(NY) Group offers 10 ways to make sport safer

PLAYHARD

I applaud the swift implementation and most strict enforcement of all 10 measures, be it for preventative or punitive effect, but I'm still not riding south of the border!  Way too many hazy crash reports speculating: "speed and/or alcohol may have been a factor"...

http://syracusepoststandard.ny.newsmemory.com/?publink=0d5ecb2f3

Group offers 10 ways to make sport safer

David Figura dfigura@nyup.com

The New York State Snowmobile Association has come up with 10 recommendations to make the sport safer in this state in the wake of 21 snowmobile-related fatalities this past winter.

New York led the nation in snowmobile- related deaths during the winter of 2018-19, the second time that has happened in the past three winters.

“This last season the number of fatalities was extremely disconcerting to the NYSSA board. Working with both the Association’s Safety and Government Affairs committees, we developed a list of proposals we believe, if enacted, would make our trails somewhat safer,” said Dominic Jacangelo, executive director of the Snowmobile Association.

Jacangelo added, “But no piece of legislation can replace the prudent operation of a sled by a rider.”

The group’s recommendations follow stories documenting the fatalities; how residents and officials in the greater Old Forge (Town of Webb) area were concerned about the deaths; how officials suspect alcohol plays a role in snowmobile crashes, but the data is incomplete; how police and judges are “frustrated” by New York’s weak laws concerning drinking and snowmobiling — and finally, that despite risks, fewer New Yorkers are taking snowmobile safety courses.

The Snowmobile Association’s recommendations would require new legislation and a few changes in the practices of the state Parks Department, which oversees snowmobiling in New York and by the state Department of Motor Vehicles. Also, the Association called for changes in the way courts handle snowmobile-related cases and for the sharing of information by county coroners concerning snowmobile-related deaths.

The recommendations include a heavy emphasis on the way snowmobile-while-intoxicated cases are handled and for an increase in penalties. In addition, some recommendations tie in to the operation of motor boats as well, However, there was no mention of requiring snowmobile safety courses for adult riders as some other states do. Currently, New York only requires riders ages 10-18 to take a snowmobile safety course. Safety classes in New York are only offered in classroom settings. There is no online option, which some other big snowmobiling states offer their residents.

“It was discussed in the context of mandatory education, “Jacangelo said, “but (after talking to officials in other snowmobiling states) no one felt that that would make a big difference.”

He added that Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan and other states offer online snowmobile safety courses at a cost to anyone wanting to take them. Although these courses don’t cover New York State laws, they do cover essential snowmobiling safety information that anyone could benefit from.

Snowmobiling is a big deal in Upstate New York. The state’s snowmobiling community has a seasonal economic impact of $868 million, according to a 2011 study by the State University at Potsdam.

The following are the NYSSA recommendations: 1. Create the crime of aggravated snowmobiling while intoxicated for individuals caught with a blood alcohol level of .16 or greater. This would double the fines and penalties, or at least increase them by 50 percent for the offense.

“This recommendation would mirror motor vehicle law, where if someone is caught driving while highly intoxicated the result is that a higher schedule of penalties kick in,” Jacangelo said. “Right now, when you’re caught snowmobiling with a blood alcohol level of .08 or higher, you’re treated the same.”

2. Any conviction for driving while intoxicated in a snowmobile, boat or motor vehicle shall/can be considered a prior conviction for sentencing in snowmobiling while intoxicated court cases.

This would result in stiffer fines, longer jail time in the event of a second offense, Jacangelo said.

3. Provide that the court shall restrict the privilege to operate a boat or snowmobile and may restrict the driver’s license of person convicted of operating a car, boat, or snowmobile upon a conviction of operating any of the foregoing under the influence of alcohol. Such suspensions of privilege may be postponed by a judge for up to six months to ensure that the penalty takes effect during the snowmobiling season.

Currently, a judge will suspend a snowmobiler’s right to operate a snowmobile (or a motor vehicle or a boat) for six months after a person is found guilty, or pleads guilty to a driving while intoxicated offense. However, if a snowmobiler’s ability to ride is restricted from say May to October, Jacangelo said, it really isn’t much of a penalty if it doesn’t affect a sledder’s ability to ride in the following snowmobile season.

This suggested change in law would allow a judge to delay the sentence for up to six months, penalizing the snowmobiler for the upcoming winter season. Judges currently can’t do that.

4. In the case of a snowmobile fatality, a coroner or medical examiner shall share the blood alcohol level (the actual number) of the person who died with the office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation who is charged with keeping accident statistics.

Currently, that information is not shared. This could require an administrative order by the state Department of Health to make such information available to the Parks Department.

“Getting the coroner’s information would certainly clear up some points,” Jacangelo said. “Everyone should know if a person who died was drinking or had a heart attack or a stroke. Everyone would be served by good data.”

5. Provide that at the request of the local court (justice), the Commissioner of Parks shall be able to request of the commissioner of DMV that the motor vehicle license or motor vehicle registration in addition to the vessel or snowmobile registration be suspended for failure to answer a summons relating to the operation of a snowmobile or vessel. The court shall provide adequate proof that it has attempted to reach the party and warn of such suspension.

Apart from driving a snowmobile or boat while intoxicated offenses, there are currently few ramifications for not answering or failing to pay tickets related to snowmobiling or boating — especially if you’re not from the area where the ticket was issued, Jacangelo said.

“Judges have been frustrated by this. With this law change, you can’t be a scofflaw,” he said. “If efforts are made to reach you and you ignore them for a snowmobile or boating ticket, you could have your driver’s license or motor vehicle registration suspended.”

6. The Department of Motor Vehicles shall maintain a record of any violations / convictions of violations relating to the operation of a snowmobile or vessel.

Currently, the DMV does not maintain such records related to most snowmobiling and boating offenses. “Snowmobiling while intoxicated tickets are recorded, other violations are not,” Jacangelo said.

7. Provide that the court shall consider any prior conviction relating to the operation of a snowmobile or vessel for the purpose of imposing a penalty where no minimum penalty or graduated penalty is provided.

Once again, this would stiffen the penalties for repeat offenders, regardless of whether they were driving a snowmobile of a boat, Jacangelo said.

8. No person over 18 years of age shall operate a snowmobile unless such person is licensed to operate a motor vehicle in New York or such other state that issues a driver’s license or possess a non-driver’s license identification from New York or other state. Every person operating a snowmobile shall have (on their person) proof of identification from New York or other state. Every person operating a snowmobile shall provide proof of identification to any police or peace offer charged with the enforcement of laws relating to operation or registration of a snowmobile upon the lawful demand for such identification. Every person under 18 operating a snowmobile shall obtain a snowmobile safety certificate prior to such operation.

Jacangelo said a problem voiced by law enforcement officials is that frequently they come across snowmobilers with no identification on them, or upon snowmobilers who don’t have a driver’s license. When one is driving a car and pulled over by a police officer they are required to produce a driver’s license or some other form of identification. There is no similar statute in the state’s snowmobiling laws.

“A lot of snowmobilers don’t carry their wallets with them for fear of dropping them in the snow,” he said. “However, how is the officer to know who you are?

“That’s the debate. It would take a change of law and it would be interesting to see what lawmakers think about this.”

9. Have the governor direct State Police, En-Con Police & Rangers, and the Park Police to maximize law enforcement activities relating to snowmobiling while intoxicated and reckless operation at the beginning of snowmobile season and on those important and key tourism weekends, such as Martin Luther King weekend, and the two weekends associated with President’s Weekend.

“We saw some early (in the season) fatalities this year,” Jacangelo said. “The idea is you lay the law down at the beginning of the season and modify behavior for the entire season.”

10. Direct Office of state Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation to do a Consolidated Accident Report for snowmobiles each year.

There’s no schedule for that, Jacangelo said. State Parks puts out an annual report, but it’s lacking in detail. It lists number of accidents/deaths but the report is lacking in causes and analysis of those incidents. The last such consolidated report was released following the winter of 2016-17.

1920444632_NYSledArticle.thumb.jpg.ad885cf876d04c58aceba48bfddcb30e.jpg

It's pretty simple...riding your sled while drunk is stupid.  I live in northeast NY and refrain from riding the area.  Strictly for a test ride after a repair or major change to my setup. It would take me just as long to get to tug hill as St. Raymond, so that is never going to happen.  The idea that riding from one bar stool to another, no matter what the location, is acceptable, is ridiculous.  I am always amazed when I see people consuming alcohol in excess, knowing that they are about get on a machine that can easily kill you with no impairment to your faculties.  I would support more sobriety tests on all sled trails.   Being the lead dog is dangerous enough as it is, add turbo and booze, now you have a recipe for disaster.  It seems that people have a hard enough time keeping it on the right as it is, use your brain, not your balls when riding with the gang, the life you save might be yours.  

Wow!!!! Its 2019 and New York State is just looking at laws of this sort now?  Changes of this sort happened in Canada 20 years ago.  Snowmobiliers don't carry their wallet cause they might drop it in the snow???  That's complete BS.  Time for New York state to catch up to the rest of the snowmobiling community.

#1 if caught riding while intoxicated lose everything. Sled liscence car ect. NEVER get them back. ( I feel the same about TEXTING and driving. But that's a whole other subject)

#2 WHY should someone have to have a licence to drive a car to be able to ride a snowmobile? Even if they are under 18. I know many kids that are better riders than most adults. Take the ability for them to ride on their own and they will loose interest and find something else to do. I do understand there needs to be some restrictions on age but as far as I am concerned 14 year olds are capable of riding on there own. At least I feel like I was.

#3 WHY do I care???? If I am riding in NY its on the St,Lawrence river and there isn't much traffic out there! 

I guess I'll just stick to Quebec!!