Paying for all the snow this winter

Cnc

A good portion of Quebec is now paying for all the great snow conditions we had this winter. Certainly worst flooding I have seen in my area in 47 years. We are surrounded by water and have to take a boat to dry land, but the only place to go is to neighbours higher up than us, we are pretty much all cut off by flooded roads, touch and go for 4x4 pickups to get through. State of emergency declared here in Montcalm and the army is here. There are those far worse off than we are and certainly the Rigaud and parts of the West Island of Montreal are having a tough go of it. Predictions are it could be worse than the 2017 flood. 

So sorry  to hear this,  like everyone on this site we love  Quebec but we only  see it in February with the beautiful white carpet.... we often forget you guy's suffer the thaw... .

Hope the floods drop soon..

My house is flood proofed to a certain water height so it is routine most years but this year is extremely high, pushing the limits. I’m guessing most of you fellas are seeing some of this mess in the larger urban areas on the news, but you might not see this. Industrial Snowblowers being used to blower water back over a sand bag dyke.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/videos/gallery/snow-blowers-become-water-blowers-on-a-quebec-property/sharevideo/6030004316001

So sorry to hear of the flooding in your area. 

I live in lake Ontario end of the river and the water is rising very fast on this end as well.  Like a foot or more in the last 2 days. They say the locks are closed down river and will be closed for the next couple weeks.  Sure hope it doesn't get as bad as a couple years ago.  Good luck to you all. 

17 minutes ago, Shore1066 said:

So sorry to hear of the flooding in your area. 

I live in lake Ontario end of the river and the water is rising very fast on this end as well.  Like a foot or more in the last 2 days. They say the locks are closed down river and will be closed for the next couple weeks.  Sure hope it doesn't get as bad as a couple years ago.  Good luck to you all. 

Thank you shore,

Yes I have just heard that Cornwall,  Massena, and Beauhornois are holding back water on the St Lawrence till the water coming down the Ottawa river subsides a bit. They say Lake Ontario is at a lower level than it was a few years ago and can handle this. Hope they are right. 

My house yesterday. Water is down about 6 inches. I’m up on a hill so it has to drop about 5 feet to  be back to normal. The plywood with sealant was put on just before it reached the basement windows. Small leaks running across the floor to the sump pump pit but the basement remains water free. FD2AA10C-F9C2-4E47-B8B8-3D8D4B21BFBB.thumb.jpeg.2465b63adf5768a31c5973c9990806d4.jpeg

1 hour ago, scorpionbowl said:

Wow, close call there. Glad all is well. Did the pump have any problems keeping up?

No. Since the basement was designed to take a flood 3-4 ft above the basement floor level, it is well sealed and 3 pumps in the sump pit all set at different levels in case the first can’t keep up. Normally just one pump runs but at the level in the pic ( about 7 ft above the floor ) the first runs steady and the next in line cycles on and off. The 3rd is the biggest 12 volt we could find, it can keep up at lower levels but not this. It is there just to buy time to get the generator running and the pumps switched to it. Been there done that, gets your adrenaline going real quick! 

Hi CNC,

Whats your situation now? Hopefully the water has started to recede.

We didn't ride in the Laurentions this winter but the amount of snow we saw further east in Mont Valin and the Chaudiere Applaches late February and mid March oI was thinking I couldn't imagine the run off once the spring melt starter.

Thoughts with everyone dealing with the flooding challenges.

1 hour ago, Fuse6 said:

Hi CNC,

Whats your situation now? Hopefully the water has started to recede.

We didn't ride in the Laurentions this winter but the amount of snow we saw further east in Mont Valin and the Chaudiere Applaches late February and mid March oI was thinking I couldn't imagine the run off once the spring melt starter.

Thoughts with everyone dealing with the flooding challenges.

Hi Fuse, 

The water is dropping fast, 21 inch drop since it’s peak Thursday night. Still needs to drop a lot more but we are happy it has gone down that much as rain is predicted and we think there may be a second rise of water as the snow melt from further north that comes down the Rouge river may not have happened yet. For Us lots of disruption and cleanup to come but no real damage or loss. Lots of folks in worse shape really going through hell.

6 minutes ago, grumpysanta said:

CNC  ,, next step to raise the whole house  but not much good if you cant get to it.

Grumpy the whole house was raised 9 ft when the flood proof base was put in. The back fill just below the windows was as per regulations 17 cm higher than the worst flood on record. Then along came this year 3 + feet higher than I have ever seen in my 47 years here and  roughly 6+ feet higher than the average we usually get. I now am looking at raising my garage 4 feet and buying lotto tickets as a back up plan👍

2 minutes ago, MrGutz said:

Pontoons!!

Stay Dry

GutZ

My pontoon boat stored on it’s trailer in the back away from the lake was floating!

water has gone down close to 4 feet over the last few days and while higher than a normal flood easy to take.

LOL

Get a million cans of the spray foam and fill the basement, now you have a house boat... maybe....

It hurts to see all this destruction... but look on the bright side.. at least it's not a forest fire.

GutZ

2 hours ago, MrGutz said:

LOL

Get a million cans of the spray foam and fill the basement, now you have a house boat... maybe....

It hurts to see all this destruction... but look on the bright side.. at least it's not a forest fire.

GutZ

Ha,ha on the spray foam. There are those that have lost everything, I really feel for them. We on the other hand have no damage just a a lot of work moving stuff to keep ahead of the flood and work to put stuff back, One wet garage that we emptied in time and will dry out and lastly lots of flood debris to clean up outside.

1 hour ago, grumpysanta said:

Got to keep the toys high and dry

Yup first stuff out of the garage, I got to ride my bike, ride my sleds and drive my tractors all in one day, too bad it was only to high ground up the road.👍