Northern smack down 2019

snowmaster2112

Ok......so yesterday’s epic ness started out like this. I’m having breakfast (15 ft away from my room door) in the common kitchen area here at the Hotel Opemiska. There is a guy in there that is staying here in the lower level apartment type rooms with his wife. His name is David and his wife Janell. He is from Chapais but moved to Ontario years ago for mine work. They know Isabelle and Pierce-Luc that own the hotel here. After chatting a bit he tells me that he, his wife , Piere-Luc and another friend David are all going out in the bush to this guys camp about 20 miles away. 

Well.....guess who is going with them.............

Here we are getting ready. The second “David” has a 6 yr old son and black lab that get towed along in the caboose.

57614116-6327-45CC-8C68-D22B36B0E6D9.jpeg

Now......these guys (including Janell) all,have summit type mountain sleds which suits them for the riding they do. I however have a boat anchor type machine for this type of riding. The snow up here on the unplowed/ungroomed areas is DEEP DEEP DEEP

i didn’t get a lot of trail pics because I was basically holding on for dear life and concentrating with max intensity utilizing every last skill I have obtained over the years. Now I’m in the back of this caravan and we are cutting down logging roads, cutting through virgin fields and even going directly into the bush itself. About the first 5 miles I’m starting to think maybe this was such a good idea and my adrenaline is racing big time. But we stopped for a break and things got much better after that. 

Here is David and Pierre-Luc who are both consummate riders pulling out one of their machines. It was awesome to be in the back and watch these guys carve into and up the hillsides and scrub bush. 1000% completely different riding than what I have been doing all my life.

6F1269D2-F05C-48CA-BC52-407A7F5A7D54.jpeg

Ok....you really didn’t think I was going to make it to the camp without getting stuck did you ??

this is literally 1 km away from the cabin....TABERNACK....almost made it. 

AND.......got stuck TWICE no less within 30 ft

1702216D-A3C2-47C0-8DFC-D3D8A3518EB8.jpeg

So in summary we only road about 45 miles yesterday but it was 45 I will never forget till the day I die.

i had a BLAST and these particular Québécois are some of the finest you could ever meet. The whole experience was icing on the cake to all the epic ness I have had in the last 4 days. We all went to the Chapais clubhouse from the camp and had some fine Canadian cuisine.

getting a late start today again (these reporting/posting duties sure take up a lot of valuable riding time) ...LOL

im thinking I’m going to Mistissini again today. Why not? It will be my 3rd (140-150 mile round trip) up there. I might go play some hockey in the streets with the kids. 

Staying at the Opemiska one last night tonight as this shit storm passes the lower areas of Quebec. Tomorrow heading out EARLY and blasting 225 miles back to Auberge Timblemont. Should have some nice “cream cheese “ on top for the ride back.

Ok so.....today’s adventures involve (again...I Just CANT get enough) of the Chapais to Mistissinni run which is about 140-150 mile round trip. Today while much colder than (still my favorite temps) other previous days the beautiful sunshine was out. That and the recent weekend local trail traffic actually made riding even nicer. I snuck up to the place I was the other night before Chibougamau and caught some beautiful daytime pictures. Not a soul there now and the other night were literally a couple hundred people.

827CC19E-BB0F-4DD2-9FBC-10AE529A5E89.jpeg

The ride up to Mistissinni (now my 3rd run) was definitely the best of the three. First blue sky and whatever minimal traffic has been on this trail since I was on it two days ago has actually made it so I could lay an extra little amount or “ smack” down.

60D97CF4-9BEA-4437-9AA7-60EFAB60ADEE.jpeg

18 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

They had playground areas for the kids and people were doing what most Quebecers do in the winter.....embrace it

3DE60439-F0FA-4765-8B5A-EE262FDDF089.jpeg

:drinks:

Whereas in southern Ontario they just gripe about it...

Great travelogue. Rode thru the Amos area about 10 years ago.