Northern smack down 2019

snowmaster2112

I tell them........”they no listen”.......

two years in a row with even more snow this year and more miles of consecutive groomed trail.

last year we had to start in Le-bel-sur but this year it started at the Timblemont 80 miles south of there.

Unfortunatley I’m solo again this trip as my buds can’t start till after the first of the year.

comsecutive pics to follow of my 225 mile (on the nose) day.

why no Iceman sticker here ???

5CD2063F-6DE2-4254-AE3D-6BBD6E6B0157.jpeg

Since the moment I left the Auberge Timblemont (SUPERB) this morning at 9:30 to Hotel Opemiska in Chapais I have NOT SEEN ONE SLED in 225 miles. Not in Senneterre topping off, not in Le- bel-Sur, not in Desmairsville ......not ANYWHERE!!!!!

here coming in towards Le bel-Sur

3A310FA9-AD5D-4F3A-8D85-E2D8C231B18A.jpeg

I see the groomer headed north from the gas station (view from my hotel window) in Chapais here heading to Chibougamau 

im guessing in the morning it will still be “track free” and I am going to blast to Chibig and then 60 miles north to Mistissini where they just groomed the trail on Christmas Day for the second time this year 

now........sleepy ........sleep

oh....BTW.....if your wondering what hard saddlebags might look like after a 200+ hi speed day....here you go.....

D1630258-BA42-4E5B-B5BF-838944548B20.jpeg

43 minutes ago, snowmaster2112 said:

I see the groomer headed north from the gas station (view from my hotel window) in Chapais here heading to Chibougamau 

im guessing in the morning it will still be “track free” and I am going to blast to Chibig and then 60 miles north to Mistissini where they just groomed the trail on Christmas Day for the second time this year 

now........sleepy ........sleep

oh....BTW.....if your wondering what hard saddlebags might look like after a 200+ hi speed day....here you go.....

D1630258-BA42-4E5B-B5BF-838944548B20.jpeg

Keep your bags on top, side saddle bags will have to sit in the tub overnight.

1 hour ago, snowmaster2112 said:

why no Iceman sticker here ???

Surely there was one at least, I put it there myself. I think it was inside. Or it was anyway. We got lots of em. I’ll be back. 

Nice run you got going. 

You carry a satellite phone? Just curious as riding alone in da bush like that,  it’s surely a good idea to have one. Especially with not much other traffic. 

Enjoy. 

The Mistassini run is awesome done it twice. If they haven’t changed it, then the first 20km or so is just ok, but the payoff is the rest of it is on the summer road big and fast up to just outside town on the other side of the Lac. 

6 hours ago, Trailblazer said:

Keep your bags on top, side saddle bags will have to sit in the tub overnight.

I carry a 2lb rubber mallet (should come as standard issue on the 1200) to bang the sides of the running boards and rear bumper  to drop all the ice from underneath. Right after I took this picture I was using it as usual and tapped it on the side bags lightly and with finesse and 90% came right off. Yesterday was the first time I used them and had real world experience. When I unloaded at the hotel last night I just left them on. 

7 hours ago, iceman said:

Surely there was one at least, I put it there myself. I think it was inside. Or it was anyway. We got lots of em. I’ll be back. 

Nice run you got going. 

You carry a satellite phone? Just curious as riding alone in da bush like that,  it’s surely a good idea to have one. Especially with not much other traffic. 

Enjoy. 

The Mistassini run is awesome done it twice. If they haven’t changed it, then the first 20km or so is just ok, but the payoff is the rest of it is on the summer road big and fast up to just outside town on the other side of the Lac. 

I did three double takes just to make sure. Someone must of hijacked it. Did see one on the gas tank at Desmairsville though.

no on the sat phone thing and  no on the Spot X (which I was gonna get and still haven’t).i used to do some serious solo runs many years ago up,here but haven’t been by myself in many years now. For the first time I have off all winter so the opportunity is there when your normal partners can’t make it yet. I might pay for it someday by spending a miserable night out in the bush but it ain’t happened yet. Another thing i have noticed up here (just like everywhere else) is the cell phone coverage keeps getting better and better. Case in point....yesterday from Le-bel-Sur to Desmairs there was at least 3-4 signs (not there last year) on the trail that said “cellular reception “

now the coverage may or may not have actually gotten better but the clubs (kudos to them) took the time to tell you if you stand on top of your snowmobile seat right here and lift one leg in the air you can probably get a call out.....LOL

hope to meet you in person someday Ice. Can’t believe (just like that Jim Jamison guy) our paths have never crossed

i only made it to Mistissini once about 12 years ago (last year had the time and in Chibig) but trail was closed due to logging. Really looking forward to going there again.

Edited by snowmaster2112

Tabernack....it never stops snowing up here (being facious not actually complaining) 

this is what I’m looking at this a.m. I would say a solid 3 inches 

have the entire 3rd floor of the Opemiska (and kitchen area) to myself. Also watching local Rochester (my home area) channel back home on the TV. which is super cool. Only difference is it’s gonna be 55F back home today....LOL

A090196E-F8ED-41B9-8208-7E8E33AA1AB4.jpeg