Sunday March 3rd

mcstar

Left  Drummondville, took 532 , 525, 35, 538, 25 in to Thetford Mines for lunch. All were great conditions. Had lunch at Tim Hortons and decided to head to Lac Echemin for the night. We continued on 25 to 55 now the trails are a bit rough, it is Sunday after all to be expected, but ok, some of the trails are shared with atvs, that doesn’t help. Pulled into Manoir lac ecthemin at 4:30. 185 miles, enough for the wife. Today we may head to Pohenegamook. 

3 hours ago, Florida Snowman said:

Enjoy your trip Mario!

Thanks Tom!

This morning we left Lac Echemin up 55, WOW, ausome trail 10/10 all the way to St. Pampile, we gas up and have lunch and continue on to next intersection 55/557 and I decide to take 557 north and again it just ausome, a quarter of the way up I,m thinking what a great choice I made, no one on this trail, I am coming up to a turn an here comes a 2 upper, as they get up to me I see a winch on his bumper, I start waiving like a lunatic but the don’t see me, I figured it had to be gtrider, who else has a winch right?  I sent him a message to see if it was them. Pulled into Phenegamook at 2:45, short day with 160 miles, again, enough for the wife!

We are now in Mikerider domain, Bas St Laurent, not sure where tomorrow!

10 minutes ago, gerg56 said:

What is the best lodging in Montmagny ? Will the conditions hold up after the warm up coming ? Planning a trip March 17th.

We left Montmagny Friday morning and conditions were still good.  The best lodging is L'oiseliere, but I think that by March 17th you should stay at Econolodge , right on the trail , no need to ride the sidewalk off trail ,with this warm up it will not survive unless they  get more snow right before you start your trip. The Econolodge is being renovated and rooms are nice.  March 17th is generally a hit or miss for Montmagny area. A trip that late in March  needs to be planned at the last moment due to conditions.

“. Pulled into Manoir lac ecthemin at 4:30. 185 miles, enough for the wife

Considering a loop up from Jackman and staying here the 22nd.  

Anyone been in this area this week ? How is it holding up ?

GPSTrailmasters also shows a place right at the head of the lake as well......

Meritotel Resort Lac-Etchemin
Trail Accessible Food-Lodging

Cant find anything on it. Familiar ? Suggestions ? Want a spot with food on site or nearby.

The area should hold up as there was good snow cover, I did see the sign for the Meriotel,  but it was a little further up so we took the  Manoir trail,  place has food,  bar, rooms are a little small,  food was good.  Has a sled corral,  and there is a gas station after you turn off the  55 to hotel 

Thanks Mc. Im not familiar with the loop from Armstrong up or this place so good to hear it is decent.

I understand Beauceville has a nice club to stop at....any others you recommend ?

Also I saw someone mention the Suds mountains just west. Hows the trail thru there usually ? I did notice just south of them there is a large trail closure on FCMQ map.

Any advice is welcome !

EastMark,    The handiest guide after a warm up or rain event is the club reports listed on Sledmagazine.com under 'trail conditions'. These are updated every 3 or 4 days. Chaudiere region just had all their clubs update their conditions today, the 18th of March. All are reporting very good conditions. I expect Bas St. Laurent will update tomorrow. This is a really handy guide, as when you click on the region, you get a color coded condition from every club in that area. Check it out.

mike

Love to hear this Mike !

If we head from Beauceville to St Phamphile/Tourville...looks like 35 and 55 are parallel options.  Either one preferable beyond current grooming condition ?

Also, anyone ride the 547/549 loop thru du Massif du Sud park ? Whats that like ?

#35 is mostly RR bed. I always like 55. Somewhere below Montmagny is a groomed trail that goes up a good size mountain and has a viewing platform. Great ride if you can find it. There are some great north/south trails below Montmagny that are quite scenic, just do not remember the (green) trail numbers.

Thanks Mike. Always great trail info.

Booked Jackman for Thur nite....sleep there and then sledding up to Beauceville Golf for a Fri and Sat nites stay so we can loop around.

I will let you know how it goes ! The couple with us havent ridden outside Maine so it should be fun. Hoping to show them some great trails and some different club houses. They say Beauceville club house is nice.