Jackman, ME to Saquenay

Offshore24

Anyone ever ride that route? One day or two? By car it's about 250 miles. By sled it looks like you have to go through Quebec City or take a ferry across the SLR. It's early planning but I've never been sledding in PQC and I was hoping to put together a week. I'd rather ride a long day than drive my truck.

On further inspection, looks like it's going to take a ferry ride to get across the waterway. Where's the most convenent place to catch a ferry?

Hi Offshore24,

I haven't ridden in ME but I can tell you a little about Quebec.

I would think you are entering Quebec via ITS 89 to trail 75 in Quebec. You'll go thru Armstrong, St. Georges, St. Marie and at the end of 75 you will arrive at Motel Berniers. This is a good day trip. You can stay overnight at Motel Berniers. We have stayed there many times. They are very accommodating. There is an enclosure for the machines, a fenced in area for trucks or I like to keep my machines outside my door and cable the sleds together. Ask for a first floor room if you want to do this.

From Motel Berniers you can call for the transport which is a pick-up truck pulling an enclosed trailer. It doesn't hurt to call the night you arrive to schedule for an early transport for the next morning. I'm not sure on the price but I think it was around $30 per sled last year. I've always paid cash. The phone number for the transport from a 2008 trail map is 418-831-3119. The tranport lives on the north side at Hotel Colibri. Figure on the better part of an hour to transport. The actual ride by truck is about 20 minutes each way.

From Hotel Colibri, you can jump on trail 73 to St. Raymond and then trail 23 which will bring you up to the Lac St Jean area. This can be done in a long day, 225 miles or so. If you are planning early in the season, there is a river just north of St. Raymond that doesn't freeze over early and there isn't an easy way around it. If the river is not frozen, you should figure on two days from Hotel Colibri to Lac St. Jean.

One route around the river is to go towards Quebec City on trail 3 and up thru Lac Beauport but last year trail 304 was closed because the club could not get permission from one of the land owners. This sent riders out to St. Anne de Beaupre on trail 3. Then you could take the other end of 304 to 369 and then to L'Etape where you would get trail 23 to Lac St Jean. L'Etape has gas and food but limited lodging.

The other route is to stay on 73 towards La Tuque and then work your way up to Lac St. Jean. Again you should figure on the extra day going this route.

South of the river there are plenty of gas and food stops. North of the river is good near the river and at Lac St. Jean, but between the stops are very limited.

Whatever route you decide to take, always gas up when you have the opportunity. L'Etape is the first gas stop after you leave the trails around Quebec City.

Happy riding.

You can do it in a day, but it'll be a very, very, long day. What I do is drive into Quebec and go to the snowmobile club house in Beauceville, which is the next town after St. George. As best I remember it is another hour and a half drive past Jackman. Then it is about an 8 hour trip by sled to Saguenay. After driving through St. George, it is another 8 or so miles to the club house, just stay on the main route from St. George heading to Quebec City. Turn right off the main route when you see a golf course sign. Go up the long hill and take a left at the sign to get to the golf course/sled club. I have left my truck there a couple dozen times without a problem. It is a very popular spot for Americans to park their truck for a week.

The reason I start from Canada instead of Jackman, is because if you have a sled breakdown, it is pretty easy to get back to the St. George area via wrecker, hitching a ride with someone, or by taxi.

Mike

Anyone ever ride that route? One day or two? By car it's about 250 miles. By sled it looks like you have to go through Quebec City or take a ferry across the SLR. It's early planning but I've never been sledding in PQC and I was hoping to put together a week. I'd rather ride a long day than drive my truck.

On further inspection, looks like it's going to take a ferry ride to get across the waterway. Where's the most convenent place to catch a ferry?

If I were going for a week, I'd go from Jackman to Matane, 2 days. Then cross the ferry to either Godbout or Baie Coneau, depending on what day of the week you are in Matane. 2 more days from Matane to Joquiere. Then go around Lac St Jean, 1 day and then back to Jackman, 2 days. Just an idea. If I can help you with any of this let me know.

Bill

Easy is an understatement, I made it from st george's benedict arnold to holiday inn in 8 1/2 hrs, so how far from there jackman is?

Right around an hour, depends on border crossing time, last 2 times I went through it took under 5 minutes but had a friend who was held up there for several hours this past winter.

Thanks guys. Excellent point about having wheels north of the border incase of emergency. Another 1.5 hrs isn't bad seeing as Jman is 2.5 hours from home. I definitely want to get up there. Will have to see what I can drum up for partners. I for sure have one guy who will go. If I can find 2 more we'd have a quorum.

As stated depends on boarder and shuttle time

Shuttle time is big, I have showed up and driven right onto the shuttle, and then also waited over 2 hrs, its first come frst serve, funny story I barrel rolled my sled last year trying to beat a group who i thought was headed there for the shuttle. I passed them and was pullin away when the typical quebec 90 deg turn came up and lets just say I made it almost 45 deg

Looks like I've got 4 possibles. Early, i see your posts on sledmaine. You'll be spending t-giving vacation up there. Is that a boondocking trip or trail riding?

they usually start grooming around Thanksgiving or earlier depending on the amount of snow they have gotten. Howeer there is usually so much traffic on the groomed sections that it seams like a mogul course after 10am. Plenty of boondocking but fuel is the issue.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Offshore24,

I haven't ridden in ME but I can tell you a little about Quebec.

I would think you are entering Quebec via ITS 89 to trail 75 in Quebec. You'll go thru Armstrong, St. Georges, St. Marie and at the end of 75 you will arrive at Motel Berniers. This is a good day trip. You can stay overnight at Motel Berniers. We have stayed there many times. They are very accommodating. There is an enclosure for the machines, a fenced in area for trucks or I like to keep my machines outside my door and cable the sleds together. Ask for a first floor room if you want to do this.

From Motel Berniers you can call for the transport which is a pick-up truck pulling an enclosed trailer. It doesn't hurt to call the night you arrive to schedule for an early transport for the next morning. I'm not sure on the price but I think it was around $30 per sled last year. I've always paid cash. The phone number for the transport from a 2008 trail map is 418-831-3119. The tranport lives on the north side at Hotel Colibri. Figure on the better part of an hour to transport. The actual ride by truck is about 20 minutes each way.

From Hotel Colibri, you can jump on trail 73 to St. Raymond and then trail 23 which will bring you up to the Lac St Jean area. This can be done in a long day, 225 miles or so. If you are planning early in the season, there is a river just north of St. Raymond that doesn't freeze over early and there isn't an easy way around it. If the river is not frozen, you should figure on two days from Hotel Colibri to Lac St. Jean.

One route around the river is to go towards Quebec City on trail 3 and up thru Lac Beauport but last year trail 304 was closed because the club could not get permission from one of the land owners. This sent riders out to St. Anne de Beaupre on trail 3. Then you could take the other end of 304 to 369 and then to L'Etape where you would get trail 23 to Lac St Jean. L'Etape has gas and food but limited lodging.

The other route is to stay on 73 towards La Tuque and then work your way up to Lac St. Jean. Again you should figure on the extra day going this route.

South of the river there are plenty of gas and food stops. North of the river is good near the river and at Lac St. Jean, but between the stops are very limited.

Whatever route you decide to take, always gas up when you have the opportunity. L'Etape is the first gas stop after you leave the trails around Quebec City.

Happy riding.

we trailor from maine to Mont st Anne there is a ski doo dealer across from mt,,poay $10.oo a day to leave truck one day in Herbertville gr8 place presbytyrain,,,good fondue and from there do a loop to toudasacc cross on ferry return thru Chalevroix,, best trip
Thanks guys. Excellent point about having wheels north of the border incase of emergency. Another 1.5 hrs isn't bad seeing as Jman is 2.5 hours from home. I definitely want to get up there. Will have to see what I can drum up for partners. I for sure have one guy who will go. If I can find 2 more we'd have a quorum.

got my truck and trailor with 2 new sled stolen quebec city ,,,,better off sledding

I'm not interested in leaving anything near the city. Heard too many horror stories. Rob's included.. I have an option to ride from Ft kent, ME that might come into play as well. Depends on the guy with the house in Ft Kent and his schedule.

From ft kent it's quick ride through Cabano and then up to Matane to catch the ferry but you'll need to ride 10 miles of NB or go way out of your way to go through Estcourt to do that. The area that borders maine is some of the best riding I've ever done from Jackman out to Matane. Never ridden the north shore from sacre coer to the ferry but my buddies say it's a real nice ride. Make it a big loop and come back the opposite way you head up. Quebec city to Ft Kent is a good day ride.