer. 

I do know one of the dealers that went out was due to similar tactics described in the OP. The BRP rep showed up late in the season and discussed the number of sleds that the dealer had sold that year. He followed up by telling the owner that they would need to take 30% more sleds when he placed his Spring order. The owner decided it wasn’t worth the financial risk. This was a brand new facility with multiple brands represented including 2 snowmobile brands.  Beautiful building with lots of showroom and clothing display space. 

Its just too bad. I’m sure there are many of us that travel a distance to buy a new sled due to lack of dealers and then face the dilemma of buying parts/accessories on line vs. traveling the distance back to that dealer. 

Surprisingly I actually got a call from BRP after they read the letter I sent. I asked the person if he knew Mr Primrose or if he had visited the dealership... no

i asked why he called me...we value you as a customer. 

I asked why they want to terminate Jims as I know for a fact that it isn’t a sales volume or CSI issue as Jims ranks very high in both. Didn’t answer but that would leave 2 things..,facility or corporate agenda.

Guessing faculty has a lot to do with it. 

Im certain the BRP powers cringe when they go to Jims. The shop wouldn’t meet their standards nor would the showroom but really ... who cares? Certainly not me.

Simply put ... people buy from people. You can find a nicer showrooms and shops anywhere. Better people or service...NOT

Shared those thought with the gentleman that called me. Think he understood. That said, not sure it will have any effect on things.

All we can do is hope👍

Gowser thanks for posting this.  I met Jim many years ago on my way to Quebec.  I always made it point to stop when I was going to Quebec and coming home.  His knowledge and  passion for snowmobiling was off the charts.  I could call him anytime and he could always answer my questions.  I also have sent a response to BRP.  Please keep us informed on any updates. 

1 hour ago, MichiganRev said:

Gowser thanks for posting this.  I met Jim many years ago on my way to Quebec.  I always made it point to stop when I was going to Quebec and coming home.  His knowledge and  passion for snowmobiling was off the charts.  I could call him anytime and he could always answer my questions.  I also have sent a response to BRP.  Please keep us informed on any updates. 

Indeed

Can’t think of a better brand ambassador. He’s gone above and beyond for many including myself. BRP needs these kind of dealers.... the ones that care!