US Medicare in Canada

mikerider

As if Medicare in the US isn't confusing enough, then having to choose a Medigap plan or an Advantage plan adds to the woe. (I have an Advantage plan)

From trying to research all this as to needing medical insurance when in Canada, it sounds like Medicare may not provide coverage out of the country. Travel insurance is an option, but does not usually cover pre-existing conditions or it costs a fortune to get pre-existing conditions covered for travel.

Just wondering if any of you on  Medicare have any knowledge about this matter or have had a situation where you needed expensive treatment while in Canada.  I don't want to go bankrupt due to some medical emergency.  (I am talking non snowmobile accident type medical problems).

mike

I don’t know about your Medicare etc but a friend who was up here the other year broke his ankle. He did have some kind of travel or private insurance that would reimburse him and they confirmed it at the time of the accident, but all costs here in Quebec paid up front with a credit card. 

Thanks,   my private insurance I got through work was fine. Now that I am older than 65 and retired, Medicare is the only route for US citizens.

Travel insurance doesn't cover pre-existing conditions.   Thus it would not cover  a repeat of something I have had already, like  a heart attack.

Look up Medigap under Medicare.gov. There are supplemental plans available that cover emergency medical care outside the US. There are deductibles involved. I just started Medicare and purchased a Plan G. If you have pre-existing conditions you may want a supplemental plan. 

Thanks Catman.   

It seems everyone I talked to when signing up for Medicare touted the advantage plan I joined.  $19 a month. Never even heard of Medigap at the time. Since then  learned Mediga[ is around $200 a month but does not cover meds, like advantage plans do. And you can not have both a medigap plan AND an advantage plan. It is just confusing, and traveling to Canada makes it more confusing.              Catman, is a plan G a medicare plan or bought from private insurance company.   Thanks.

Thanks Steve.   $50K would be a good piece of mind,   or a small down payment on a heart attack should it occur in Canada. I guess my next step will be doing more research and maybe switch over to a different plan next fall.

mike

1 hour ago, 800steve said:

BCBS plan F has a 50,000 limit on out of country benefits. 

Steve, I have BCBS supplement to my Medicare. I don't have a clue which "plan" it is. Is this something you requested extra? I'm not worried about a heart attack but I am worried about hittin a tree trying to keep up with Mike.

6 minutes ago, jak said:

Steve, I have BCBS supplement to my Medicare. I don't have a clue which "plan" it is. Is this something you requested extra? I'm not worried about a heart attack but I am worried about hittin a tree trying to keep up with Mike.

Same here, not worried about the heart, but you never know. If you go on BCBS web site or call them they will tell you what plan it is. Looks like alot of them have the out of country emergency plan. 80% up to 50000 dollars. 

I only have liability (in case I hurt someone else) and theft, I don't think it would cover my medical bills? Besides I'm riding a 4 stoke this year so probably won't be able to go as fast anyway!!!! BTW Mike, wine is good for the heart so I don't think you have to worry. I will reach out to BCBS and see what plan I have. Never gave this issue a thought till you fellas brought it up.

Joe,     

You probably have a 'Medigap' plan through BCBS.  I have an 'Advantage' plan. In fact, I never heard of the Medigap plan until just recently. My Advantage plan pays for drugs and runs my Medicare plan and is only $19  a month. I have found my plan has huge money coming out of my pocket for the big medical stuff. A Medigap plan probably pays most of the big out of pocket expenses that come with Medicare. But my understanding is Medigap plans cost a couple hundred a month.

And Joe, as far as going slower on your new 4 stroke this coming winter, I seem to remember you racing your high performance 2 stroke against a 95 HP 4 stroke last winter and you had to buy the 4 stroke driver a drink afterwards. 

Edited by mikerider
Add

2 hours ago, mikerider said:

Joe,     

You probably have a 'Medigap' plan through BCBS.  I have an 'Advantage' plan. In fact, I never heard of the Medigap plan until just recently. My Advantage plan pays for drugs and runs my Medicare plan and is only $19  a month. I have found my plan has huge money coming out of my pocket for the big medical stuff. A Medigap plan probably pays most of the big out of pocket expenses that come with Medicare. But my understanding is Medigap plans cost a couple hundred a month.

And Joe, as far as going slower on your new 4 stroke this coming winter, I seem to remember you racing your high performance 2 stroke against a 95 HP 4 stroke last winter and you had to buy the 4 stroke driver a drink afterwards. 

First, I didn't know we were racing until you were 4 sled lengths ahead of me. I recall once I realized what was going on I "flew" by you like you were standing still! As far as drinking that would be a lot closer contest!

I just got off the phone with BCBS. I was told I am covered 100% just as if in the states. However, I would have to pay out of pocket and then be reimbursed. The person I spoke with emphasized how important it is to get and keep all receipts, emergency room, hospital, ambulance, etc. Lets hope none of us ever need these services. I pay about $160 a month through my previous employer, that includes teeth and glasses.

Thanks Gutz,        Looks like Imglobal directs you to numerous companies that sell midical/travel Ins and you get quotes for what you need. If it is actually good coverage for that small an amount, well, that is pretty good. They only problem I have, being retired,  I come and go,  no real plan of dates on when to leave for Canada or when to come home and the more I learn about these travel/medical insurance plans, they need exact dates. And many don't cover pre existing conditions or charge a fortune to do so.  So far in my research it is looking like switching over from an Advantage plan to a Medigap plan solves the problem, but the monthly bill goes from $19 a month to around $300 a month. The Advantage ($19 mo.) has out of pocket expenses of about $6,800, where as you will spend more than $6,800 every two years for Medigap, (which will probably pay for medical in Canada).  jak probably gets his Medigap  for $160 and is supplemented (partly paid for) by his former employer or union.

Edited by mikerider

40 minutes ago, mikerider said:

Thanks Gutz,        Looks like Imglobal directs you to numerous companies and you get quotes for what you need. If it is actually good coverage for that small an amount, well, that is pretty good. They only problem I have, being retired,  I come and go,  no real plan of dates on when to leave or when to come home and the more I learn about these travel/medical insurance plans, they need exact dates. So far in my research it is looking like switching over from an Advantage plan to a Medigap plan may be my best option, probably what jak has. It will be tough going from $19 a month to $150 to $250 a month or more.

Mike, it looks like you will be switching to cheaper wine this winter.

8 minutes ago, 800steve said:

Mike, it looks like you will be switching to cheaper wine this winter.

lol  Steve!    I may be popping triple doses of heart meds to make sure I don't have a heart attack in Canada. OR, when I am admitted to the hospital, I will register under jak's name.                                                  I already drink the cheap wine. (what did you think was in that 6 gallon gas can in the back of my truck?).

Edited by mikerider

14 minutes ago, mikerider said:

lol  Steve!    I may be popping triple doses of heart meds to make sure I don't have a heart attack in Canada. OR, when I am admitted to the hospital, I will register under jak's name.                                                  I already drink the cheap wine. (what did you think was in that 6 gallon gas can in the back of my truck?).

With all the time we spend in Quebec, we should look into dual citizenship. That " free" health care could come in handy.

29 minutes ago, 800steve said:

With all the time we spend in Quebec, we should look into dual citizenship. That " free" health care could come in handy.

And free college!!!  Steve, we could be brain surgeons in our next life.