Northern smack down 2019

snowmaster2112

21 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

I bought this from Nancy at the store in Desmairsville this afternoon  and only had two left by the time I hit the Chapais Clubhouse

BCD0D805-E9ED-4069-A096-4ED77BCC2B13.jpeg

Ha! I have seen the “locals” carry one of those under each arm out of that store....no joke

43 minutes ago, mikerider said:

The suspense rises.   Will it be wolves and boobs like the last trip, or something totally new?

(Hopefully he is back at the RodeWay Inn).

Now that’s some funny shit right there Mike !!!!  No, I wish more boobs (or fine Canadian milfs) but rather just fine trails and NO ONE AGAIN.

Today started out just like I thought it might. All fresh groomed into Chibougamau with the exception of a single track that was heading south into Chapais. ( early bird gets the worm) Weather was crappy here this a.m. and I didn’t get out till almost 10

No one in Chapais moves around here until at least 8 a.m. and then very slowly.. Here is coming out of Chapais this a.m. heading north on fresh groomed and 3 inches of cream cheese on top

D8BD9E18-855B-4764-B0C9-C91FD002496C.jpeg

As I’m at the depaanneur inside de icing my helmet from the bullshit freezing rain here today I nice older fellow asks me where I’m heading and I say Mistissini. He replies I just got back yesterday morning from grooming that.i thanked him and we chatted for several minutes. He says first time in three years it’s been open due to logging. As I’m weaving out of town to where that trail heads north I’m crossing my fingers no body has been on it. Could it really be ???? No, no way.....then BAM.....

022AF086-E391-4AFB-B260-D59AA080D9C7.jpeg

So for the next 50 miles I hammered trail like this.Formula One trail here for sure. Ice you ain’t kidding about that being a nice stretch.

reminds me of the run in between Kanawata & Casey. Only problem on the way to Mistissini was the constant scraping I had to do with the glove on the visor every minute (at super hi speed no less).other than that crap it was as good of conditions and trail as ANY I have ever ridden. Got to the Depanneur in town to gas up and then hit the Auberge Mistissinni for a fine club sandwich & fries.

Sitting there at 2:30 thinking if this icing shit continues I’m screwed. As I start leaving town I notice.....no more icing but light snowing.......SWEET. Here coming into town......

286DD5B7-DF4B-4412-8C4D-FC7C4E6DC674.jpeg

Rode back to Chibougamau and chuckled at my track in the other direction 

it’s a rare opportunity (especially on hi speed trail like this):to be able to see and analyze your own track and riding style and how you reacted at certain corners for such a long distance. I’m pleased to announce the vast majority of the time I was dead locked right side and hardly ever did my ski overlap with the previous direction. And it was far from all straight like this pick. I was only taking breaks/pictures on the straights 

AD53C80E-EEEF-4614-B903-CE0F10E13DFE.jpeg

So in conclusion I have not crossed another sled head on to where I would have to hand signal since leaving south of Senneterre yesterday morning some 370 miles ago. I did see four guys come through an intersection in Chibougamau but I was sitting there with my sled off. Here heading back towards Chapais tonight. People had obviously been on the trail while I was up north today and I could see the activity in town was picking up for locals weekend riding. Got to figure out what I’m gonna do tomorrow 

BD4A31A0-F7BF-4398-ACF2-9C69EE4C865B.jpeg

Lots of local sledding activity picking up in town here tonight and Chibougamau even more so cause we are now at the weekend of a holiday week. Think I’m gonna check the grooming report at 6 a.m. and be ready to jump on right then. By noon tomorrow I should break 1000 miles on the new sled this year and I’m still 225 miles from the truck. Will be a new record for me with this many miles (all very high quality no less) before New Years

7 hours ago, doo4adoo said:

Great reports. Keep to the right tomorrow. My buddy and his son are pulling out of Louvicourt in the morning. Heading to Matagami on 2 cats

Told them your story and they want to live the dream as well. 

They will have a blast. 

Here’s one for all you “thrill seekers” .....tell your wives they still have time to enter.

Isabelle from the Hotel Opemiska here in Chapais is joining her best friend (also from Chapais) to go enter a 10 day 2500km desert race in the Sahara desert in Morocco. It is not a who’s the fastest but who gets to the end by the shortest passage. They are allowed NO gps of anykind. It cost 25,000 to enter this two women only per team (I think 118 teams). It costs another 25000 in expenses like getting there and renting a special Jeep.They have been doing fund raisers for 2 years and have reached their goal with much of the support coming from the local Chapais community. She said it’s really hot over there in the day and really cold at night. Her biggest concern is they have to wear a helmet at all times.

i wish her well and will be following the race along on the internet come March

81DEA3F5-9111-4A39-A5E5-B320C1F719B0.jpeg

I’m thinking I’m going to Mistissini again today for another club sandwich 

gonna leave Chapais here a lot earlier than yesterday which should let me beat any Saturday morning trail traffic around Chibougamau and get north where I will have more time to chit chat with the locals there to learn more about the area.

stay tuned......