FXR vs Klim

Signfan

Had Fxrfor years, jacket and bib very warm but heavy. My biggest complaint was not waterproof. Got caught out in the gaspe in rain, gave new meaning to the saying soaked to the bone. Have Klim now definitely not as warm, really have to layer up but staying dry is a plus. Still using the Fxr bib but will probably replace, tired of the wet ass 😧 when snowing!

I know this isn't the brand's you discussing but last winter I tried a pair of Absolute 0 pants from Ski Doo. Very warm, light, and gaurenteed waterproof.  Best pants I have ever owned. This coming season I am purchasing the jacket to go with them.  Met a chap at St Paulin with the jacket, he told me he didn't use the liner in till it was -30° or colder.

We've used Klim for years and it's good stuff. The Klimate line is what we are moving to now to reduce having to layer up. That being said I have a Choko Jacket from Bill that is waterproof and insulated, very warm and recommend it as well.

Later

GutZ

Klim Keweenaw bibs and jacket.  Good stuff.  I also have an older set of the Klimate line.  Good as well.  The Keweenaw jackets are a little longer, where the Klimate was more of a sit at your waist length.  I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the top manufacturers, more personal preference.  Good luck.

Have had both, Klim is really great stuff, but try it on, some sizes run a little small, and on the colder days, it is not as warm, I have been wearing a lite down jacket as layering and found it very warm and lighter as well , both brands are very good, and ditto on the ski doo absolute 0, my friend says it is the best he has ever had.

I bought a choko adventurer (https://chokodesign.com/ca/adventurer.html) last fall. 

The choko was $270 or so. Great quality, very warm, waterproof, etc, etc.  While in the gaspe last February a tour guide commented on my jacket “that’s what everyone should be wearing up here”  I said if money was no object I would have got the absolute 0,  but my cheapness got the best of me. He said “nope, that model choko is warmer, and a better jacket”

Was he right?  No idea, but more knowledgeable than I am.

Regardless I am very happy with it and would buy another.

I wear the choko Adventurer jacket now, before that, the choko extreme touring, choko racing, the choko Bear, and first the choko 400.  You can gaurentee you will never be cold in these choko jackets or their pants.  The best in my opinion was the Extreme Touring jacket with the zip in zip out liner and the venting. This is what drew me to the waterproof Absolute 0 jacket, super warm even on the coldest days, then for late February early March, put the liner in the saddlebags and pull the venting boppers open. Yes they  are a little more then some jackets, but you never want to be cold, sweaty, or wet from the outside in.

I have the Klim bibs and jacket, I forget the model but it's the current good stuff. Definitely not an upgrade in warmth over my 10 year old stuff. Better in every other way. If you want to join the "men in black" community go Klim. the only FXR  piece I own is a spiderman mask. It's my go to when the temps drop. It's the only one I have that holds it's shape. The rest of them move too much when putting on your helmet.

On 5/18/2019 at 7:50 PM, Prp77 said:

I bought a choko adventurer (https://chokodesign.com/ca/adventurer.html) last fall. 

The choko was $270 or so. Great quality, very warm, waterproof, etc, etc.  While in the gaspe last February a tour guide commented on my jacket “that’s what everyone should be wearing up here”  I said if money was no object I would have got the absolute 0,  but my cheapness got the best of me. He said “nope, that model choko is warmer, and a better jacket”

Was he right?  No idea, but more knowledgeable than I am.

Regardless I am very happy with it and would buy another.

I had the Adventurer from Choko. I “upgraded” to a high-end Klim (forget the model but it was their most expensive). I like the Choko better. Choko is warmer with better pocket options. And did I mention noticeably warmer? Sold the Klim and went back to Choko Adventurer. Have heard great things about Doo’s Absolute Zero......but it’s nearly 2x the cost of an Adventurer. 

• 3 weeks later...