Temiscaming to La Verendrye Wildlife Reserve

ChrisWright

Hello all,  starting to think about 2020 saddlebag planning and wanted to see if anyone could chime in on this one for me.   I'm reviewing the interactive map and looking at a run from Temiscaming to La Verendrye Wildlife Reserve.  Trails 43 to 386 to 63.  Looks like this about 500KM and the map shows no services between the two locations.  Does anyone know whether there is any gas or lodging that exists on this run that might not be listed on the interactive map?  Thanks!

Lance's in Swisha.  It's just a gas station, but they have some cold meat sandwiches there.  You can also cross into Ontario (across a not so pleasant steel grated bridge) and there is a restaurant, motel and gas station in Rolphton.  Other than that nothing but lakes, closed camps, rocks and trees between stops.  It's great running.  All forest access roads with minimal traffic.  The run from the junction of 383 / 43 south to Lance's is a bit of a hike.  You do need to run down there though unless you are packing a lot of extra fuel. I highly recommemd the trip once trails are open.  Because of the remoteness it doesn't get first priority though early season.  Big area with few volunteers.

We were there as in pavillion La Verendrye last March and the trail going in to the lodge was terrible.  Now 63 goes through the lodges front yard and the lady I think pissed someone off because she said they just stopped grooming the trail.  Also she bitched about the groomer operator.  Plus her gas was way over 3 dollars a liter and you had to take a certain amount.  Now the 386 trail north of there was perfect as always. She said the groomer was a independent contractor.  Wasn't a very good experience after riding 3 foot mogels getting to the lodge.  Maybe the time of year. Long trails and small clubs I think. 

I've heard mixed reports on conditions in the area.  I rode in from the south last winter in February and it was in great shape.  Unfortunately was limited on time so had to turn around and head back south on 386, so no idea what the other 3 trails were like.  I think mid season it's a good bet.  Probably best to watch the grooming delay on the FCMQ interactive map before heading in there.  You can complain about gas prices, but reality is they are keeping over 80 km of road plowed to feed the place.  I get it.  The extra $30 a sled didnt break me.

28 minutes ago, Shore1066 said:

We were there as in pavillion La Verendrye last March and the trail going in to the lodge was terrible.  Now 63 goes through the lodges front yard and the lady I think pissed someone off because she said they just stopped grooming the trail.  Also she bitched about the groomer operator.  Plus her gas was way over 3 dollars a liter and you had to take a certain amount.  Now the 386 trail north of there was perfect as always. She said the groomer was a independent contractor.  Wasn't a very good experience after riding 3 foot mogels getting to the lodge.  Maybe the time of year. Long trails and small clubs I think. 

TQ 63 in both directions of the lodge?  Or just east or west?

We came down the 386 to the lodge. That trail was good until we got to 63 and then it was terrible.  I had heard 63 was  not groomed very well all year. The trail use to come from 63 to the lodge on or beside the road coming to the lodge and now it comes through the woods from the west and goes out through the woods east. The lady just said that the groomer was broken all winter.  It use to be a  great trail.