2020 Jan 31 - Feb 4 Hotel recommendations for Chibougamau & Parent

RoweBoat

3 guys planning a 5 day trip from Jan 31- Feb 4. Looking for hotel recommendations for Chibougamau & Parent.
Also if you have any feedback the trip plan below. Thanks in advance for the help.

image.png.7f9063865cfa91275b76975f64e05609.png

Edited by RoweBoat

Just my .02 cents

in Parent (3/4 of a mile from the gas station/store) is Hombre du Vent. They have 4 very modern 2 story chalets that will sleep 4 guys

internet, satellite TV, phone and full kitchenette should you want to get something from the store and cook

sled parked right in front of door, private setting and cleaner than grandmas house

owner André has huge workshop 1/4 mile away and will get you out of a jam if need be. Last year one of our crew sheared the fitting/hose off the air shock (long story) . Not a pleasant ride when your suspension is flat. Andre said take it to my shop and I’ll have one of my guys look at it in the morning. After breakfast we walked up to the shop and it was already repaired. Charge.....$40 bucks..LOL

82718138-06A3-408A-BDFA-E2A01986A4A9.jpeg

Not in Chibougamau but about 10 miles away in Chapais (93 trail runs right by hotel & gas station) is Hotel Opemiska

Isabelle is a great host and speaks better English than I do. Ask for the full apartment downstairs with 3 separate bedrooms, large living room/kitchenette. TV and internet of course. 

E82563D4-9A5A-4F35-BA85-2D9F2ECEE1C1.jpeg

This is a funny story about staying in  Parent.  Last January a young lad and I decided to ride to gouin Reservoir from Mont laurie.  Well first the sled would not start from the cold weather.  New battery fixed that. Very cold that day. As the day went by it got colder and riding was slower.  Well we got Parent as the darkness was taking over. Before we even got gas I made the decision this is as far as we had better go. Went in to pay for our gas and I asked the lady how cold it was and how to get to the hotel.  Her response was great. She said the report in the last hour was wind chill was 55 below.  Then she looked at me and said and there is         no f ing wind. Then she handed me a set of keys for a little motel room about 2 blocks away.  The next morning she charged us , I think less than it cost to heat the room. If I ever stay in Parent I will be staying at her little motel.  

Back in 2010 we woke up to pouring rain in 100 Lacs.  Our next stop was Roberval.  During breakfast the consensus was to stay put for the day.  We asked, and were told that there was a group coming in that afternoon but they may not come due to the rain.  We could stay if they didn’t come.  Well back to our nice, dry, warm, comfortable cabin we went prepared to spend the day.  About two hours later we get a knock at the door...you have to leave, the group is on their way.  Plan B was already decided, off to Hotel Central.  As we were coming into Parent, I saw a sign for Hombre du Vent and I remembered from about 3 years earlier a guy telling me about his buddy owning them.  I tell the gang,  let’s go take a look.  We pull into their office/shop, and we are soaked.  The owner and his wife get us two cabins and tells us to pull our sleds into the shop while he strings up a couple clothes lines to hang our gear to dry out.  This is great, but we have to get to the cabins and into town to eat.  He says, no problem and gives us the keys to a minivan.  Next day we go back to his shop where he had to have the temperature in the place at least 80 degrees.  Sleds and suits all dried out.  Great people, great hospitality! I heartily agree with this recommendation.  
The other recommendation that was good is to not go into Parent but to take 13 when you get to the junction and go to Fer a Cheval.  Another good place.  Another thought is 100 Lacs by jumping on 33 a couple miles before Fer a Cheval.

As far as Chibougamau,  Nordic is where we stay these days.  You can’t get dinner there (continental breakfast in the morning)so we make that a get beer at the store and pizza delivered to the room night.  There is a place about 7-8 miles south of Chibougamau, right on 93 that looks interesting.  CENTRE DE VILLÉGIATURE MARINE CHIBOUGAMAU.  We stayed there a couple of times under the former owner, JC Bou.  It’s under new ownership now and it looks like they added a new lodge.  Perhaps someone on here has stayed and can comment.  Next time we’re up that way, we’ll probably give it a try.

Hope this helps some along with all the other replies.  One thing for certain, your group will enjoy.

Continental breakfast...a good friend of mine calls that a bird breakfast...The night before we took a cab to the Royal, it was worth getting back out for.  The garage is handy.  I seem to recall my stomach grumbling the whole way down the tracks to LSQ the next morning.  Pizza place was closed, damn, off to Senneterre, by the time I got there I think I would have eaten shit on a stick.  Maybe that's why the flank steak was so special at Faillon that night.  One a side note, I beleive the ballet is across the road from the Nordic.  We did not go inside so I can't comment on the caliber of the establishment.  

Andre and Genevieve are really something at Ombre du Vent in Parent.  As indicated in previous replies, they go the distance for sure.  Breakfast at the Central with everybody else in town in the morning.  I usually get them to deliver food the night before, trick is to indicate the tip will be large.  Be careful if the dishwasher lady delivers it though, she's a pretty wild driver. 

We stayed at motel Chibougamau. It's in the center of town, the trail kinda circles the town. Nice place, can walk to everything. Certainly an interesting town to say the least! We stayed there planning to see what the trail to Misstissini looked like which was a single track North.

Agree with Jackstraw, Motel Chibougamau for sure.   Downtown has a lot of flavor and is interesting to say the least. Like a last outpost before heading to the unknown.  Nice little downtown with all kinds of businesses, etc.   You will have some great stories to tell friends after staying there on a Friday or Saturday night.

mike

Nordic we stayed at, it was nice.  if you stay there pay to have your sled put in there garage.  we almost had one stolen from there last February 2019.  30 minuets after   we got there  had a person looking our sleds over. we walked out to see what he was doing and the guy got into a car and left and then he got on his phone.  went back inside and paid to have sleds park in there garage.   Sleds had good sleep with music they play in there lol  

Dinner that night we walked up the street to restaurant/truck stop and the food was not to bad.  

Parent  stayed at hotel central above bar for $25.  never again.The food was good though. next night stayed down road at four seasons  and that was a lot better.  

Edited by DareDog

Wanna nice place to stay in the area of Chibougamau, not in town but on one of the lakes. There’s no night life like at Hotel Chibougamau but if peace and tranquility is what your looking for with a bit of off trail to get to it then I would highly recommend La Domaine de la Mine d’Or. It’s a B&B but if announced a head of time you want supper they’ll cook it up for you but must be announced prior to arrival.

https://www.google.ca/travel/hotels/le domaine de la mine d'or chibougamau/entity/CgsIuffA3IW-24vAARAB?g2lb=2502405%2C2502548%2C4208993%2C4254308%2C4258168%2C4260007%2C4274032%2C4276710%2C4288513%2C4289525%2C4296668%2C4299259%2C4301054%2C4302814%2C4305595%2C4308216%2C4315873%2C4317816%2C4317915%2C4324289%2C4329288%2C4329496%2C4330862%2C4270859%2C4284970%2C4292955%2C4316256&hl=en&gl=ca&un=1&q=le domaine de la mine d'or chibougamau&rp=ELn3wNyFvtuLwAE4AkAASAE&ictx=1&ved=2ahUKEwjm5cKKyPLlAhXwmuAKHdpvDBQQ65QEKAB6BAgNEAM&hrf=KhYKBwjjDxALGBgSBwjjDxALGBkYASgA&tcfs=EhoaGAoKMjAxOS0xMS0yNBIKMjAxOS0xMS0yNVIA

I was their first snowmobile customer back in the early 2000’s. Johnny is a retired SQ officer who offers guided off trail excursions from his place up to Radisson, his wife prepares theee best breakfast ever.

On 11/16/2019 at 7:50 AM, Jackstraw said:

We stayed at motel Chibougamau. It's in the center of town, the trail kinda circles the town. Nice place, can walk to everything. Certainly an interesting town to say the least! We stayed there planning to see what the trail to Misstissini looked like which was a single track North.

Jack, did you ever get to Mistissinni ?  Me and a buddy made it once back in 2007 or 2008 ? Tried again last year at the end of December and the trail was closed due to logging somewhere. I do not know if it ever opened up at all last year or not. I plan on calling some contacts up there soon to see if it will be open this season or not. 

DSCF1863.JPG