Ontario snowmobile trails compared to Quebec?

yorkxf9000

I know this is a QR site but was wondering if anyone has snowmobiled in Ontario and if they have how’d it compare to Quebec? Also any particular area where you can stage day trips from kinda like the Lac saint Jean areas. 

Thanks, Terry. 

I have ridden both quite a few times.  I, however; have not ridden the Lac Saint Jean area very much.  To me, Quebec has a much more remote feel to it with a lot of varying terrain in comparison to Ontario.  Quebec, even though it is remote, they seem to have an abundance of available services with outfitters and small towns providing amble opportunity for breaks, gas and drinks and eats.  Depending on where you are at in Ontario, this may not be the case.  IMO, Quebec trails are a little bit better maintained and the province does a better job of recognizing snowmobiling as a vital industry.   From a day trip perspective, the North Bay area or areas South and South West of there are probably your best bets, otherwise much of what you will encounter will be ride out and ride back if you don't want to saddlebag, as the loops will be too large to do in one day.  Snow and cold temps are a big deal with much of Ontario.  In the southern parts the trail system rely relies heavily on the lakes to be frozen in order to connect.  This area is also very rocky, which requires a significant amount of snow to get the system up and running.   The northern part of Ontario, Cochrane, Timmins, Kirkland Lake, etc. doesn't require quite as much snow, but it is flat, straight, and vast.  In other words, day loops are pretty limited here.  The OFSC website is very useful and their app seems to work pretty good when riding.   Signage in Ontario is very good and the interactive map showing open, limited and closed trails as proven to be pretty reliable.   I would say one of the big differences I have encountered is Ontario doesn't seem to be very interested in re-routing a trail if necessary like I've experienced in Quebec.  A couple examples - I have ridden plowed roads for logging in Ontario for miles on end whereas in Quebec it seems if it is going to be too far, they will do their best to get you around it.  Another was last year, for some reason, they had to close a 2 mile section of trail and because they didn't do a re-route for it, it made it impossible to do a loop that otherwise could have been completed in a day.  Oddly enough, this section was part of a trunk trail, which made it even worse.

As a matter of perspective, these are the areas I have the most familiarity with:  Quebec - St. Zenon, St. Michel, Maniwaki, Mt. Laurier, Sennetterre, Manawan, (Areas North, South, East and West of the aforementioned).   Ontario - NorthBay, Ahmic Lake, Cochrane, Kirkland Lake, Timmins, Sundridge, Mattawa.

Coming from Maine, you could do day trips out of St Raymond and have very good rides to the West, North and East. If you want to trailer to Jonquiere you wont regret it. Great rides in ALL directions.

We’ve been going to Quebec for the past four years for a week in February Riding in the  rivure du loupe and Lac ST Jean area and we were thinking about trying Ontario but it sounds like that area is more suited for saddle bag trips. We did the Gaspe once but we just prefer to stay in one area and do day trips. I just thought I would reach out and get some feedback on the Ontario area. Looking at their trails I kinda thought it was more of a saddle bagging area. 

As an Ontario resident I can attest we have a great trail system.  There are some differences from Quebec, but nothing that should discourage a trip if looking to try something new.  For mid February you are coming in prime time.  Try Bancroft if you want to ride multiple day trips from one location.  North Bay is also a great pic for this. Weather here in the southern and central portions of the province is not as reliable as Lac St Jean, but it is a pretty good bet for mid February riding to be prime conditions.  What type of riding and terrain are you looking for? How big of days do you want to put in and what are you looking for in accomodation?  I would also recommend Cochrane as a good spot to ride some day trips from.  That said your drive from Maine to get up there will be a long one.  The weather up there is as reliable as lac st Jean and the trails are exceptional.  I love riding in both provinces.  Highly recommend Ontario with a little bit of planning and flexibility built in.

I'm from Ontario, 50 miles east of Toronto but travel to Quebec to do 80% of our riding. Like Quebec Ontario is a vast area with variety of topography and conditions. Many pass years having adequate snow for great conditions has been a challenge until later in the season with a narrow window of ideal conditions usually in February. 

From Maine and looking for a new area to,ride I would consider:

1. Chaudiere Applaches. THetford Mines area would be a great spot to day trip out of.  Different riding than most of Quebec. Not remote like to the north. Rolling farm fields, sugar bushes multitude of loops to do what ever mileage you want for a day. We stopped here for a few days last winter on our way back from Mont Valin. Had such good riding went back the next week with my wife for another 4 days. Some good Trip reports in the Chaudiere Applaches region section here in QR.

2. Northern New Brunswick: Great riding in New Brunswick. Not as scenic as the Gaspe, more remote .We saddlebagged there for 5 days and did 1,150 miles. Maybe not as well suited for day tripping. We spend a day riding in the Hartland- Grand Falls- Plaster Rock area. Really nice trails and rolling topography with lots options for day loops. We find after 3 days in any one spot you have rode most the area. A 1 or 2 hour truck ride can provide a whole new base to ride out of for another couple days.

3. Mont Laurier: 8.5 hour truck ride from Bangor. For day tripping I still like the Mont Laurier and north area. Stay at one of the lodges to the north, Rabaska Lodge or Mekoos. This area has multitude loop options, beautiful trails, wooded rolling topography and if weather has been cooperative grooming is usually excellent. I would avoid this area on the free weekend as it will get lots of Ontario traffic then and will take a few days after to get trails groomed up again.