2020 Jack & Sandi's trips

revct1

We are back from our ride and back from supper.  Sandi had a Greek style pizza with artichokes, black olives, red peppers, feta cheese and I have no idea what else was on it.  I got to try a little piece because she couldn't finish.  It was good!  I would have never ordered it but I might now.

So this morning, where do you want to ride?  It is Jan 1st and not every place is open.  I ask at the front desk if they could call Auberge des Battures.  Other QR people have had great things to say and we have never stopped there.  The receptionist makes the call and yes they are open for lunch, yes the trail is open but not great and lunch is only a big brunch buffet.  Usually we have something light at lunch so I pass on the Auberge.  We will have to hit it some other day. 

Could you call Relais des Lacs please.  She calls and yes they are open but for breakfast only.  They are closing at 12:30 today.  OK make a reservation for us please.

Back to our room and plan a route so we end up at Relais des Lacs by 12:00, our reservation time.  There are four of us today.  Michelle and Chris from Mass are joining us.  We have to cross the two bridges and then how about a big loop on 367.  OK sounds good.

On the sleds and our normal route from the Sag on 83 to 367 and cross the two bridges.  A little rough as expected.  On the north side though, 367 is pretty good.  Thru St Ambroise and 93 has been groomed.  Up thru the potato fields and Sandi is beating feet.  A little fluff on the nice smooth trail is just what we need.  We pass the junction with 328 to Begin and then the next junction where 328 goes toward St David.  This is just fine.  A little further up by the cabins on the lac there is some logging activity.  Nothing today being New Year's Day but a lot of wood has been cut.  The snowmobile trail winds back and forth crossing the new logging road.  I hope that logging road becomes the trail next season.  It is wide and gentle.  Oh one can only hope.

The logging stops just before the junction with 482 to Onatchiway.  367 is now on the original trail all the way to Relais Mont Vilain.  There is one section just before the local trail to Lamarche that is not groomed.  A few miles of bumps here.  There is a swampy section that the groomer can't pass yet.  After that it is fine to Relais Mont Vilain.  We knew they were going to be closed from when we stopped here the other day.

Sandi drops down on the river and off she goes.  Not groomed of course but no bumps.  A couple of miles later and Sandi gets on the connector that brings us from the river back to 367.  This is still good and what a nice ride this is.  Running along the blueberry fields, wide and flat with just gentle turns.  We get on 553 and Sandi gets us to Relais des Lacs at 11:45.  As they say up here, Perfect!

Only one other sled but a pretty big group of at least twenty that must be locals.  They drove here.  We order a light breakfast and sit back.  We chat about how nice the trails are and no one is out riding.  We have only seen a couple of other sleds today but that is how Jan 1st is, quiet.

Back on the sleds and u-turn.  553 to 328.  Watch out for the drifting here in the fields Sandi.  Oops!  I didn't realize you were stopping.  I'm off in the poof and with a little body English, back on the trail.  A stop at L'Acension for gas.  Easy stop right on the trail.  Sandi continues down 328 and turns left on 93.  I know this is going to have bad spots but lets go.  The new detour at Alma for 93 to get around the road work that was going on last season.  Some thin spots in the fields and hills and then on the other side of the hill is all the snow that has drifted.

After St Nazaire 93, which was bad, is now fine.  The groomer made a pass last night and turned the ugly into the pretty good.  Thru St Ambroise and back on 367.  We cross the two bridges and pull into the Sag.  Home once again.

Another day on the trails is done.  As usual, some good and some bad but it is still riding.  It is starting to look like winter.

Jack & Sandi

So today is our last day on the sleds.  Tomorrow we are in the truck and back to Connecticut.  Unfortunately Sandi got a stomach bug yesterday and isn't up to riding today.  It seems like each year on our first trip one of us doesn't feel good for a day or two.  Fortunately the GutZ brothers are at the Delta and I think I can tag with them for the day.  Time for a phone call to see what their plans are.

The temps have been mild here for the week.  The snow we got the other day really helped the trails.  They are not perfect all over but everything is connected and descent.  Typical early season riding right now.

Jack & Sandi

15 minutes ago, revct1 said:

So today is our last day on the sleds.  Tomorrow we are in the truck and back to Connecticut.  Unfortunately Sandi got a stomach bug yesterday and isn't up to riding today.  It seems like each year on our first trip one of us doesn't feel good for a day or two.  Fortunately the GutZ brothers are at the Delta and I think I can tag with them for the day.  Time for a phone call to see what their plans are.

The temps have been mild here for the week.  The snow we got the other day really helped the trails.  They are not perfect all over but everything is connected and descent.  Typical early season riding right now.

Jack & Sandi

Good luck with them guys!!

Have a rope??

Lol 

Will look for the post  Tonite..

As Eddie said  good luck  .... another adventure coming up lol .....  hope  sandi is feeling better on your return.  And safe drive home. Have absolutely loved following your 1st trip of the season.  

G&P

Well I was out with the GutZ boys and got back late.  Good thing is no disaster.

This morning I take off heading to the Delta.  I'm a little late and the boys are waiting.  They were thinking about going up towards Milot.  OK.  A lot of that area was groomed last night but the Millot trail gets groomed tonight.

We are off on 383 to the two bridges.  Bumpy.  On the other side of the bridges, 93 is still pretty good.  Running along thru the scrubby pines.  Dust in the air and smiles on our faces.  We get to St Ambroise and turn left onto 93.  Going past Relais Montangarde I notice a couple of vehicles.  It looks like they are getting ready to open for the season.

Cruising along on 93 we turn right onto 554.  From here on up, the map shows all groomed.  We are at Relais des Lacs in no time.  We aren't ready for a break with the trails this good.  Trail 328 to 554 north.  So good.  We catch up to a couple of two ups.  they slow down and let us by.  A quick thank you wave and we are back up to speed.  Left thru the blueberry fields and right on 367. 

We get to the junction at the top of 367 and 373 just before the river.  Decision time.  Relais Vilain or the truck stop at Milot.  Its a little after 11:00.  We opt for Relais Vilain.  On the river and we are at the relais in a few minutes.

We go in and order lunch.  The sleds keep rolling in.  It's busy today.  Always good food here and super friendly wait staff.

After lunch, we get back on 367 west.  This is one of my favorite rides.  When 367 is groomed, it is so much fun.  It seems like we are at the junction with 93 in St Monique in a blink of the eye. 

I've been negligent and forgot to fill up the oil on the 850 today and yesterday and when did I do it last?  My low oil light has come on.  We aren't that far from DRC in Alma.  Lets head there and grab a liter.

We turn right on 23, cross the Alma bridge and take local 562.  Oh the groomer hasn't been here yet this year.  Boy this is tough to take after such a nice ride on 367.  I hope that water crossing is frozen because I don't want to u-turn and ride this a second time.  We get to the water and yes it is frozen.  The ice huts are out, it is staked and they are a lot of tracks.  Lets go DRC is only a few miles away.

Around the airport and there is DRC.  Oh not so good.  They are closed.  That's right, it is boxing day.  Ugh!

A quick check of my oil tank and there is still a fair amount of oil.  It is just below a quarter of a tank.  We can't do anything here.  Back on the trail.  We stay on 562 and turn left onto 383.  This is a little better.  We get to Relais Genouille and this is busy.  It is now around 4:30.  The GutZ brothers decide to take a break here.  I give it some thought and tell them I'm going to continue on.  I'll run 83 all the way back.  I ask them to keep an eye out for me on their way back just in case.

We part and off I go.  Take it easy Jack.  I'm in no hurry.  Reasonable speed, conserve my oil.  No need to do something dumb.

The first part of 83 is rough but the headlights really light up the trail and it is easy to pick the best path over the bumps.  As I get closer to the Delta, 83 is deteriorating.  This is falling apart.  Bumps and more bumps.  I take another look at the oil tank and still good.  From the Delta to the Sag is the worst section all week.  I pull in and park in front of our room.  Sandi is there waiting and has a big smile on her face.  It's late but I'm back and the sled is fine.

A big hug with Sandi and boy does it feel good to sit in a soft chair after trail 83.  She is feeling better.  She said by noontime the stomach had calmed down.  She just put her feet up and relaxed all day.

This was a very typical early season ride.  Some good trails some bad trails.  Enough snow to ride out of the hotel on but as always, a little more snow would make things nicer.  The temps were mild, -15 C to 0 C.  The trails need some cold temps to let the snow pack really firm up.  The snow cover gets soft during the day and gets pushed around.

Plan your trips folks.  the season is here and there is no time to waste.  Our next trip is going to be at RDL starting January 14th.  We hope to see Mayor Mike there and a few other QR members.  Be safe.

Jack & Sandi

Thanks guys.  GoPro some day.  Sometimes I add pics.  Once in awhile Sandi lets me use her smart phone to take a few pics.  It is such a step up from my tried and trusted flip phone.  I know, I'm old school.

So the ride home was fine.  Misting in the air thru L'Etape.  A steadier rain from Quebec City down route 20.  Temp was above freezing most of the way, 32 - 37 F.  Not a lot of snow cover south of the river.  Drummondville was very thin.

I see the groomer map shows a lot of activity around Lac St Jean.  RDL shows some grooming too.  The forecast ahead is temps below freezing and maybe some snow.  I'm optimistic that RDL will get something for our trip starting Jan 13th.

Thanks for reading along.  It adds to our enjoyment knowing that others are riding along with us.

Jack & Sandi

On 1/2/2020 at 7:46 AM, eddieskidoo said:

Good luck with them guys!!

Have a rope??

Lol 

Will look for the post  Tonite..

I dont disagree with being prepared.... but we towed Jack's 850 last year!. ....with my 10 year old 20000.00 mile 1200!

LOL

But it is usually us that's towed. ( Sad Face Emoji Here )

GutZ

41 minutes ago, mikerider said:

Maybe we should have a roll call for all of us that gave Jack a tow last year!!!!!

mike

Listen... I don't anyone infringing our Tow'd title, so let's keep that to your self..... 

LOL

GutZ

On 1/6/2020 at 10:14 AM, MrGutz said:

I don't disagree with being prepared.... but we towed Jack's 850 last year!. ....with my 10 year old 20000.00 mile 1200!

LOL

But it is usually us that's towed. ( Sad Face Emoji Here )

GutZ

4 hours ago, mikerider said:

Maybe we should have a roll call for all of us that gave Jack a tow last year!!!!!

mike

GutZ you thought I pulled a stud and lost all the coolant and Mike you thought I popped the motor?  No, no.  I carry a bottle of anti-freeze and pour it on the snow just for fun.  Then everyone can practice towing.  I just happen to like being the towee.

Jack & Sandi

Also a great way to save gas.

On 1/7/2020 at 8:12 PM, jak said:

Getting towed is bad enough but then you gotta back track 35 mi. because you forgot your helmet? Not gonna mention any names.

H op pe you were back tracking in a car and not a snowmobile 

• 4 weeks later...

It has been an interesting past week.  We know snowmobiling likes to tap the credit card once in awhile.  Well the Chevy Duramax wasn't starting good when we were up here for Christmas to New Year's so I had the batteries checked back home.  Note: two batteries.  One was bad but they are both original from 2014 so we will replace both of them, almost $400.

Last week the check engine light comes on.  Of course an individual can't check any of this without a scanner so I bring it to a shop that I know good and he says one code but it refers back to two different items, the EGR or the cooler for the EGR.  To replace the EGR it is only $1,000 the cooler would be $1500.  Lets try the EGR.  He gets the truck ready for late Monday just in time for the trip Tuesday morning which the mechanic knew about.  The truck ran fine for the ride up to the Delta.

We unload the sleds and as I'm backing the truck and trailer up against the snow bank for the week, I notice in my mirror, the tires on the trailer, dual axle, don't look right.  One of them is tipped in at the top.  I get out and look under the trailer and the front axle is broke in half.  Ugh!  This must have just happened in the parking lot.  I couldn't have dragged this very far because the tire would have blown out or fell off.

Daniel and Bill put their heads together and found a trailer repair shop just down the street from the Delta.  Tuesday morning I drag the trailer there with Daniel.  The workers don't speak much English.  Daniel does the translation for me and the result is they can't repair the axle it has to be replaced.  OK that is what I figured.  We should replace both of them.  They are the same age, about 15 years old.  Two axles at $600 apiece and $400 labor it will be $1600.  There is a manufacturing shop in Beauce that makes the axles.  They can have them here the beginning of next week and then a half day for the install.  We have to do it.  Go ahead and order them.  Of course Sandi and I were talking this past summer about replacing the trailer because it is getting older and it is really bigger than we need.  Looks like we are going to run it a few more years now.  So we are going home Monday morning still.  The trailer will stay here for the repairs and then I guess I will have to force myself to come back up in a week or so to get the trailer.  I don't know if Sandi is going to make that trip.

Then lastly, yesterday at the gas station in L'Acension, the TD Bank card was rejected.  I used it yesterday morning at the Ultramar, no problem.  The gas station tried it a half a dozen times.  No good.  I get Sandi to come in and try her TD card.  Same thing.  We use a different card and it goes right thru.  Hmm?

Back at the Delta last night I call up TD Bank and they look it up and tell me the transaction went thru but for the wrong dollar amount.  It went thru for $37.71 and it should have been $37.00.  So know I have to dispute the charge when I get the statement.  Not a big amount of money but just one more thing to take care of.  The person from TD Bank said the gas stations seem to have the most trouble with cards.  She didn't have an explanation, just her observation.

Other than that, yesterday was a beautiful ride.  We got a late start because of the trailer issue.  Sandi and I rode up to Mont Vilain for lunch and then looped thru L'Acension and back to the Delta.  The trails were fine.

Jack & Sandi

Hope rest of the trip goes well for you Jack and Sandi.

I have said it before and I will say it again, snowmobiling is not a sport for the poor. Surely you do not need to be rich but, it helps. Wanna play gotta pay.