Tremblant- St Faustin by pass

Cnc

I passed by tuesday and the hydro axe was down, the operator had eaten a good 20' section of pig wire fencing by the looks of it... the mobile mechanic was there working on it... i wonder how they are going to pass the rock cap on the north east side of the cote morrison... its pretty tight along the guard rail and the cap, dont think the groomer will pass...

I have no idea how they will do that, I know that the original plan required at least one bridge type structure along the route, I want to see where they end up.                            

Shortly after they closed that section of the Petite Train de Nord, we ran up the 117 median a few times, talk about some tight places past blasted rock in there.

we did a slow drive of the entire trajectory of the new trail today, the hydro-axe work is almost finished, there is a considerable amount of excavation and modification the needs to be done in several places, but all in all the trail is right along the north-east side of the #117 highway... the groomer will actually fit quite well between the "wall" of stone on the upper portion of the morrison hill....👍

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, 800steve said:

Great to see, we use to ride in the St Agathe area alot before the rail trail was shut down.

Going to be hard for snowmobile haters to shut this part down, the noise from the traffic on the 117 hwy far exceeds the noise of today’s sleds. 

THANKS for info .. it will be good when done ..  trails are closing every where .  we had some re routes this year and even had to move our Warm up hut / relais do to trail closure.. No help at all from fcmq.  infact they were the cause of a lot of problems in our area.. Not at all sure of the direction of FCMQ.

On 8/23/2019 at 7:10 PM, 800steve said:

Great to see, we use to ride in the St Agathe area alot before the rail trail was shut down.

yeah, me too, the last season before the trail closed, i had 3500km on the odometer...LOL

On 8/23/2019 at 9:16 PM, Cnc said:

Going to be hard for snowmobile haters to shut this part down, the noise from the traffic on the 117 hwy far exceeds the noise of today’s sleds. 

Especially since most is within the boundaries of the highway itself, so its government owned....

On 8/24/2019 at 12:23 PM, grumpysanta said:

THANKS for info .. it will be good when done ..  trails are closing every where .  we had some re routes this year and even had to move our Warm up hut / relais do to trail closure.. No help at all from fcmq.  infact they were the cause of a lot of problems in our area.. Not at all sure of the direction of FCMQ.

we have an old "cabane-du-carton"  here in Lac Superieur where 4 trails used to meet up,(club here closed way back in 1980) dont know if its even standing anymore, i have not been up there in the bush for 6-7 years, i have a trouble maker neighbor that calls the Po-Po if i even start a sled....LOL

• 1 month later...

Huge work is being under-taken at the bottom of the Morrison hill, about a kilometer past my last picture, they are actually putting an entire stream under ground for approx. 500 feet, and to our count, they have already prepared for a minimum of three bridges so far, and one almost finished... So not just a bit of trimming, this turned out to be a quite expensive venture...LOL... if we had to guess, its up to $1,000,000 and counting.....J&J

• 2 weeks later...

Put your photos on a hosting site (flickr, google photos, etc) and them embed links in your post.  Works better anyway once you figure out the process. 

IMG_5950

Photo from Flickr. This site auto embedded the link when I pasted it in. 

Edited by actionjack

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/201911/07/01-5248844-nouveau-sentier-de-motoneige-pas-encore-inaugure-mais-deja-conteste.php

New snowmobile trail: not yet inaugurated, but already contested

Citizens of Mont-Tremblant and Saint-Faustin-Lac-Carré fear the effects on their quality of life of a new snowmobile trail that will pass close to their homes.

A new subsidized snowmobile trail is divisive in the Laurentians.  The track to replace the section of the P'tit Train du Nord closed in 2004 is not yet inaugurated that already, residents want to change it.

The soft snow that stifles noises?  Citizens of Mont-Tremblant and Saint-Faustin-Lac-Carré fear that the white manna will become synonymous with motor whirring.  As soon as the snow cover is sufficient, the snowmobilers will be able to jump on the path laid out a few tens of meters from their residence.
 "I'm not against a path, but not to my detriment, on my ground!  Exclaims Nadine Dumas from Saint-Faustin.
 Last August, she discovered with astonishment workers who were busy on the other side of her fence, in the right-of-way of Highway 117, which is under the jurisdiction of the Quebec Ministry of Transport (MTQ).  The cutting of the trees and the vegetation there deprived her of a screen which attenuated the noise and the sight of the traffic, she said.  Not only will snowmobilers have an unobstructed view of his home, but they will pass very close.  Between her bathroom and the path, there is less than 20 m, she estimates.

This is much less than the distance established by the historic judgment of the P'tit Train du Nord, which banned a section of this linear park to snowmobiles in 2004. Judge Helene Langlois, Superior Court, then ordered to pay  $ 1200 per winter to residents of "any part of the dwelling" within 100 m of the park right-of-way.

Nadine Dumas in the new trail that will take the snowmobiles close to his home in Saint-Faustin-Lac-Carré

"We do not want it"

This new 9 km route aims to replace the section closed 15 years ago.  Quebec financed it at a cost of $ 3 million, and gave the mandate to the Devil and Red Snowmobile Club to have the work done, so that the Laurentians, Lanaudière and Outaouais are reconnected.  But many residents of the trail complain that they have not been informed of his arrival.
 This is the case of Guy Parent of Mont-Tremblant, whose mailbox was found in the middle of the trail.  The work also brought down the post illuminating his imposing Christ on the cross.  The lighting will be replaced and the mailbox moved, he was assured.  Nevertheless, he finds it very dangerous to have to cross this two-way snowmobile trail to get out of his home.
 We will have to cross two highways, Ski-Doo and 117, where cars arrive quickly and there is a lot of traffic.

A danger also denounced by Hélène Turgeon, who lives nearby.  And she dreads the sound of snowmobiles, which will pass about forty meters from her house.  "We accepted the 117, but one more noise, we do not want it.  It is not far from 700 [snowmobiles] that will pass, "she said, referring to the closed section of the P'tit Train du Nord, where 300 to 700 snowmobiles were traveling on the weekend.  The speed limits and the ban on driving at night do not reassure her at all.  "On the roads, they do not have the right to drive at 150 or 175 km / h, but there are some who do the same," she illustrates.
 100 m, 30 m or ... 0 m?

Under the Off-Road Vehicle Act, trails created after December 31, 2011 must be at least 100 m away from homes.
 The Ministry and the Club Devil and Red consider however that it is not a new path, but a relocation, requiring only 30 m.
 The law provides that a link created after the loss of a right of way "does not constitute a new path".  However, she speaks of a path "whose path is changed in a very insignificant way".  This is not the case of this one, which replaces a section between Saint-Faustin and Labelle.
 In any case, "in a public domain right-of-way, which is the case here, the 30 m does not apply," says club president Roland Leroy.
 In fact, traffic within 30 m of a dwelling is not prohibited "on a public road or built on the domain of the State," says the law.
 Is this route acceptable?  The Minister of Transport, François Bonnardel, did not want to make a decision, directing us to his ministry.  At the end of the day yesterday, the MTQ had still not provided the requested answers two days earlier.
 Even if the displacement of an existing trail allows a separation distance of 30 m rather than 100 m, "it is certainly preferable to develop it according to the new standards where it is possible to do so", indicates also the  Guide for the development and maintenance of snowmobile trails in Quebec.
 Mobilization

In desperation, Hélène Turgeon joined Normand Lacroix, who led the collective action of P'tit Train du Nord.  He alerted the City of Mont-Tremblant, which passed a resolution calling for mitigation measures at the MTQ, such as a noise barrier.

Ms. Turgeon would prefer that the runway never be opened.  "But if you do not have a choice, you definitely want a wall," she says.
 "That they do not come to put a wall at home, I will undo it.  I'm not in Mexico with Trump, "protests Guy Parent.  His request ?  That the track is moved on the strip of land separating the two directions of the 117. "Ski-Doo passed in the middle before, it would not bother anyone," he believes.
 Nadine Dumas also does not want this track near her home.  But after weeks of unsuccessful complaints, this single mother who works to start her business at home can not take it anymore.
 Outraged to be told by the Ministry that the trail respected the limit of 30 m and, considering that it is missing more than 13 m for that it is the case, she asks for the purchase of each of these missing meters at  the value of his house, more than $ 2 million in total.
 If I had not been told a falseness on leaving, if someone had confessed something, it would not be there!

The three residents were invited to meet with their MP this Friday, and the Mayor of Mont-Tremblant has a scheduled meeting with the MTQ on Monday.
 Remember that prosecution for neighborhood inconvenience caused by snowmobiles has been prohibited since 2010. This suspension will expire on January 1, unless Quebec extends it.  "The minister has not yet announced his intentions.  We will do it in due course, "we were told in Mr. Bonnardel's office.