Taureau reservoir loop/ Mastigouche reserve photo ride report 13april2019

towing

With the new snow fallen during this last week, we went for another last ride with our friend Luc yesterday, April 13, 2019 in Lanaudière

pbucket.gifDSC00321_zpsexoomscj.jpg

On this exceptionally snowy season the trails of northern Lanaudière were still surprisingly good,  here on #23 trail south of Cabanon

pbucket.gifDSC00334_zpsj5xhxdq3.jpg

The temperature was very mild since a few days, no freezing during the night so we got very soft trail. Here passing at Cabanon in the morning

DSC00345_zpshkanqw4v.jpg

We left in dam direction. The whole reservoir loop had been groomed during the week!

DSC00350_zps9qsjxcev.jpg

DSC00357_zpspnfyylkt.jpg

The conditions were nice for an April 13th but very good from the dam trail junction(on the # 345) and for all the reservoir loop up to St-Michel des Saints

DSC00361_zpsltupegiz.jpg

DSC00367_zpsozg8szzx.jpg

It's not visible on the pictures but it was so windy there that I had hard time to stay still the time of the pic, I almost went with the wind!

DSC00378_zpswf76vifd.jpg

The #360 around the reservoir  was candy to ride, just superb. We did very good tempo on this stretch...

DSC00389_zpst0vcgohz.jpg

DSC00395_zpsvchduj5v.jpg

DSC00410_zpsdo8legvf.jpg

The reservoir is always impressive to see once emptied ...

DSC00416_zpsst2hdmi2.jpg

I read from a buddy that the emptied reservoir shortcut was still ok on Friday, so with the good visibility we had, we tested our luck despite the wet conditions

DSC00425_zpsnwz6oryt.jpg

It was not for the fearful ones,  alot of surface water on the ice. It looks worse than it realy was because even if there was water, we ride on ice already leaning on the bottom of the reservoir on more than 90% of the way but the rivers(yes there are rivers in there) where worrisome. I would suggest every body to go around by the trail, I personally would not do it again this season!

DSC00428_zpsq8c40wa7.jpg

Luc learned the risks associated by following us too closely ... he arrived on the shore a little wet!

DSC00447_zps7ozyyxxm.jpg

We arrived for lunch at the Central in St-Michel around 12:15

DSC00458_zpsxlmym4qj.jpg

After a good lunch and a great talk with Luc we headed south on #63. The strong sunshine combined with good winds at 10C made the trails tender and juicy !

DSC00464_zpsujwtu43z.jpg

Without surprises, we found some dirt spots near St-Michel village on the larges south-facing hills

DSC00466_zpsazpcmz3v.jpg

But a little further it was still very snowy

DSC00469_zpsqvcgy4ad.jpg

DSC00471_zpstf8jr2um.jpg

Back in the Cabanon courtyard, we could see how much it had melted compared to the morning pic

DSC00477_zpsyuypnwdt.jpg

We  switched into the Mastigouche Reserve on trail #345 to loop back. As I expected beautiful conditions, very snowy ,almost no traffic and not a single bump

DSC00479_zpscy4ulkwr.jpg

DSC00481_zps0mwhbzxa.jpg

Among the best conditions of the day. We also saw some fresh moose tracks on the trail. A nice spring ride for us at its best!

DSC00485%202_zpsk6sdxsy3.jpg

DSC00494_zpsn1abdbxs.jpg

We stopped a few minutes at Koubec (which was closed)

DSC00496_zpsl68aexag.jpg

And we came back on #350 trail which was also in very good condition

DSC00511_zpsczjj6p4i.jpg

In sum a beautiful spring ride of 170miles for the three of us. With the reservoir loop groomed during the week, it was definitely a record in the area to ride recently groomed trails on a April 13th. A big thank you to the clubs involved!

It could close our season with 4830 miles on the venture dreameter...unless Kristine twist my arm for another last one somewhere !!!

88522.gif 

Alain

Amazing the difference in conditions from one side of a hill to another, or from one area to a different area. I do miss the snow clinging to the trees so often missing in the spring riding.  For me, the snow in the trees is just beautiful.

mike

23 hours ago, 800steve said:

Alain head for Mt Valin, we just got back from a few days there and they have the most snow depth I have ever seen this late in the season.

I wish I would have more loose time ahead. I have next Friday/Saturday/Sunday but have a family activity on Saturday evening that cut a bit the options...

As for snow depth we got spoiled pretty much in all the province, this year will stay in our memory for that.

22 hours ago, PLAYHARD said:

Hero status!

Thanks for sharing!

Excellent pics & notes bring us right there!

Haha! you are welcome Playhard! I also have some great video file from this ride, more fun to come!

11 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

Just beautiful my friend. Would have loved to been there Saturday. It was 70F back home in New York.

we all had a great season and already looking forward to the next one.

HAVE A GREAT SUMMER and send me some dirt bike pics when you go. 

Thanks Snowmaster2112, I'm still on sledding beat. We just begin to see some grass spot here and there at home since yesterday, but I think it will change fast in the 2 next week. We had one of the best/longer season we could have but I can't believe we are already at the end... I'm not ready to put the summer tires on the venture yet!

8 hours ago, mikerider said:

Amazing the difference in conditions from one side of a hill to another, or from one area to a different area. I do miss the snow clinging to the trees so often missing in the spring riding.  For me, the snow in the trees is just beautiful.

mike

I agree that a white sprayed scenery in crispy cold temps is hard to beat!  But a blue jay day is always winner for me, all year long! 

6 hours ago, grumpysanta said:

SUPER PHOTO JOB , like usual . we get to see what we are missing, wish more people would post pics like  you guys do .Thanks again for keeping the spirit alive..

Thanks grumpysanta! You have the best bunch of pics poster on a forum here, you won't find better on an other forum!

Hi Alain,

Looks like you had a great ride, on a beautiful spring day. I was pleasantly amazed to see a ride report this far into April. Great pictures by Kris. How many miles do you have on the Venture now? Have a great summer !!!

Hank

On 4/15/2019 at 8:40 PM, actionjack said:

Thanks for the report Alain.  Looking forward to next season's first.

You are welcome actionjack!  with the forecast ahead for the easter weekend, I really think it'was the last one this season. I just watch the video I took on this ride and I have some insanely good footage in there!!! I will certainely have something to post before the next one ride!

On 4/16/2019 at 9:20 AM, Snappy Hank said:

Hi Alain,

Looks like you had a great ride, on a beautiful spring day. I was pleasantly amazed to see a ride report this far into April. Great pictures by Kris. How many miles do you have on the Venture now? Have a great summer !!!

Hank

It was a perfect spring ride on a blue jay day, can't ask for better!  It's two season in a row that I do some late april riding, was on the 21 last year! I tried to change Kristine's camera this season with deceiving results, we finally came back to the small sony 4,1MP from 2005 that do 3 to 6000 pics/seasons since we bought it and haven't completely failed yet. I will need to do better shopping for her for the next season... The Venture end up at 20577 miles which let me just a correct gap for riding it an other season. I usually keep my sleds 25000 miles/40000kms which we were doing in 5 seasons on past sleds but will be in 6 on this one... we are getting old!