St Zenon-Le Cabanon

Grassman24

Have a trip planned Jan 11th for a week here. Just looking for some ideas for some loops to do or any other advice for the area. It will be my first time riding in Quebec so I’m looking forward to it. Looks like the recent snows and long range forecasts everything should be pretty good. 

How many miles per day you looking to do? But here are some loops we normally do when we go up.  I would just use the map and plan out days.  Also recommend since its your first time to get the app for the phone.  While on wifi load the map and your route for the day.  Put it on airplane mode but you will still have access to the map and your location.  It can really help for your first time.

http://fcmq.viaexplora.com/i?s=IwGgzA7ALArADANgTEBtAtA4YCcOojARhEgwAcMMO5ICsATALohxrBEJjwIgPkkUYOOWC10MKOQYQQ6WMDgsMwBnAgxg_PmHI4UmOHFV9E5AsEk4ITIA&r=2 - up to the repos

http://fcmq.viaexplora.com/i?s=IwGgzA7ALArADBAbADhAbQLSOGAnLxEYCMYkGZKYZMERKZRAXRDnWGMTHkIwCY4UEP3qlhwPjD59wyZHD4tMEhDGC4h9YQwgbhKRIRgwGwJkA&r=2 - head up to black mountain, really cool views.  Also gray jays will eat crackers from your hand 

Edited by mrgrumpers

You will have no problem keeping yourself entertained in that area.  You can spend a day each going East, North, and West...probably South by the time you leave.  Grab a map and pick your route for the day.  LeCabanon will have plenty of maps at the front desk. Pretty easy to do loops to whatever you want for miles.  Make sure to include some of the orange local trails too. 

Sorry forgot to add mileage plans. I live in NJ so when we ride I like to put in miles and get it in when I can. 150-200 is our goal typically.  Thanks for the info. I was going to download the app, also I was thinking of getting trakmaps gps maps. Thoughts on their maps?

We are planning a trip there also starting the 12th. Good place to start early season. mrgrumpers suggestions perfect. Lock your trucks together in parking lot and your sleds together in sled corral and you will be fine. Gas and food on site. If you get a room on lake side get to watch ametuer drag racing all day/evening. Bring bathing suit, nice indoor pool/hot tub. We are group of 5 or 6 all Doo's. A couple shots of the place.

IMG_4179.JPG

IMG_1933H.jpg

Edited by Snobeeler

Snobeeler, I’m headed up to Syracuse to meet up with my buddy to head up. We have 2 doo’s also, orange renegade and a yellow MXZ TNT. We are both on 900’s. Are you staying at Le Cabanon also? If so maybe we can meet up to ride. It will be my first ride of the season. Looking forward to it. 

8 minutes ago, Munson said:

I'll be riding with Grassman24.

How's the food at Le Cabanon? Is there anyplace else locally to eat? - there are other hotels you can ride to and eat. I enjoy eating at Real Masse great food.

Do sleds get stolen even out of the corral? Thievery used to be big and still happens. I believe Snobeeler was just giving some advice.  Rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks for all the tips.

Search the forum, there are a ton of topics about riding in the area.  Look up ride reports from towing. Very helpful with great pictures and some video.

Food is very good.  I never heard of a sled getting stolen from their corral.  They close/lock it at night, I don’t recall the time, 10 or 11.  They open it at 7.  I wouldn’t leave your sleds in the trailer out in the truck trailer compound.  Although they watch it, it would not be hard for someone to walk in, unload it and ride it out.  Load up the morning that you leave, not the night before.

Hey guys, just got back from the LaCabanon 26/31. Actually left while the 6 + inches of snow was going on. You’ll have no problems leaving sleds in the corral, Dennis does a nice job having a night watchman walking the trailer pen throughout the night keeping an eye on any suspicious activity. Be careful out on the trails because underneath all the new snow there are icy turns with some rocks but believe me it’s not as bad as the INTERNET says it is. Signage is not 100% with a lot of reroutes north of dam.Was able to ride 910 miles while up there.

Who ever is considering going up, just go and have fun.

FEFF8109-AB72-4BD7-B92E-377B8F4C52A7.jpeg

5C772AF3-3217-4CAA-9250-5A25B18E8588.jpeg

624E0761-FC8F-44C2-8152-4232777E131A.jpeg

AE5E7249-DFE1-44FD-A912-828B61E47A47.jpeg

1DD0F897-931A-4D22-9EAF-4F4416355205.jpeg

6F9698C0-B7F4-4898-AD71-AB8743724787.jpeg

DE2E01EE-0129-491C-BAC3-FA2408F41F3E.jpeg

59B885B4-42AD-45CE-BFD4-A2324BBEA694.jpeg

7A635BD2-9DB3-454E-AD2A-C2EDD1949CED.jpeg

662B0BFF-8B42-4A60-9B75-88552D81D0C2.jpeg

A32DCF7E-B7B8-4154-9CE8-F973CE33B370.jpeg

90D81354-913A-4224-879E-EF242004B178.jpeg

1 hour ago, Grassman24 said:

Sorry forgot to add mileage plans. I live in NJ so when we ride I like to put in miles and get it in when I can. 150-200 is our goal typically.  Thanks for the info. I was going to download the app, also I was thinking of getting trakmaps gps maps. Thoughts on their maps?

Trak maps are excellent, that is what I use.

just keep in mind since that area is not fully setup with signage, you’ll find yourself running some sections of trail from previous years not current.

25 minutes ago, Cobra said:

Trak maps are excellent, that is what I use.

just keep in mind since that area is not fully setup with signage, you’ll find yourself running some sections of trail from previous years not current.

Cobra I plan on giving you a ring. Thanks for the message and info! I watched a couple videos on YouTube of the area. Looks awesome!

55 minutes ago, Munson said:

I'll be riding with Grassman24.

How's the food at Le Cabanon? Is there anyplace else locally to eat?

Do sleds get stolen even out of the corral?

Thanks for all the tips.

Munson always looking for the best eats. I never worry about getting a good meal riding with him. 

10 hours ago, Grassman24 said:

Snobeeler, I’m headed up to Syracuse to meet up with my buddy to head up. We have 2 doo’s also, orange renegade and a yellow MXZ TNT. We are both on 900’s. Are you staying at Le Cabanon also? If so maybe we can meet up to ride. It will be my first ride of the season. Looking forward to it. 

90% sure staying at Cabanon too. I ride 2020 Red 900T too. Food is pretty good there but be patient service is sometimes very slow. Saturday night all you can eat beef deal real good. Real Masse very good as advised above. Easy 1st day ride would be to go to Mattawin. Gas and great lunch there. Head back same route or hit M20 on way back to add a few miles. 75 miles each way.

7D7DBEAA-015F-405D-BA54-6F535266743C.png

Edited by Snobeeler

8 hours ago, Munson said:

"Munson always looking for the best eats. I never worry about getting a good meal riding with him. "

That's the difference between being Italian and being Irish!

Coming from a fellow Irishman that knew a few Italians over the years....

Head down to the Central in St Michels des Saints on Thursday night.  Might be some local talent putting on a show

1 hour ago, Snobeeler said:

90% sure staying at Cabanon too. I ride 2020 Red 900T too. Food is pretty good there but be patient service is sometimes very slow. Saturday night all you can eat beef deal real good. Real Masse very good as advised above. Easy 1st day ride would be to go to Mattawin. Gas and great lunch there. Head back same route or hit M20 on way back to add a few miles. 75 miles each way.

7D7DBEAA-015F-405D-BA54-6F535266743C.png

FYI.. in the morning always sit in the section by the bar entrance or in front of the register. That’s Frank’s section, he’ll have you guys in an out quick.

They have a couple of new young waitresses that are really slow.

when going to Mattiwan, once you run threw a parking area for trailers and stop at the stop sign, the trail goes into the woods across the road.That section was a whooped goat path. You could run the road until you can make a left into the red open gate which puts you back on the trail and avoids that particular section of trail.

Maybe that section of trail will be different by the time you run it but man was it Brutal. Just a heads up.

Also if your going to Repo from the 33 north side, they have you running multiple lakes as of now which will give you the opportunity to really unleash those turbos.👍

Edited by Cobra