2020 Trail Permits - Online Only

Signfan

They're pretty clear about this:

How can I continue to support my local club?

You should always purchase your trail permit from the club that maintains the trails you ride most often. A location map allows you to select your club and continue to encourage it. 
*If you have kept your trail permit from last year, a 3 or 5-digit number (CCC-RR) located in the upper right identifies your club (CCC) and its region (RR).

I’ve been using the online purchasing for seasonal permits for the past couple of years and have had no problems.  There is a slight delay in receiving your permit/sticker for those of us in the states as it transitions from Canada Post to US Post.  I’d say approximately 10 days to 2 weeks.  That hasn’t been an issue for me as I order season permits early.  I do have concerns for those that will get a 7 day permit for certain dates.  Most of my group gets their 7 day permits at the hotel we’re staging at.  What happens if you order those type permits two to three weeks ahead of time, then you have to change dates for some reason?  I’m not sure online ordering will work well for these type permits.  Perhaps someone with more knowledge can comment?

In Ontario they have been online only for a few years.  The direction is to print the temp permit off and tape it to the sled in the same location any other permit would go.  If you get stopped the temp pass is as good as a proper sticker within the temp period which in the case of day or week passes would be the same time frame the pass would be good for.  I agree this kinda sucks from an aesthetic standpoint.  It's also not weatherproof.  I guess it works though.  The vin on the temp pass would need to match your sled to be valid.  I guess in theory you could buy right before you takeoff and ask your hotel to print your pass off for you on their printer.  I think this is the way the free pass weekend has worked in the past as well.

• 2 weeks later...

We've been stopped in Ontario numerous times at random check points and never had anything other than the temporary permit that you print when you order online.  We always carrying it in our jacket or in with the registration cards for our sleds.  They have never questioned why we didn't tape it to the windshield.  As a matter of fact, they never even commented on it.  Furthermore when we've bought daily passes for Ontario, they have never sent anything additional in the mail.

4 hours ago, ChrisWright said:

We've been stopped in Ontario numerous times at random check points and never had anything other than the temporary permit that you print when you order online.  We always carrying it in our jacket or in with the registration cards for our sleds.  They have never questioned why we didn't tape it to the windshield.  As a matter of fact, they never even commented on it.  Furthermore when we've bought daily passes for Ontario, they have never sent anything additional in the mail.

Did you still get charged the shipping and handling fee? Or does that only apply to seasonal sales?

The amount of behind-the-scenes-volunteer-discouraging hassle this initiative saves is mind-boggling and I would be happy to enumerate the problems solved ... but only because I'm a fast typist!  Suffice to say that vast amounts of mind-numbing paperwork, needless running around (often at personal expence), flouting of FCMQ rules ("illegal" selling of trail permits at discounted prices for cash), and commissions paid to permit vendors will be eliminated. Volunteer labour and permit monies are better expended on actual trail maintenance.  Speaking as a club president married to the club treasurer I can frankly and enthusiastically say .... we can't wait!!

On 8/21/2019 at 8:25 PM, Signfan said:

Did you still get charged the shipping and handling fee? Or does that only apply to seasonal sales?

Honestly, I don't remember.  I don't believe we did.  I am thinking it was just the permit costs.  If there was a shipping and handling fee it had to have been very minimal, like a dollar or two, otherwise I would remember.

I purchased online last year too...and I support Jean-Guys club as its a small way to thank him for all that he does for us when we are there...club 116 I believe. I found the process very easy.

Edited by lindasledgirl
Wrong club

• 3 weeks later...

*** Breaking News ***

Bill just told\emailed me that they are not allowing him to sell passes this year!!! (or anyone)

With purchasing them on line this year, are we able to note "Why" we are choosing a particular club??

G's or Bill's or "your name here" should get some credit?

Maybe this year I'll get one from Bill's club, Groomers, and another maybe from Iceman's

But it would be nice if they got a Nod from the club for the efforts they've put in.

Later

GutZ

5 hours ago, MrGutz said:

*** Breaking News ***

Bill just told\emailed me that they are not allowing him to sell passes this year!!! (or anyone)

With purchasing them on line this year, are we able to note "Why" we are choosing a particular club??

G's or Bill's or "your name here" should get some credit?

Maybe this year I'll get one from Bill's club, Groomers, and another maybe from Iceman's

But it would be nice if they got a Nod from the club for the efforts they've put in.

Later

I believe only buying permits online is a good thing. (The other side of the story).  Club members like Jean Guy, Bill, and many others spent many, many hours helping snowmobilers get the proper and complete information for their permit. Often sending back emails to get everything needed, then taking this information and money to the club secretary.  Then the permit has to be filled out and mailed to the permit holder and to the Federation with at times considerable financial risk.....all this is done by volunteers.  

I believe having the Federation computer do all the work and then the Federation send a check to the designated club for their portion is long overdue.

Thank you to all club members and volunteers that sold us permits in the past!!  We certainly appreciate all your personal time you have given up in the past to help us get our permits.

I agree that the Online passes will make  a better system and will be more efficient. We just can't forget that "Face Time" is a very important. The club may\will become a faceless monolith and online code. 

Maybe we should all try to be a little more involved with a club?

Later

GutZ

i just received a note that 7 day passes will still be available at the clubs