Air medic

Bluegrass

31 minutes ago, MrGutz said:

Here you go:

https://www.airmedic.net/home

Later

GutZ

Thank you Gutz, this is probably one of the most important post on the whole forum, I never realized how affordable this coverage was. I always contact my health insurer in advance of leaving the country and have often bought a travel insurance policy when flying, but never realized how available and affordable this was. It really is a no-brainer, you get hurt 100 miles out in the woods, this will save your life. I am sure lots of people will benefit from this post .Many Thanks, Bob.

Something of thought, and I may be wrong. You get hurt badly out in the bush, I am guessing you will still have to wait hours for an EMT or police  to arrive  to evaluate you before they (police or EMTs) call for an air medic.  (Remember first responders will have to drive somewhere to pick up a snowmobile on a trailer, then drive to a spot to unload).  EMT's will still need to transport you to a place where the air med can land. And the first responders have to find a safe place for the air med to land, and if none, need to transport you to a safe place which could be a long way.  And night time throws in more time delaying variables. It would be worth finding out if the air medic would come based on the word of one of your riding buddies describing your injuries.

mike

Another point to consider while on the subject of medical care:

1). If you are a US citizen covered by Medicare, your coverage may or may not cover you when traveling outside the US so check!

2). Some of the US healthcare policies may or may not provide coverage when traveling outside the US so you may want to check on supplemental travel coverage.

Very good point about medical care outside US. I am pretty sure my Medicare Advantage plan does not cover me while in Canada, I do need to check further.

Any idea the cost of supplemental health/travel insurance per week?

mike

Thanks  vt_blu.           I  have been checking around on this a bit this fall after finding I was probably not covered in Canada. I still need to call my Advantage plan but reading all the literature, I think I already know the answer. Checking on line policies for medical travel Ins. is confusing due to all the precondition rules. I may first try stopping in at a local insurance agent first to see if they can help. Part of the problem is I am retired and head north on a whim, with no definite date of returning. Thus my travel dates are unpredictable.

2 hours ago, 800steve said:

I sure hope the Ins. co. doesnt read this website, your rates will likely go way up.😂

Equipment Insurance is through the roof with these 2!!!

We can't even get "Damage Wavier" on rentals!!!!

Later

GutZ

• 3 years later...

https://www.airmedic.net/communique/Airmedicrestesousproprietequebecoise

Airmedic remains under Quebec ownership

https://www.airmedic.net/adherer/saisonniere/0/1

Edited by nyskidooerinnewhampshire

On 12/15/2019 at 12:24 PM, mikerider said:

Something of thought, and I may be wrong. You get hurt badly out in the bush, I am guessing you will still have to wait hours for an EMT or police  to arrive  to evaluate you before they (police or EMTs) call for an air medic.  (Remember first responders will have to drive somewhere to pick up a snowmobile on a trailer, then drive to a spot to unload).  EMT's will still need to transport you to a place where the air med can land. And the first responders have to find a safe place for the air med to land, and if none, need to transport you to a safe place which could be a long way.  And night time throws in more time delaying variables. It would be worth finding out if the air medic would come based on the word of one of your riding buddies describing your injuries.

mike

No one mentioned that weather from a flying perspective may be an issue. Might be fine where you are but maybe not where they fly out of in Saint Hubert (according to their website).

I'm not sure how many of you remember this.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/glenn-dumont-quebec-snowmobile-death-1.3493393

I would be planing on getting the patient to a road.   

In the Event of and accident,  

• Work to stabilize the patient
  • Make an emergency call and report your location...   (GPS)
  • Determine the location of the closest road
  • Detemine if the Patient can be moved.
  • Come up with a plan to get that Patient out of the woods to the road. 

I'm not sure if Policy has changed since this incident.

4 hours ago, markusvt said:

I've seen it not work, twice.  Sorry they won't be getting money...........  You should plan on getting yourself out.

Totally agree. I do believe in some type of satellite coms. (Sat phone or device for satellite text)

• 2 weeks later...

So whats the deal if you aren't subscribed / insured with airmedic?  They still come and you get a 4 or 5 figure bill for the airlift afterwards?  Or will they deny you a flight?

Completely agree getting the patient to a road or landing area is the big challenge.  Witnessed an incident near home.  Injured party was maybe 2 miles from the nearest road / town.  Relatively good place in comparison to some of the remote places we get riding.  Was a 3 hour process to get medics in, victim stabilized and transported out to the air ambulance on the back of a side by side on a backboard.  Medics wouldn't ride in behind me on my sled with 2 up seat.  Had to wait for volunteer fire department to give them a ride in.  Once in the air ambulance he was at the hospital 200 km away in under an hour.  Was a big eye opener on what the extraction process can be.  Sold me on a tek vest that day.

New owners this year and it looks like there will be more service and the same price. As well if you have CAA or the American equivalent you get a better price. 🥳