6 Amigos on the move, the final run!

Jackstraw

2 hours ago, Blueblood said:

That's some miles on your ride playhard when do you get a new one?

I got the '18 Apex XTX last year. Literally and just because it was the last year from Japan. She's sweet, but was in for service. 

And I just kept the '13 since there was nothing wrong with her! Glad I did for opportunities like this past week!

The Amigos spent enough time stopped waiting for me. Dang, they might have frozen to death if I decided to take a Vector!

22 hours ago, PLAYHARD said:

Nah, you were right on though, it was that muddy single track, I kept rolling looking for any other cut thru tracks but didn't see any. Looks like it's about 10 miles "the long way". 

We took that muddy single road for less than 1 klm and were back on the trail, saved us an hour of riding down through Portneuf, skiis were punished for sure! Wish we had a pic cuz I know someone here that would’ve been proud of me. Lol!

42 minutes ago, Trailblazer said:

out comes the spare scratcher and we jimmy rig it to the A arm with some hose clamps twist ties and tie wraps, not pretty but did the job for a while. 

A1D29215-4CEF-4105-9459-29D96B85BB87.jpeg

Great improv!

That's true MacGyver action right there!

15 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

When you say bio-stuff are referring to ethanol? Be careful because fuel with ethanol in it will go bad long before you use your sled again.  Also, there is no fuel tank condensation when the tank is plastic, only with metal tanks. IMHO use the Stabil. For all it costs it gives peace of mind but only if you let the sled run long enough to get it through the whole fuel system.

OK, I am not trying to be a wise guy or anything like that, but I want everyone to know about stable and condensation. This is one little test everyone who owns a piece of equipment with a seasonal gas engine really needs to do so they can see for themselves how important it is to treat your gas, whether it is a plastic tank or metal. Take a plastic fuel can and put a few gallons of gas in it when it is say 10f outside and leave it in your trailer outside over night.In the morning , before you pour it in your sled, get a funnel and a screen funnel for paint and place that paper paint funnel inside the regular funnel and place it in another empty gas can. Now start to pour the gas into the other can, DO THIS SLOW BECAUSE THE ICE THAT FORMS FROM THE CONDENSATION WILL PLUG THE SCREEN!! Gas does not freeze but when it is poured and goes through a screen it will separate the water from the fuel and freeze, it looks like ice from a snow cone. Yes fuel in plastic cans or tanks gets a lot of condensation in it. When we were racing and at the lake all day we wanted high octane and this was a little trick we would do to insure we had the best fuel, first time I saw this I was shocked, you will be too, some how this goes right through our sleds, but sitting all year with ethanol phase separation, not good. Canadian fuel is non ethanol, but good practice is to treat it, best practice is to install a few shut of and run it dry with stable. We started riding in 1966, so I have cleaned my fair share carbs and fuel systems, any thing you can do to prevent this is cheaper and easier to do. Nothing worse than getting there and having you or your buddies sled down on day one because of bad fuel. Proper Planning Prevents!! Bob.

17 hours ago, Trailblazer said:

Not long long after black top departure I stop for a lunch break while and while chowing down I’m scrolling through FB, I see a post from low and behold Towing non the less saying he’s stopped in Mattawin for lunch and his sled parked beside those sexy triplets from the photo he posted. Time on the post puts him there about 10 minutes after we left. If we had of known.

OH!!!! wasn't knowing I was so near to meet you gang!!! 😲  We arrived there around 12:50, very sorry to have miss you. We had at first cancelled our saturdays plans on friday evening because of the wheather forecast and kick back in on saturday morning, a bit late. We hit the trail from La Glaciere around 9:45... We should not look at wheather forecast!!! 😄

It was very nice to virtually following you gang on this long trip through your pictures and write up. 

happy season ending!

Edited by towing

4 hours ago, quebec bob said:

OK, I am not trying to be a wise guy or anything like that, but I want everyone to know about stable and condensation. This is one little test everyone who owns a piece of equipment with a seasonal gas engine really needs to do so they can see for themselves how important it is to treat your gas, whether it is a plastic tank or metal. Take a plastic fuel can and put a few gallons of gas in it when it is say 10f outside and leave it in your trailer outside over night.In the morning , before you pour it in your sled, get a funnel and a screen funnel for paint and place that paper paint funnel inside the regular funnel and place it in another empty gas can. Now start to pour the gas into the other can, DO THIS SLOW BECAUSE THE ICE THAT FORMS FROM THE CONDENSATION WILL PLUG THE SCREEN!! Gas does not freeze but when it is poured and goes through a screen it will separate the water from the fuel and freeze, it looks like ice from a snow cone. Yes fuel in plastic cans or tanks gets a lot of condensation in it. When we were racing and at the lake all day we wanted high octane and this was a little trick we would do to insure we had the best fuel, first time I saw this I was shocked, you will be too, some how this goes right through our sleds, but sitting all year with ethanol phase separation, not good. Canadian fuel is non ethanol, but good practice is to treat it, best practice is to install a few shut of and run it dry with stable. We started riding in 1966, so I have cleaned my fair share carbs and fuel systems, any thing you can do to prevent this is cheaper and easier to do. Nothing worse than getting there and having you or your buddies sled down on day one because of bad fuel. Proper Planning Prevents!! Bob.

I know exactly what you saying.

My partners sled at the time 15 600etec with 300 miles on it. Was at the La Cabanon in Dec-27-17.Wouldn’t start, fouled plugs, BAD GAS ECT. Spent all morning in Dennis’s groomer garage, sucking gas out, running to the doo dealer getting plugs and replacing.

Warned him all off season to make sure he  treated fuel accordingly.

That day really sucked!!!!!!

4 hours ago, quebec bob said:

Actually almost all Canadian regular, mid grade and high test fuel has up to 10% ethanol. The only one that I know of that has no ethanol is 91 octane Shell. 

1 minute ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Actually almost all Canadian regular, mid grade and high test fuel has up to 10% ethanol. The only one that I know of that has no ethanol is 91 octane Shell. 

Dennis, the owner of Le Cabanon worked at the refinery in Montreal for 30 years, he has high test non ethanol and a lot of the stops on the trail do too. They make an ethanol tester, fuel tester by daansen, about 20 dollars. It is a small graduated test tube, pour fuel to the line marked fuel, the add water to the line marked water, and it will separate the alcohol from the fuel and you can read it by percentage. Go to 5 different stations and test a sample of the gas, you will be very surprised how much they differ, some will say 3 % others may say 14%. Almost all the on trail lodges that sell have non ethanol fuel. www.fueltestkit.com.

Had an awesome time with a great crew, a lotta laughs and great memory's for sure. Finished up with 1580 miles on this run. March riding is the best! After staying at camp in Lake George get back home today to my wife telling me there's a snake in the basement! Sure as hell. No expert but checked with the locals here and agreed it was a Copperhead. One of three poisonous snakes in the area. Luckily by a window I was able to hook it and fling it out the basement window, not a snake fan!

3077D70A-BC0F-4F9B-BB4E-71786624487F.png

Edited by Jackstraw

9 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

Had an awesome time with a great crew, a lotta laughs and great memory's for sure. Finished up with 1580 miles on this run. March riding is the best! After staying at camp in Lake George get back home today to my wife telling me there's a snake in the basement! Sure as hell. No expert but checked with the locals here and agreed it was a Copperhead. One of three poisonous snakes in the area. Luckily by a window I was able to hook it and fling it out the basement window, not a snake fan!

Hey Jim, pretty sure that's a milk snake (some call it a spotted adder) We have some of those here in VT. Scarier looking than a garter, but not poisonous! 

Well, whatever type of slithering fellow this might be, I think you need to keep an open mind. With a little creativity, and perhaps a bit of nurturing, this guy could be an asset to your future snowmobiling trips. There are many uses that I'm sure you haven't even thought about. For instance, he could be used as a deterrent to the theft issues we sometimes face north of the border. Just lay him across the seat when you check into the hotel each night, that should keep the thieves at a distance. Also.....in the event of a missed turn in deep snow when you need a tug, he could double as a pull rope. And the obvious off season use of him would be to store him in the engine compartment to ward off any pesky mice trying to make your sled their home. Much the same as Mikerider adopted a monkey this winter, 'Copper' could be your new pet. It may take a while to adapt, but before long he'll be riding in your jacket pocket with you on your adventures to the North. Just don't forget to check him in at customs....

sorry.....having snowmobile withdrawals.......

16 minutes ago, neksledr said:

Well, whatever type of slithering fellow this might be, I think you need to keep an open mind. With a little creativity, and perhaps a bit of nurturing, this guy could be an asset to your future snowmobiling trips. There are many uses that I'm sure you haven't even thought about. For instance, he could be used as a deterrent to the theft issues we sometimes face north of the border. Just lay him across the seat when you check into the hotel each night, that should keep the thieves at a distance. Also.....in the event of a missed turn in deep snow when you need a tug, he could double as a pull rope. And the obvious off season use of him would be to store him in the engine compartment to ward off any pesky mice trying to make your sled their home. Much the same as Mikerider adopted a monkey this winter, 'Copper' could be your new pet. It may take a while to adapt, but before long he'll be riding in your jacket pocket with you on your adventures to the North. Just don't forget to check him in at customs....

Too funny!  And don't forget to tie him to your front bumper of the sled each morning. See if he likes triple digits and catching air.

1 hour ago, neksledr said:

You forgot one of the best uses....   If you show up to a hotel you want to stay in but it is fully booked, just drop Jake the snake in the lobby somewhere and I bet suddenly there will be some immediate room availability.  Just teach Jake to slither back to you when things settle down.  :)

13 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

Keep him . They are good rat control for you cellar.  My kid in NC has one in his cellar and he's rat free. 

Since they are cold blooded, guessing if you brought him north in the winter, you would have to warm him up first to make him move. I can just see some lady yelling call security there is some guy playing with his snake in the lobby.😁