ATV trail questions

Triggerhappy

Well I decided to get back into the side by side game and I purchased one again.  I have never ridden on the trails in Quebec with an ATV and I have looked into it but I thought I would see what insight I can get from some of you.  I know some of you ride the summer trails so I thought I would ask. I would be crossing from NY on the Northway going through Montreal.  We usually snowmobile out of Shawinigan but where we stay the trails do not go to. So would it be better to pick up the trails closer to St. Zenon and go north or trailer further east of Shawinigan like St Raymond and go from there?  We would be interested in riding from either a home base each day or even starting from a safe place for truck and trailer and doing a loop returning to truck in 3 or 4 days.  Any insight or opinions of where to stay or trails to run etc... are welcome as it is all new to me with the ATV's up there.  Thank you. 

IMG_4260.JPG

Hey Chris,

That Razr looks DEAD SEXI!  Well done!  Good luck with it!  Too bad the Berkshire Mass state forests have 1,000lb weight limit, including the rider. 

We trailered the quads up in summer '08 (damn time flies) and did day trips out of St Donut. The trails & services were well marked & mapped. Kinda bumpy along the way, and dusty as hell after the lead machine, when it wasn't raining. Anyway, still fun goofing off and all. 

898576072_StDonat021.thumb.JPG.dfe16d721be83025e57aba2c5139f5a7.JPG

1256404093_StDonat022.thumb.JPG.2ab8e37039b10cc87741e58f15a03779.JPG

332462070_StDonat024.thumb.JPG.17882b5841a66d3899423ecbc8139dc0.JPG

519034860_StDonat025.thumb.JPG.91e17856215669ca8b6e384fddf98ec3.JPG

1970114134_StDonat027.thumb.JPG.57652e77ad5012ff35553aafba1e3338.JPG

2 hours ago, MrGutz said:

TRAITOR!!!

LOL

Trailblazer should be able to point you in the right direction.

Later

GutZ

I was thinking of Trailblazer as a great source so I hope he finds this.  

1 hour ago, PLAYHARD said:

Hey Chris,

That Razr looks DEAD SEXI!  Well done!  Good luck with it!  Too bad the Berkshire Mass state forests have 1,000lb weight limit, including the rider. 

We trailered the quads up in summer '08 (damn time flies) and did day trips out of St Donut. The trails & services were well marked & mapped. Kinda bumpy along the way, and dusty as hell after the lead machine, when it wasn't raining. Anyway, still fun goofing off and all. 

Damn, a 1000lbs limit including the rider!?  I would have trouble riding a bicycle then on those trails in the Berkshire Mass forests to keep under that weight.  lol  I have heard the ATV trails in Quebec have all different kinds of terrain and I think I would enjoy seeing the area with no snow on it as well.   I just love seeing the wilderness and what Canada has to offer.  I rode Tug Hill area with it a couple weeks ago and it was fun, but its mostly dirt roads and limited on terrain changes, 

Edited by Triggerhappy

15 hours ago, Triggerhappy said:

Damn, a 1000lbs limit including the rider!?  I would have trouble riding a bicycle then on those trails in the Berkshire Mass forests to keep under that weight.  lol  I have heard the ATV trails in Quebec have all different kinds of terrain and I think I would enjoy seeing the area with no snow on it as well.   I just love seeing the wilderness and what Canada has to offer.  I rode Tug Hill area with it a couple weeks ago and it was fun, but its mostly dirt roads and limited on terrain changes, 

A group of us rode Tug Hill a few years back, never go back. We rode up in New Hampshire ( Ride the Wilds ) a couple if times, very nice ! Last year we did day trips out of Rabaska. Now that was a Blast ! First time ever in Quebec for most of the group so Rabaska was a Grand Slam, I looked like a hero.

Hope this helps out

1 hour ago, Pipemaster said:

A group of us rode Tug Hill a few years back, never go back. We rode up in New Hampshire ( Ride the Wilds ) a couple if times, very nice ! Last year we did day trips out of Rabaska. Now that was a Blast ! First time ever in Quebec for most of the group so Rabaska was a Grand Slam, I looked like a hero.

Hope this helps out

Yes this definitely helps.  I will look into Rabaska.  Were the trails there wide enough for side by sides?  I know some places (like bridges etc) can be an issue in some areas.  Thanks for the info!

3 minutes ago, 800steve said:

I know they used to ride right out of Safari. Day trip to La tuque.

My friend asked Pascal at Drakkar yesterday and he said that you would have to trailer a little bit from there to ride.  Looking at the ATV map it does show that the trail is not there in the summer for ATV's but you can ride from there on them in the winter.  ????  

The trip to Latuque is exactly what I wanted to do from Drakkar.  I am going to check into it further and see if there is a way from Drakkar, as it is a nice and safe place to stay.

Start at the FQCQ website, download iquad.  Keep in mind the groomer shows you where to go in the winter, the summer roads can be a little more difficult to navigate.   The city of  LaTuque has some proposed layouts that are nice.  You can check the motorized sports link there.  We just got back from a 2 day trip last weekend.   Still quite a bit of snow on the Lepine road.  I try to avoid the little trails near the towns.  As previously mentioned, the trail is usually pretty rough.  I stick to the roads further north.

20180720_095842.jpg

Triggerhappy

I don’t have much riding experience out of Shawinagan so I can’t speak much of that area. 

Most of my/our riding is not in the trail network and done in back country roads and pathes north of Mt.Laurier and St.Zenon, I know these areas very well and have done a lot of riding up there.

Cabanon would be a good location to do loops out of and/or a 3-4 day trip, Ste Anne du Lac good to start trips from too Rabaska as well good for loops and trips. Cabanon and Rabaska would be safer parking when leaving for a few days all though I haven’t experienced or heard any bad reports of SAdL. In the past I’ve started a few trips out Relais Windigo by the falls but that place burned down a few years back and so we park in SAdL behind the motel and ride out to Rabaska or up to Lunic and beyond, more options there. There’s a new atv/snowmobile bridge built last year crossing the Riviere Lapin so getting to Mekoos on atv from SAdL is now possible with out having to go 10 klms south on the highway risking a ticket to catch a backroad up to Mekoos.

An interesting ride out of Cabanon, follow the sled trail up to the dam then on up to Repos and Kanawata, visit Casey and the runway. There’s even underground bunkers around the Casey runway that are interesting visits.

Out of SAdL or Rabaska head up ch Lepine to Clova then on to Martins on the reservoir Gouin, from there head west, some nice dams and dykes to see and you can return via Balbuzard back to Ch. Lepine, more runways to see over there too.

Good luck with your ventures

14 hours ago, Trailblazer said:

Triggerhappy

I don’t have much riding experience out of Shawinagan so I can’t speak much of that area. 

Most of my/our riding is not in the trail network and done in back country roads and pathes north of Mt.Laurier and St.Zenon, I know these areas very well and have done a lot of riding up there.

Cabanon would be a good location to do loops out of and/or a 3-4 day trip, Ste Anne du Lac good to start trips from too Rabaska as well good for loops and trips. Cabanon and Rabaska would be safer parking when leaving for a few days all though I haven’t experienced or heard any bad reports of SAdL. In the past I’ve started a few trips out Relais Windigo by the falls but that place burned down a few years back and so we park in SAdL behind the motel and ride out to Rabaska or up to Lunic and beyond, more options there. There’s a new atv/snowmobile bridge built last year crossing the Riviere Lapin so getting to Mekoos on atv from SAdL is now possible with out having to go 10 klms south on the highway risking a ticket to catch a backroad up to Mekoos.

An interesting ride out of Cabanon, follow the sled trail up to the dam then on up to Repos and Kanawata, visit Casey and the runway. There’s even underground bunkers around the Casey runway that are interesting visits.

Out of SAdL or Rabaska head up ch Lepine to Clova then on to Martins on the reservoir Gouin, from there head west, some nice dams and dykes to see and you can return via Balbuzard back to Ch. Lepine, more runways to see over there too.

Good luck with your ventures

Great info.  Thank you very much for taking the time.  I am looking forward to trying different areas up there.  Those sound great.     

On 5/26/2019 at 9:46 AM, Je me souviens said:

Get a spare tire mounted on a rim, pretty easy to have a blowout that a plug wont touch

Just thinking.... how about a big can of the expanding foam, the kind that is used for insulation???

That stuff is a goooey stickey  mess, may get you out of the woods, or last the trip.

GutZ

On 5/27/2019 at 8:35 PM, smclelan said:

When I look at the Quebec quad site it says you need a rider competency course. What is the deal on that??

Thank God they don't need one for the sleds!!!

Now an Incompetency course, or Incontinence course.... 

LOL

GutZ

On 6/2/2019 at 8:47 PM, PLAYHARD said:

Best regards from Pittsfield State Forest.

Perfect weekend to shake off the cob webs.

IMG_20190601_144645.thumb.jpg.70ac5273bc3b3b74a75a5556d72c8555.jpg

Hmmm.  Been about 12 years since I've ridden PSF. Actually surprised the trails are open with all the rain we received.   Had lots of good times riding there. 

Riding ATV in Quebec is an incredible experience and suggest that you do not pass up the opportunity.  

Staying at the Cabanon is a good starting point, ride the trails around and have fun. Points north are nice with open roads and the opportunity to remove most of the built up carbon in the engine.  A Raptor is highly recommended.  Lol

20150815_191536.jpg

What kind of mileage are you guys riding on a typical ATV trip in a day?  Been looking at maybe trying a trip north of Saint Anne du Lac.  Just curious is 130 km a reasonable day?  Comparable to maybe a 300 km day on the sleds?

10 hours ago, Signfan said:

What kind of mileage are you guys riding on a typical ATV trip in a day?  Been looking at maybe trying a trip north of Saint Anne du Lac.  Just curious is 130 km a reasonable day?  Comparable to maybe a 300 km day on the sleds?

I would guess depending on the trails you ride up there that 150 miles would be a pretty good average day ride.  I haven't ridden it yet either, but those I have talked to say if riding pretty open trails that they have ridden 200 miles in a day.  depends on the trails and obviously what you are looking to do (sight seeing, push from town to town etc..)

On 6/4/2019 at 9:57 PM, Signfan said:

My group tends to like miles and we usually ride around 150-200 miles a day.

Be mindful of your range and plan accordingly.  I get about 75-80 miles per 2.9 gallon tank of fuel, riding at 60mph. Me current setup has a 1.5 gal fuel can mount