Joliette/St-Zénon/Rivière Mattawin/Grand-Mère/Joliette photo ride-report 17march2019

towing

Here is my traditional photo report from Sunday, March 17, 2019 ride

carte_zpsb7i7nj3n.jpg

The last thaw was mainly Thursday and Friday of last week but the weather stayed mild on Saturday so that the snowmobiles clubs have only been able to groom in the Saturday to Sunday night , so we stayed at home Saturday to not wear the trail base and catch up on Sunday with this big nice loop of 300miles that we did in reverse side from last time we did earlier this season.

My snowmobile club (Carcamp Berthierville) had groomed overnight . It gave beautiful hard and very fast trails , I lowered the scratchers for safety. Here some pics near home in St-Thomas de Joliette

DSC00002_zpsufozyste.jpg

DSC00004_zpslzzpcdvu.jpg

The thaw did not really reduce the snow cover which is very generous this year, just packed down a bit in the south of the area. To my knowledge a single river ice bridge in Berthierville on # 3trail (not on this ride path) have been damaged and it  can be easily cross by the car bridge just few meter aside.

Here in St-Félix de Valois

DSC00013_zps53fn2rw3.jpg

DSC00015_zpsn4h3odwj.jpg

And this pic on the old railway of St-Cléophas de Brandon. The club of St-Gabriel Brandon had not regroomed it since the thaw, probably just before because it was flat as a pool table...but not much loose snow. A blast to ride with the scratchers down!

DSC00018_zpsnyiss1oq.jpg

North from St-Gabriel had been done recently and it was top notch

DSC00022_zps4ivbnmnn.jpg

At the hut on the top of St-Damien's hill, agents I knew were doing some trail pass checking and we stopped talking a little

DSC00026_zpsculj7dke.jpg

Once in the mountains the snow texture changed and from there it was still full winter conditions. The trail section around the Réal Massé area maintained by the Saint-Charles snowmobile club had not been re-groomed and was pretty rough. Need to see a groomer there...

Here near #23/#350 trails junction

DSC00029_zpshaadpexy.jpg

The Cabanon(Royaume snowmobile club) had not been able to groom the #23 south of the Cabanon, one of their dozer had broken down in the Mastigouche reserve area and could not complete its run. Despite some holes it still ride well,

DSC00030_zpsrsamauam.jpg

DSC00036_zpsvwci6t6n.jpg

We stopped to refuel and eat early at Cabanon. Lot of snow there...

DSC00037_zpsio3smkia.jpg

DSC00041_zpsufyhfdeq.jpg

We then left in north direction toward Mauricie

DSC00042_zpsibppizgs.jpg

trail #345 was nice and fast

DSC00043_zpsroxydavv.jpg

DSC00047_zpsttcpabxa.jpg

Only one ice accumulation which we already had a good part of the season

DSC00050_zps2oqojhsz.jpg

We chose to go through the Mattawin River Bridge instead of the dam

DSC00053_zps37gbkmze.jpg

DSC00055_zpsbgqzl1gv.jpg

The bridge

DSC00061_zpsizeb1ka1.jpg

DSC00069_zpsiuhjyx45.jpg

DSC00071_zpsdx5wyyn2.jpg

We joined the #360 that we took to the east. Again very beautiful and fast

DSC00078_zps7hxr3fck.jpg

DSC00081_zpsatyanqmu.jpg

One of the only break we took at #440 halt area

DSC00094_zpsg5gfanqd.jpg

and continue

DSC00104_zpsbfbbawf9.jpg

The dirty car road in front ruin a bit the usual view on the river at this spot.

DSC00112_zpskhntjxnr.jpg

DSC00113_zpscezpz8i7.jpg

One short muddy spot just before the bridge of the St-Maurice River

DSC00115_zpsuof77gha.jpg

DSC00118_zpsaexj3s7x.jpg

We did a quick gaz stop near Marineau, and continue

DSC00120_zpsiudmommh.jpg

Instead of going by the St-Maurice river as we usually do, we continued the # 360 to get the # 23 to St-Tite. I was expecting the river to be slushy and I preferred to limit our mileage on it

DSC00128_zpsg2zdpoji.jpg

When joining the #23 trail there is a bit of road side to do. It was rather icy but doable.

DSC00135_zpscpxaxy5p.jpg

The ice bridge on la rivière des envies is still in shape. My Kristine just photographed the sign but the dozer pushed a good amount of snow over it and the water is still far from the trail

DSC00136_zpswbqiwgtc.jpg

We continued on the # 23

DSC00140_zpsxa4snb9m.jpg

Up to the St-Maurice River near Grand-Mère.

DSC00145_zps88fi23uv.jpg

obviously very hard with some frozen slush spots

DSC00146_zpsg4dmeais.jpg

DSC00148_zpsgqkpguvo.jpg

We then joined the #3 trail in Iceman's playground for the return to the west. Here close to Mont Carmel

DSC00152_zpserwvfm2k.jpg

We crossed again the St-Maurice river at La Gabelle. Very nice and no slush

DSC00157_zpsz02h9koi.jpg

We took our 2nd afternoon break when refueling at St-Étienne des Grès and left at around 5:30 pm. The #3 and the #63 on the return were all particularly nice, very hard and fast: My yammy made some nice music on this back ride! We finally been home around 7:00 pm with 301miles on the venture dreameter. All the trails even those so south in the area where still in great shape.

So still a nice snow cover in my area with good trails conditions overall. On the other hand, season's time is running out and we have already passed mid-March: we have to admit that we do not have much time left in front of us, the season is already well advanced so hurry to enjoy it before it ends !!!

Snowmobilecountry web site is always a good place to have the status/details on the Lanaudière/Mauricie trails : https://www.snowmobilecountry.ca/en/conditions/

The end of season rides, often the best conditions of the year ...

:bye bye:

Alain

16 hours ago, Blueblood said:

Headed up Saturday to enjoy some late season ridding.  Love your pics and trail info.

You will probably have another new snow layer over what they had if the forecast is right... Heard that it will be this weekend the last one of full operation for the Repos. After this weekend they will continue to sell fuel but no food or lodging... plan accordingly.

Have a nice safe season ending!!

14 hours ago, Cnc said:

Very Nice!

Thank you! 👍

11 hours ago, PLAYHARD said:

As usual, you have a WONDERFUL way with words!

haha! I'm not so skilled with Shakespeare's language but yeah, this last one was nicely describing the situation! Those yammies sound so nice on high rpm, yours even better than mine with one more hole! 

5 hours ago, William Gaf Gaffney said:

Very Nice.Thx Gaf

You are welcome Gaf!

2 hours ago, grumpysanta said:

Super job as usual , love the pics.. try to get up this saturday..

Thanks grumpysanta! from what I just seen, St-Zénon had a bit of snow last night and pretty mild today...Not the storm that was forecasted.  I wonder if it will be cold enough for them to groom tonight?

Edited by towing

51 minutes ago, towing said:

haha! I'm not so skilled with Shakespeare's language but yeah, this last one was nicely describing the situation! Those yammies sound so nice on high rpm, yours even better than mine with one more hole! 

You are welcome Gaf!

Thanks grumpysanta! from what I just seen, St-Zénon had a bit of snow last night and pretty mild today...Not the storm that was forecasted.  I wonder if it will be cold enough for them to groom tonight?

MTL weather showed lots of snow in the Eastern Townships, nothing up here in Tremblant, light rain all day couple of Cm fell on top of the mountains. Snowing wet snow rain now at 6:50pm. We are looking at -6 or -7 for tonight and at least one club promising to groom if it does get cold. Grumpy you may have to travel farther east to get into the heavy snow fall warning.

3 hours ago, PLAYHARD said:

Yep, after so many years on an Apex, I legitimately cannot hear what the Mrs. is telling me to do!:fool:

Aha, my wife has been accusing me of selective hearing, I now have a legitimate medical condition to quote. Just need a fancy name!

23 hours ago, Pipeman said:

As always its a pleasure viewing your reports,  can’t wait till next year when you start doing it again! Thank you and happy trails 

You are welcome Pipeman! surely a couple more images from me to come this season, I stayed home today saturday but will hit the trail tomorroy morning 🤩

12 hours ago, PLAYHARD said:

Yep, after so many years on an Apex, I legitimately cannot hear what the Mrs. is telling me to do!:fool:

I doubt I can use this one, my wife is sitting closer to the exhaust tips... 

9 hours ago, mikerider said:

Another great report and wonderful pictures Alain. I may have to grab my fly rod and go up to your rivers and catch some trout.

mike

Thanks Mike! if you do you will just have too much choice, rivers and lake everywhere!!!

8 hours ago, Cnc said:

Aha, my wife has been accusing me of selective hearing, I now have a legitimate medical condition to quote. Just need a fancy name!

She tell me the same, I usually replied her that my body adapts to my environement by not hearing well the high pitch sound... her voice ...😄

On 3/23/2019 at 11:42 AM, Cnc said:

AAPD!  Apex Auditory Processing Disorder

Honest honey, it's not that I don't care!