Place to stay around 386 and 63

Rtbo

My understanding is these guys are the only place for many miles in any given direction.

https://www.pourvoirielaverendrye.com/english

I heard a rumor that the accommodations were going to be shut down this winter though.  Just selling gas and food.

Would love to be corrected on either comment, but that's what I know.

3 hours ago, Signfan said:

I heard a rumor that the accommodations were going to be shut down this winter though.  Just selling gas and food.

It's not a rumor...it is the truth. No lodging at the Pavillon la vérendrye. Only gas and food. 

There was an french article by CBC radio a few weeks back ( can't find it  - came from Temiscaming FB page I think ) where some quebec tourism person was quoted as saying there are many options to stay around the La Verendrye park.   Will have to ask them... as none of us know of any winter options!  

Looks like Trout Lk Lodge is also closed for the winter now as well. 

This is a horrible loss as this area has great snow.   I would have hoped for the opposite where the QC tourism supplements the seasonal workers wage to entice employment in the remote area.  This is based the rumour that lack of workers is the reason for not offering overnight accommodations. 

Pretty much takes 63 West of 386 out of play for many saddlebaggers.  Long ride to Belleterre or Ville Marie from Maniwaki or Mont Laurier.  We rerouted up to Val d Or when we found out that Truite Lac Lodge wasn’t going to be open.  

1 hour ago, largedaryl said:

There was an french article by CBC radio a few weeks back ( can't find it  - came from Temiscaming FB page I think ) where some quebec tourism person was quoted as saying there are many options to stay around the La Verendrye park.   Will have to ask them... as none of us know of any winter options!  

Looks like Trout Lk Lodge is also closed for the winter now as well. 

This is a horrible loss as this area has great snow.   I would have hoped for the opposite where the QC tourism supplements the seasonal workers wage to entice employment in the remote area.  This is based the rumour that lack of workers is the reason for not offering overnight accommodations. 

Lack of workers is probably not a rumour but a reality. Tremblant area was suffering the same fate all this past summer and many establishments were having trouble finding workers. It got so bad the local Mac Donald’s cut their opening hours several times due to lack of staff. My neighbour who works at a hotel chain in Tremblant village said they were paying $21 and Change for basic kitchen help to attract workers and a friend of mine with a very nice summer restaurant lost his head chief and ended up closed for the season because he could not find a suitable replacement. 

Thx for the info CNC and midrange.   The grooming history shows Val'Dor already did a first pass on the 386 heading to La Verendrye ( but trail is still marked as closed ).  That is well ahead of some years. 

I had bad luck(not smooth) with the 386 last year south of the pavilion.  Maybe the lack of over-nighters will lighten the load on the trail, assuming the same frequency of grooming. It is a tough go to groom being 100 miles each way  out of Swisha. 

1 hour ago, largedaryl said:

Thx for the info CNC and midrange.   The grooming history shows Val'Dor already did a first pass on the 386 heading to La Verendrye ( but trail is still marked as closed ).  That is well ahead of some years. 

I had bad luck(not smooth) with the 386 last year south of the pavilion.  Maybe the lack of over-nighters will lighten the load on the trail, assuming the same frequency of grooming. It is a tough go to groom being 100 miles each way  out of Swisha. 

I only rode it once, but it was exceptional when I was over it.  Guess it's hit and miss.

Val-D'or has/had a groomer based in Le Domaine.  With the buildings there torn down this fall.. not sure the 2020 plan? 

For the south 386 ... there is groomer based in Swisha.  386 north groomer seems to come from Val-D'or area

Nothing based @ the Pavilion in the past.. but would be great/central if there was ... with keen operators of course to keep it on the snow! 

Yes, the 386 is awesome when smooth.. hence so frustrating when rough and the groomers are parked/broken/etc.  Grooming stopped last year before the snow even began to melt, which again was not ideal, but with few club members in a remote area that is all we can expect I guess. 

Rebuild Joncas!!!!!

First place I stayed at on my first sled trip to Quebec.  So I have great memories of that area.  Sucks places are closing down or not offering lodging.  Is there anyplace open that can be reached from Manawaki?  If I remember correctly Trout was around 270 miles.  Thats about the limit for us on the first day out.

Hi Jack!

8 hours ago, Sled Dog said:

Is there anyplace open that can be reached from Manawaki?  If I remember correctly Trout was around 270 miles.  Thats about the limit for us on the first day out.

Hi Jack!

Not much options Rich.......Motel Royal(The truck stop) in Louvicourt. Very Basic rooms. Have stayed there a couple of times. Or Val d'Or which is about + - 260 miles. Hope to see you this winter in Maniwaki. We have about 5 inches on the ground. Yikes!!!  more to the northwest.

21 hours ago, largedaryl said:

Val-D'or has/had a groomer based in Le Domaine.  With the buildings there torn down this fall.. not sure the 2020 plan? 

For the south 386 ... there is groomer based in Swisha.  386 north groomer seems to come from Val-D'or area

Nothing based @ the Pavilion in the past.. but would be great/central if there was ... with keen operators of course to keep it on the snow! 

Yes, the 386 is awesome when smooth.. hence so frustrating when rough and the groomers are parked/broken/etc.  Grooming stopped last year before the snow even began to melt, which again was not ideal, but with few club members in a remote area that is all we can expect I guess. 

I was through Le Domaine on Sunday and the only thing “tore down” is the cafeteria bldg. and they are not even through with that. The gas station will be staying open and the bunk house and other buildings are still housing workers but not available to snowmobilers anymore unfortunately:( 

TONS of snow around there right now (especially since Saturday’s storm) and absolutely ZERO activity or tracks

I missed that...So the cafeteria style restaurant in Le Domaine is closed?  Being torn down?  So only fuel is available, no food?

That was always our lunch spot!

As of Sunday morning this was the only thing that was left of the cafeteria. The cabins on the hill directly across from the gas station were tore down about 3 years ago. We stayed in them a few times over the years. We stayed in the “two story bunk house” across from the cafeteria last year and left our rig there for a week.. The bottom floor were for the workers and the top was open to whomever else. I’m gonna miss that place. Had a lot of meals and “warm ups” in that cafeteria over the years. Also left the trucks there a half dozen times and NEVER had an issue. 

4649A299-0818-433E-ACA4-78B43C87F815.jpeg

84CBEB6D-B6DD-48A5-9586-3C1B7A00C3E8.jpeg

On 12/19/2019 at 6:22 AM, Mid Range said:

It will be rebuilt and relocated next to highway 117. It has been in the works for quite awhile but nothing is happening. Tearing it down is a good start I guess.

But wouldn't it have made more sense to build the new one first then tear the old one down?

On 12/16/2019 at 9:59 AM, Mid Range said:

One good news(If I can say). Val d'Or SC will reopen that 9-10 km stretch which is the original route of TQ 63. 

Capture.JPG

78377284_900718510326115_9209219518319034368_n.jpg

How many K do you think from La Domaine to Bell.when you bypass Laverd.

16 hours ago, viper2 said:

But wouldn't it have made more sense to build the new one first then tear the old one down?

I agree.

55 minutes ago, William Gaf Gaffney said:

How many K do you think from La Domaine to Bell.when you bypass Laverd.

according to FCMQ interactive map. +- 260 kms