2020 demo ride

quebec bob

I just got back from Old Forge New York, where we got 40 miles of seat time on the new 2020 sleds. All we rode were models from Ski-Doo. First thing, pictures do not do justice to the Free-Ride Blue, one of the best color schemes on snow...just my opinion that this sled is really beautiful to look at. Next, the new 850 extreme...WITH OUT A DOUBT THE VERY FINEST ALL AROUND SLED ..MAYBE EVER BUILT...PERIOD!! I am not a brand loyalist..just calling it after 2 10 miles rides, and I have been riding since 1966. This is not a cumbersome work sled, you keep looking back at stops and cannot believe 154 inches 20 wide is behind you. Hooks up like nothing short of a studded ice racer, the 850 moves it better than a 600r, although not quite as good as an 850 renegade, but not far behind. It really smooths out the bumps, and handles very flat, less intuitive than a back country, but you can really haul down the trail very aggressively without getting tired or feeling like you are tugging a work sled around. This thing wheelies at will and you actually have to back out of the throttle and learn how far you want to go, get used to it a little bit, fun factor is incredible. This sled will more than put a smile on a 20 year old, a 45 year old and a 65 year old tourer, kind of like a BWW station wagon!! Next was the 850 backcountry XRS, with a 146 track.I just sold a 2018 backcountry with 3100 miles on it, so I know the sled. The XRS model handles way better than the x or standard model, and it felt stronger than the 2018 engine and the 2 inch 154 rumbled a bit down the trail, more of a deep snow sled, ski-doo reps said hard concrete trails are probably not the place for this model, they said cooling and torn lugs are going to be the end result.Polaris looked very nice, quality, fit and finish have come a long way, they have upped their game. Arctic Cat had almost exclusively lime green versions of the new riot, the lines were getting very long and we made a 400 mile trek to be first in line at 8am, so we did not stay around to ride everything we wanted to. The new oxygen helmet was there, this seems to be a very well thought out product, I ordered one. If you get a chance to ride the expedition extreme, just do it, if anything you will at the very least come away with a big smile, Happy trails, Bob.

I got to ride the 900 turbo extreme as well. To be honest with you, I was a little disappointed with the turbo in the extreme. It comes in a 2 up package that is very noticeably heavier than the 850 etec. I swapped rides in the middle of a 10 mile loop with a 70 year old and he took the 850 and I rode the turbo extreme back in. When we got back he leaned over and put his thumb down to the turbo. The 850 is way more fun to ride and I think the 900 turbo extreme has different suspension calibration, is heavier, the engine is twitchy at throttle input, and pops and backfires on de-cell. Also, on that sled Eco and the middle mode make it under powered and very heavy feeling. Also the 850 has RER and the turbo does not. The fuel tank is 12 gallons so with a can on back, 16 gallons or 250 ish miles, that is a nice feeling.For touring and maybe popping out on a big lake to explore and make your own trail, this is an incredible ride.I never did try low gear but I am sure it would pull out a stuck sled with ease. The wide body Gen-4 also offers much better wind protection.You will have no problem clicking off trail miles at 60 to 70 mph on this sled, I think that p-drive clutching really works great on this sled, it launches out of the whole with great authority, not like a heavy utility sled, I think is pulls better than a 600r MXZ.