Northern smack down 2019

snowmaster2112

Back to Matagami with Kenny eating the Moose they got last trip and washing it down with the Budweiser. 

That’s my guess. 

Or since you did not make it to Lebel, you found more new friends and ended up in Waswanipi for a New Years extravaganza.

1 hour ago, iceman said:

Back to Matagami with Kenny eating the Moose they got last trip and washing it down with the Budweiser. 

That’s my guess. 

Or since you did not make it to Lebel, you found more new friends and ended up in Waswanipi for a New Years extravaganza.

Ice is red hot on portions of this but wrong location 

i would have had to back track to Waswanapi and I did not. Matagami was way too far and not in the geographical footprint of this trip

12 minutes ago, snowmaster2112 said:

Matagami was way too far and not in the geographical footprint of this trip

The road to Matagami from Lebel is much shorter than the trail. Right Snohorse?

“Take the road” 

o.k. fellow trail thrashers .....here goes........

As I was previously reporting I left the Hotel Opemiska in Chapais tuesday morning the 31st with a destination of the "truck"  back at Auberge Timblemont some 200+ miles away.

Monday night in Chapais was not the most pretty weather and I'm glad I threw the guy at the gas station a "20" for letting me keep my sled in there overnight. 

Here the vacant clubhouse outside of Chapais....

IMG_0641.JPG

75 miles (virgin) into see Nancy at Desmairsville. Here my track going in and coming out. Somehow by boots got soaked during this run. The Enduro 1200 while a superb machine for what I do most of the time sits too low. Snow was pushing up through the holes in the running board and filling everything up. Oh well...tough to have these problems eh ?

So i'm at the store for probably 1.5 hrs. Eating a sandwhich and some chaud chocalate, drying my crap out with a hair dryer in Nancy's back room and chatting with all the locals (99% natives from Waswanapi) and having a good time with the three bulldogs. Now it's New Years eve day and just like everywhere the locals were in buying the essentials.....BEER !!!

I swear to God the Natives were coming in and out getting 60 packs of Budweiser like they were giving them away for free. So i'm outside having a smoke and these 3 Natives in a Ford pickup (imagine that) start chatting with me. I could see they were already partaking in the Holiday festivities and were funny as all get out. I got the typical..." you all alone" questions and "where you going". They invited me to their camp. I'm like.....man, I appreciate the offer but I'm on a mission and have 125+ miles of crazy deep snow to mow through. They really tried to get me to come and said the camp is only 20-30 minutes away but I held firm and told them I would take a rain check. 

IMG_0651.JPG

Edited by snowmaster2112

So I leave Desmairs and not more than 6-8 miles away I see two sleds coming at me. Tabernak....oh well...actually good to see somebody. Meet "Team J&J" husband and wife team from Ontario. We chat for awhile (actually more than that) and they tell me it's their first time up in Quebec. Say they were heading to Chibougamau and then around Roberval and 83 west back towards the Abitibi..

I'm like....."I dont think so guys"....way too early in the season and MANY interconnectability problems. Told them of my Mistissini travels and advised them to go there. 

IMG_0653.JPG

I has a good chuckle after we departed. He was obviously leading and her following. If I didnt know there were two of them I would have laid money down that only one sled came through here. She was DEAD NUTS in his track for miles upon miles. Good for you girlfriend.

This is where EVERYTHING changed for the day......

MIQUELON pronounced mick-a-loan

The trail crosses right there 27 km south of Desmairsville. I saw some trucks and Natives there and figured I would just say "hi"

As I pulled up I realized it was the three guys from the store in Desmairs and the second I saw it was them (not even off the sled yet with visor tipped up") and them already more festivus than when at the store ...I knew it was gonna be a special New Years eve.

IMG_0655.JPG

It's a good thing I am a spontaneous, adaptable and sorta crazy dude. I knew right at this point I might never get a chance like this again. On New Years no less. 

They used the "it's snowing like crazy man" ploy and INSISTED I stay there with them at their camp. Who am I to argue with the locals. Especially ones with more Budweiser than you could count. 

O.K. first things first I say. Is there cell reception here..."No they say but up the road on this hill 8 clicks away we can get it in the truck"    Well...I say...if this is gonna happen (and I'm game on now) I HAVE to call my wife and Bobbi at Auberge Timblemont or they will be sending the helicopters out. So off I go in one of the pick up trucks. Man you Canadians drive fast down these shitty icy snow packed roads.

OK....wife and Bobbi notified....(dosnt surprise the wife one bit...she obviously knows me well)

Now the party gets started.......

Here the camp which I think if you look off the trail to the south you can see. It's behind the buildings where the seasonal outfitter has his place. 

IMG_0656.JPG

Edited by snowmaster2112

While the boys " Alex, Elphonse and Samuel" are getting the camp ready (actually hauling in tobogans full of Budweiser) they say.....take that single track through the bush there a couple clicks and you will come into another little camp area. Now I briefly met these folks at the trail head where their trucks are a little earlier. So not wanting to miss anything during precious daylight I rode over to their camps. The single track through the bush was surreal and I swear it seemed like there was 10ft of snow in the bush. 

Here the other camps...

IMG_0660.JPG

19 minutes ago, quebec bob said:

I want to see the picture of Chief Wally, in full Head Dress, surely you have met him by now!!

That is on the next trip for sure.