Electric sled in Finland

zeusand

I have a first generation Volt and just recently bought an electric fat tire bike that I now have 130 miles on. Absolutely love them both. I was hooked on the electric bike after the first 10 seconds riding it. With 5 electric assist modes and 7 mechanical gears you can customize it to whatever level you want to achieve desired fitness level. The thing that I feel is the biggest benefit is (coming from someone who hasn’t biked in 30 yrs)  is the ability to go on long rides and not getting “disenchanted” with the whole thing. I live in an area with quite a few hills and a normal bike would require a physical output that I’m not willing to put out at this age in life. I wouldn’t last 10 miles around here on a normal bike. This new one I regularly do an 18 mile “loop” around our Lake that takes me about 1.5 hrs. I’m starting to decrease the electric input up as I build up my endurance. Who knows...maybe this summer I will be leaving the heavy battery pack off and just go normal sometimes. The other great thing is when I “pimped” my bike out with accessories is was only 5 dollars here, 20 dollars there. Unlike snowmobiling where it’s a 100 here and 200 there...LOL

Sadly, I probably won’t live long enough to see electric snowmobiles become “reality” as in “ go 100 miles plus” on a charge but IT WILL happen someday. Just as none of us thought years ago we would see 4 strokes in sleds, half on the snow are nowadays. 

Again, I strongly recommend an electric bike (made in all kinds of bikes) to anyone even remotely interested. I got this one on super special at 799.00 shipped to the house (normally 1,000) and less than two months later still think it’s the best 800 bucks I ever spent. I’m going to start riding it to work every day when the weather really breaks. Mine is a 500watt 36V setup and that is plenty for most people. 

Ecotric is the brand. They are on the west coast and they were great through the whole process and even sent me some free accessories and stuff after the fact. 

92BAEE40-0B5A-477A-89FA-C07256E93334.jpeg

37 minutes ago, snowmaster2112 said:

With 5 electric assist modes and 7 mechanical gears you can customize it to whatever level you want to achieve desired fitness level. The thing that I feel is the biggest benefit is (coming from someone who hasn’t biked in 30 yrs)  is the ability to go on long rides and not getting “disenchanted” with the whole thing. I live in an area with quite a few hills and a normal bike would require a physical output that I’m not willing to put out at this age in life. I wouldn’t last 10 miles around here on a normal bike. This new one I regularly do an 18 mile “loop” around our Lake that takes me about 1.5 hrs. I’m starting to decrease the electric input up as I build up my endurance. Who knows...maybe this summer I will be leaving the heavy battery pack off and just go normal sometimes. The other great thing is when I “pimped” my bike out with accessories is was only 5 dollars here, 20 dollars there. Unlike snowmobiling where it’s a 100 here and 200 there...LOL

That's freakin BRILLIANT!  

Tapering the "e" makes total sense!

Thanks for the info & the inspiration!

Electric battery and motor technology is advancing at an extremely rapid rate in the past 3-5 years and will continue!!

Check out my E-bike.  Sur-ron 60 Volt.  These pics are from after assembling it when I got it.  It now has a larger sprocket and x-controller for amazing torque and wicked steep climbs.  Also added front and rear fenders for mud protection, even bigger controller is on order for even more power! This bike weighs just over 100lbs and is wicked quiet, not silent but amazing power.  With the 60t rear it tops out at around 40mph but its set up for tight woods trails.  The stock 48t sprocket tops around 52mph with the x controller.  Only one place to get them in the USA right now, videos all over youtube of this bike as its a very popular machine right now worldwide...   It doesn't compare to the Alta redshift full size dirt bike if your trying to motocross it but has no trouble keeping up with it in the trails, wicked light and maneuverable.  With the 60tooth rear sprocket its sometimes a challenge to keep the front wheel down.  https://lunacycle.com/sur-ron-x-bike/

I also have a pedal assist E-bike by Trek.  Its amazing fun as Snowmaster mentioned and makes your ride 3 times as far, 3 times as fast and 10 times the fun!  I bought my 63year old dad one last year and he's had 3 heart attacks and he rides it all the time!  It can literally be set up so you hardly push the pedals and the bike is jumping out from under you.  Lakes hill climbing effortless and this is the part most people don't like.  Ive got almost 500 miles on this bike and the technology in the market is rapidly advancing to where I may want to upgrade in a few years just like my sleds... There is no sound, basically silent, very very slight wine when pedaling fast but not noticeable, very stealthy.  People give me weird looks on the trail when I blow by them going up hill at 20mph...   https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/electric-bikes/c/B507/ 

So of course I want to get the kids an e-bike to play on too so I found bike called the Sta-Cyc as my kids were 3 and 6 at the time.  Its a 20v battery in a stability cycle with a twist throttle.  Its great for getting little ones use to the twist action of the gas...  My son started on the 12inch and has now taken over his sisters 16inch because he likes that its a bit faster.  I would recommend these to any parent because they are very light so if they crash there is nothing big landing on them and no hot exhaust to burn them either!  Also very quiet.  https://stacyc.com

As my daughter grows out of the 16" stacyc I am now looking at Oset electric trials bikes.  I want her to learn balance and technique rather than MX jumping and crashing getting all banged up.  The trials bikes are something we can have fun with, still jump, still race around and still learn on but again not worry about the weight and gas motors.  These have also become a huge hit and I fear once I get one for my daughter my son want on too!  https://osetbikes.com/us/

IMG_9176.JPG

IMG_9179.JPG

IMG_5087.JPG

gRL7aEBOS7eSesUJo6BG9w.jpg

Edited by Teet F8SP

With regard to the electric snowmobile, I see a possible cottage industry for the Keebler elves, charging stations in every tree!😁

Seriously, I think saddle bagging long distances in the extreme cold up here is a long way off, but those e bikes sure are cool. Around here a good portion of the snowmobile trails on the railway beds and some railway beds blocked to snowmobiles are open in summer for bicycles and walking. I can see making good use out of an ebike on them as for me on my mountain bike, how far i’m willing to explore on them is tied to how far I think I can peddle back!

thanks to the links may have to look into that.

7 hours ago, Teet F8SP said:

I bought my 63year old dad one last year and he's had 3 heart attacks and he rides it all the time!...So of course I want to get the kids an e-bike to play on too so...

And Son of Last Year!...

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.6e5b656b6a934be2d97752be4e4e09b8.jpg

Teet those are some sweet machines you got there. Mine is a Cracker Jack toy compared to that. Just watched a bunch of videos on them. Just incredible !! One better be in damn good shape to smack one of those around. Would help if you were under 175 lbs and that leaves me out forever...LOL 

glad to hear your dad and kids are enjoying them too. Just did the 18 mile “lake road loop” tonight after work. Gonna try and pour big miles on it this year. I bought a leftover Enduro and it’s 16lbs heavier than my current sled which tells me I gotta lose at least that much to make up the difference. Have a great summer and be safe on that thing.

Thanks Snomaster, any e-bike is awesome in my opinion, the pedal assist is just amazing. Mark my word, everyone who you let try it will at first pedal say “Holy Crap” then come back with a smile saying “This is awesome I want one, where did u get it”. And that’s why I let my buds try them out a lot so they will all get them and go riding together. 

It’s still good cardio you just get around places a lot easier and definitely a lot faster if you choose. 

• 1 month later...

All true over here!...

On 4/3/2019 at 7:37 AM, Teet F8SP said:

Thanks Snomaster, any e-bike is awesome in my opinion, the pedal assist is just amazing. Mark my word, everyone who you let try it will at first pedal say “Holy Crap” then come back with a smile saying “This is awesome I want one, where did u get it”. And that’s why I let my buds try them out a lot so they will all get them and go riding together. 

It’s still good cardio you just get around places a lot easier and definitely a lot faster if you choose. 

Thanks again for the info & the inspiration!

Got a couple of "Seagulls" from https://www.ecotric.com/collections/e-bike for the Mrs. birthday!

Now after a few rides we're pretty sure these buggers will have us living longer! 

She's blasting down the path before I can say Thomas Edison!...

IMG_20190531_114312.thumb.jpg.e3c46e60090aeaadc1aa813aa414829c.jpg

IMG_20190531_114305.thumb.jpg.c39f9d275c64ec4403132f70e6084ea8.jpg

IMG_20190531_125330.thumb.jpg.c5e0893d66c9c7c0683e528b4b63f67c.jpg

IMG_20190530_114248.thumb.jpg.94c8e3edf8c24459fcdc598d363aa791.jpg