Northern smack down 2019

snowmaster2112

16 hours ago, kendoo said:

Awesome write-up buddy!!  Brought back some great memories of our pre-Y2K rides North of the border!!!  

Funny....I was just thinking of you the other day. We need to phone talk. It’s been quite awhile now.

i still have the occasional nightmare and wake up sweating thinking about the “moose ass 1300” tour

One last post on this crazy thread. I want to thank ALL OF YOU for following along and commenting. If you enjoyed it as much as I did reading your responses then we all made out good.

something no one (except my wife and best friend know) until now is this ride was for and dedicated to Peanut

she was our beloved cat that was our baby girl for the last 10.5 years  she had chronic asthma and was on hi doses of steroids which finally took their toll on her. We had to put her to sleep less than 24 hrs before I left for this trip. She is (and has been) for years on my “splash” screen on my Garmin GPS. So when I turn it on the first thing I see is “Peanut”

We miss you baby girl and will see you again someday.

here Peanut in her better days

543509A3-02BE-4D4A-BAD3-C38194DDF02F.jpeg

Edited by snowmaster2112

23 hours ago, doubler said:

Just curious, why do you always open your side panels when you stop for a break?

Did you ever own a Skidoo 1200 in the XS chassis? They put out an extreme amount of heat (but yet your water bottle will still freeze in the glove box) 

i didnt get a chance to vent it yet and was riding her pretty hard. Plus it was warmer than usual Quebec riding temps. Just trying to cool the young girl down a bit. 

Edited by snowmaster2112

1 hour ago, snowmaster2112 said:

There is myself and the above three mentioned individuals that make up my core group. If it ain’t all four it’s some combination of either two or three.

Understand this completely. 

and,

So sorry about “peanut” never easy to let them go. Believe me I get it. 

30 minutes ago, iceman said:

Understand this completely. 

and,

So sorry about “peanut” never easy to let them go. Believe me I get it. 

Thanks Ice !!!! She was super special for sure. We called her “Special Pea”....and believe me she knew it....LOL

wife and I don’t have any kids so she got lots of extra lovin’ 

You’re an excellent writer Chris.  A book might be in your future!

So sorry to hear about Peanut.  Our little Yorkie also named Peanut passed away last month at 9.5 years succumbing to bladder cancer.  My first ride this winter will be a tribute to him. Very hard loosing a pet. Still have 3 dogs & 1 cat to keep us happy.  

A2C37EAB-E860-4DFA-8BE7-979FA5B9A030.thumb.png.39bd829a7fd735f67b984c28c53664db.png

22 minutes ago, Florida Snowman said:

You’re an excellent writer Chris.  A book might be in your future!

So sorry to hear about Peanut.  Our little Yorkie also named Peanut passed away last month at 9.5 years succumbing to bladder cancer.  My first ride this winter will be a tribute to him. Very hard loosing a pet. Still have 3 dogs & 1 cat to keep us happy.  

A2C37EAB-E860-4DFA-8BE7-979FA5B9A030.thumb.png.39bd829a7fd735f67b984c28c53664db.png

What a beautiful little dog. I’ll bet the two Peanuts would have loved each other. Very sorry for your loss as well and hope to meet you someday.

Same here, our only “child” was a spoiled Cocker Spaniel for 16.5 years, handing her to the vet to be put to rest was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done. Memories keep you smiling though as do smooth trails....

12 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

Did you ever own a Skidoo 1200 in the XS chassis? They put out an extreme amount of heat (but yet your water bottle will still freeze in the glove box) 

i didnt get a chance to vent it yet and was riding her pretty hard. Plus it was warmer than usual Quebec riding temps. Just trying to cool the young girl down a bit. 

Ah, that makes sense.  And no, I never had a 1200, just 4 etecs and never opened the panels, that's why I had to ask.  Sorry to hear about Peanut.  We had to put down 2 cats in the last 2 years.  Not easy.

On 1/2/2020 at 8:42 PM, snowmaster2112 said:

A BIG THANK YOU goes out to all the folks who made my trip so memorable, comfortable and just downright FUN FUN FUN

Bobbi & Manon at Auberge Tiblemont on Lac Tiblemont- two GREAT hosts and people. I will be back for sure and would never hesitate to recommend their establishment to any snowmobilers either passing through or basing out of.

Isabelle (the Gazelle) & Pierre-Luc from Hotel Opemiska in Chapais. The place simply cannot be beat

David, David , Janelle and Pierr-Luc for showing me the cabin and how boondockers in Quebec ride

Nancy from Desmairsville for always being the sweetie she is. (Natives were telling me secret stories of Nancy from long ago)

Kenny Loon from Mistissini and his lovely wife for cooking the great native food and sharing/teaching me about native traditions

Bruce Wapachee police officer from Mistissini for not arresting me and taking me to jail

Eddy from the front desk at Auberge Mistissinni for showing me the rooms and talking with me about all things Mistissinni 

The people from Adele’s restaurant in Mistissinni (forgot to ask if Adele was there) I want to meet her

The people in Chibougamau who put on the LOVELY Christmas themed display on their property 

The Lord Savior Jesus Christ (otherwise just known as Eric) in Chibougamau for pulling me out of the ditch and saving me and my back

And a special thanks to Alex, Elphonse and Samuel for taking/inviting me in and giving me a New Year’s Eve I will never forget

BUT.........the MOST IMPORTANT thanks goes to my lovely wife Sandy who has supported (and continues to ) support all my crazy snowmobile activities over the years. Thanks honey !!!! I owe ya big time.

1539 miles on my new Enduro now from the last two northern runs. Two SPECTACULAR trips that will never be forgotten 

Snow master, really enjoyed following your journey along last week, you may have mentioned the meal status at Hotel Opemiska, Isabelle and Pierre Lurc, but I did not quickly locate the info.  Do they serve dinner and breakfast or what are the options?   Thank you. Happy trails

RR

2 hours ago, RoadRunner said:

Snow master, really enjoyed following your journey along last week, you may have mentioned the meal status at Hotel Opemiska, Isabelle and Pierre Lurc, but I did not quickly locate the info.  Do they serve dinner and breakfast or what are the options?   Thank you. Happy trails

RR

Just breakfast and it's a serve yourself kinda thing. She has fruit/yogurt/cereals/hard boiled eggs all ready to go/toasts/beans/cretons etc..

she even has some pre made pancakes in little bags in the fridge. You can also cook fresh eggs she has there on the stove the way you like. All kinds of juices, milk and of course COFFEE

There is also a super nice grocery store 200 yds up the street with all kinds of good stuff including rotiseri chicken. Then you always have the Chapais Clubhouse about 4 miles back on the trail. I think they are open till 8pm every night and 9 on saturday.  How many in your group and I'll give a recommendation on what room you would want there?

Make sure you tell her Chris from Rochester , NY said "Hi" 

Forgot to mention too....I bought a frozen pizza up at the grocery store and cooked it in the common kitchen area one night (they even had a pizza cutter in the drawer) and also brought some chili (frozen in a bag) that the wife made me before the trip. She has bowels/plates and cooking utensils there for you.

If you or anyone else are truly gonna make the Mistissini run, PM me as I can tell you how to save a little money. Just dont feel comfortable doing a public post.

Edited by snowmaster2112

That's awesome that your group has grown this way.  I have a similar story with a gentlemen I met in the early 2000's in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, we have become very good friends although we don't get to see one another often as I have a love for snowmobiling Quebec and not so much the UP anymore.   I too had a core group of 4 but unfortunately,  they have all got out of the sport due to the added stresses of life today and the addition of children to their families.  I, like many others it sounds, don't have children.  My wife and I have one spoiled border collie, so it's easy for me to leave throughout the winter.  I have been re-building my group over the past few years, but their interests aren't nearly as aligned as our initial core group.  I am thankful I still have riding partners to enjoy the sport with even though it will never be quite the same as it was years ago when we would back pack and back country, now we tend to sit tight in one place and only ride trails in and out each day.  Unlike you Chris, I don't think I would or could ever have the courage to solo.  My mind would drift to all the "what could go wrongs" and talk myself out of it before ever getting started.

9 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

Forgot to mention too....I bought a frozen pizza up at the grocery store and cooked it in the common kitchen area one night (they even had a pizza cutter in the drawer) and also brought some chili (frozen in a bag) that the wife made me before the trip. She has bowels/plates and cooking utensils there for you.

If you or anyone else are truly gonna make the Mistissini run, PM me as I can tell you how to save a little money. Just dont feel comfortable doing a public post.

Chris, thank you for that information, we didn’t make time to do the Mistissini run on this trip. We have three traveling on this trip. So we may be dropping into Chapais on Wednesday night. See how the trip flows!  Thank you again for all this info in this post and your recommendations. 

Happy trails 

RR

9 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

"bowels", plates, and cooking utensils - yuck - lol

10 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

Chris , in Chapais, it shows a restaurant named Le tandem in Chapais, is that closed for the winter or not there anymore

50 minutes ago, RoadRunner said:

Chris , in Chapais, it shows a restaurant named Le tandem in Chapais, is that closed for the winter or not there anymore

I thought I remember people saying it was either closed for the holidays or had reduced hours or something. Best thing is to call the Opemiska as 99% of the time Isabelle speaks perfect English and she could tell you. I never had a need to go to the restaurant.