Northern smack down 2019

snowmaster2112

I just don't recall anyone ever posting pics in the past on QuebecRider of Mistissini, or the sled trail to Mistissini,  but I could be wrong. I always enjoy reading about these remote spots and seeing pictures. Maybe while there today you need to take a scenic ski plane ride over the area. 

Really enjoying your posts!

mike

6 minutes ago, Yeti62 said:

Hey Snowmaster great report any intel on trail open all the way to La Dore’? Thanks Yeti

Spoke to the groomer guy in Chibougamau about that yesterday 

here is the scoop........

i guess you can ride up,from LSJ to the Scerie54 but not the rest of the way north

he said they have a deal with some people hunting the area and don’t open the trail till after January 6th I believe 

12 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

Rode back to Chibougamau and chuckled at my track in the other direction 

it’s a rare opportunity (especially on hi speed trail like this):to be able to see and analyze your own track and riding style and how you reacted at certain corners for such a long distance. I’m pleased to announce the vast majority of the time I was dead locked right side and hardly ever did my ski overlap with the previous direction. And it was far from all straight like this pick. I was only taking breaks/pictures on the straights 

AD53C80E-EEEF-4614-B903-CE0F10E13DFE.jpeg

You only stop on straight aways?? I love the guys who do it on corners, not#$%&*^%

4 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

Here’s one for all you “thrill seekers” .....tell your wives they still have time to enter.

Isabelle from the Hotel Opemiska here in Chapais is joining her best friend (also from Chapais) to go enter a 10 day 2500km desert race in the Sahara desert in Morocco. It is not a who’s the fastest but who gets to the end by the shortest passage. They are allowed NO gps of anykind. It cost 25,000 to enter this two women only per team (I think 118 teams). It costs another 25000 in expenses like getting there and renting a special Jeep.They have been doing fund raisers for 2 years and have reached their goal with much of the support coming from the local Chapais community. She said it’s really hot over there in the day and really cold at night. Her biggest concern is they have to wear a helmet at all times.

i wish her well and will be following the race along on the internet come March

81DEA3F5-9111-4A39-A5E5-B320C1F719B0.jpeg

I Remember Carol from the Tamarac in Clova told us she did that race years ago. Incredible journey for sure. Great report Snowmaster!

3 hours ago, Snobeeler said:

I Remember Carol from the Tamarac in Clova told us she did that race years ago. Incredible journey for sure. Great report Snowmaster!

The report is about to......get even better.....today (so far) might just be one of the most interesting snowmobile days I have ever had

I left Chapais much earlier this morning at exactly 7 a.m. (still dark) got to Chibougamau area and decided to loop around the long trail that loops around the west side of town. At exactly 8:29 this happened. Now I knew I was only a couple miles from the middle of town and it’s a Saturday so shouldn’t be much of a problem. I’m fully blaming this on fellow QR member doo4adoo as he told me yesterday to “stay right” so surely it’s all his fault. At exactly 8:31 I’m standing on the trail (helmet and jacket off lighting a smoke) thinking how could you possibly have done this and what a PITA (and time consuming) getting this boat anchor back on the trail is gonna be.

422EC0C5-9141-4EF6-AABF-1DB44DB494CC.jpeg

At exactly 8:32 just before I’m ready to start digging in this local guy “Eric” (I now refer to him as the Lord Savioir Jesus Christ) comes around the corner. At 8:39 she was back on the trail and Eric with his 165 Liter storage box (also has another 25 liter one) was gone. 

9EE20DFE-B4B4-4040-BDBD-808871E984C2.jpeg

Edited by snowmaster2112
Typo

So I go to the depannaneur to top off and start heading north again towards Mistissini. Wondering if the trail will have any use since I was on it yesterday. Surely some local Chibougamau riders were out last night as I saw a bunch of them gearing up as I was passing thru town last evening. So after I get off the local trail to where this particular trail heads north........this is what I see.......

0FB07E61-F30E-4C3C-9DB8-33593A37E4FD.jpeg

Now......I was the only track on this trail going up yesterday and back. I probably was in Chibougamau right around full dark time (5 o’clock ish or earlier) Not only did no locals decide to take a ride on this trail but it snowed another couple 3 inches since I came off it late yesterday afternoon 

here is a part where you can see my tracks from yesterday but most (90%) I couldn’t even see them.

0BA24943-7A94-42DA-A25D-2576B681812A.jpeg

I get into Mistissini after another epic trail thrashing much earlier than yesterday. At the depanneur I’m talking to the guy inside about how I have more time to spend here today and would love to learn more about the community (about 4000 people) and he says..... see that tent type building pointing out the window. “That’s a little community gathering place and they are having a get together over there preparing Native food. Told me to go over and not be shy. Well......anyone who knows me knows I’m far from shy....LOL

so I spent about 1.5 hrs talking with the only 3 people in there at the time. Kenny (last name Loon), his wife and another friendly guy “Charlie” 

they are preparing the food for this evenings gathering. And what’s on the menu you ask.........

beaver, bear & moose with a couple little salad thingies

they have invited me to stay for dinner. Here Kenny and I holding up the beaver that is cooking beside a wood stove that is hotter than the “Hubs of hell”

9CA6EBA9-1B7A-4F6B-AC04-2882F3022931.jpeg

I’ve been over at the beautiful Auberge Mistissinni again for about an hour getting domesticated with internet access and only HALF a club sandwich as I have to go back and try moose, bear & beaver for the first time. Kenny tells me it’s amlomg standing native tradition that when the eat these 3 particular animals the women eat all the meat that came from the waist of the animal down and the men eat waist up to and including the head.

hmmmmm.....I’m thinking there is lots more I’m gonna learn in the next few hours.....

FB2C35B9-D87D-436A-B4F7-8742DC69E2D1.jpeg

So.......I gotta go eat some beaver......

stay tuned later as there is bound to be some more crazy s*&t in my day as it’s not even dark yet

i leave you with a picture of Kenny showing me the bear and moose meat cooking away

D343B68C-A699-41B8-83BE-29D38E46EA69.jpeg

Snowmaster,  You must speak French or the entire province learned English since I was there last season!  You seem to be accepted as a local everywhere you go up there. And now you are going to eat their local critters! Next thing we know you'll be marrying one of their sisters and living there.

mike

19 minutes ago, snowmaster2112 said:

So.......I gotta go eat some beaver......

stay tuned later as there is bound to be some more crazy s*&t in my day as it’s not even dark yet

i leave you with a picture of Kenny showing me the bear and moose meat cooking away

D343B68C-A699-41B8-83BE-29D38E46EA69.jpeg

So you rode to the north Pole for some Beaver,....???? And I thought you like riding.

56 minutes ago, snowmaster2112 said:

View from them room

4E79233D-C8A7-410D-935D-8739579CFE2C.jpeg

What an outstanding report you do, you definitely have a knack for It. I will definitely be staying there this year, wanted to the last couple years but it was closed great to see it open again!

Just magic in Mistassini. Trail is a great one and you have been lucky enough to experience a whole lot more. There is Nothing like getting to know all you can about these places we usually pass right through or just spend a night then move on.

very cool. 

Auberge looks sweet, we almost stayed there a couple years back but did not. 

We shall return.