2020 Riviere du Loup Trail Conditions

mikerider

Mike

Is that the little place with the great crepes, little tiny bar in the left corner,  and the little tiny hotel rooms next to it ? Hope not !

Im afraid it might be because I recall you telling me to look for the place with “auto” in the name when we went out there a few times.

Mark

Mark,   Yes, that is the place, home of the best ever crepes. I will have to scout the town for another place. Small town but there must be something. I always had hope I would come back in another life and marry the crepe lady.

As both Mike and I have posted all week.  The all clear signal has been posted for pretty much everything East of The Lac Etchemin region in the Chaudierres , thru the awesome Bas St lawerence region and into the Gaspe. Reports are good, going is great, it’s time to hit the trails.

We had a great week up here, mostly trail riding. Our  biggest day was yesterday and what a day it was,  we were able to incorporate a nice section of unmaintained single track riding yesterday on our Riv du loop, Moose valley NB for lunch, and than a return via Rimouski. Some awesome powder to play in, just capped off this week of what was mostly great  groomed trail riding! .  

Returning home today but with lots of miles and lots of smiles!

Happy trails RR

19195B59-2C75-4B7A-8A35-514E8B75B3AC.thumb.jpeg.1c37f2e8af5ed8de45a2c66ab972a408.jpegE8C666CD-DEE6-4E81-95D3-D845DBA3F568.thumb.png.b165f3bd976357822ed943ba0bf80982.png

2 hours ago, mikerider said:

RoadRunner,       was a treat to have you up here all week and hear about your rides. Thanks also for the picture posting.

mike

Mike, really awesome connecting with you, Jack and Sandy and Joe, I am sure we will cross paths again this winter somewhere.  Safe travels

Howard

Brutally cold day but an epic day of 200 miles of perfect groomed trails hardened by the arctic blast. Even the sleds liked it, they were slot cars. Coffee at Club Hiboux (like Club Med only much older crowd).  Lunch at the club in St. Pamphile, and headed over the mountain. The mountain trail was the best its ever been, and Jak and I were grinning ear to ear at the end of those 40 miles. Add in a lot of sunshine and an average speed for the day of 41 mph.

mike

IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0029.JPG

Mike whats the mountain trail ?

Is that that sweet left hand turn trail heading back from St Pamphile off 35 that shoots left generally back toward the river/Hiboux direction ? (557 maybe)  Its wooded and twisty a bit. Love that ride even if its not the mountain trail !

I always struggle with with if we should be eating at the golf course or gassing up and heading to the big log clubhouse in Tourville ! 

Riding Oqquossic to Eustis to Bosebuck early tomorrow. It is bitter down here so the trails should be sweet and hard early before the crowd. It aint RDL for sure.

Next week its Snodeo in Rangeley....mainly a gathering of many friends of ours each year although we ride a bit Thur/Fri then put the sleds away. Saturday trails there is too crazy for this cat. We spend the day at Moose Ally Pub with friends watching those RaveX kids doing tricks and back flips off a ramp and acting very foolish ourselves at the bar...on foot. 😉

I thought about bringing George on this trip, but was worried about smuggling him across the border and the problems that could bring. Plus my wife gave me that 'look' that comes with having a monkey traveling friend.  But I think maybe George needs to come next trip, no matter what it does to my reputation on QR.

IMG_0505.JPG

Just a nice day of riding with nice trails. Calling for about 6 inches of snow tonight and tomorrow. Trails were very crowded today. Thought maybe the free weekend deal, but  only saw mostly Quebec registrations at relais's and hotel. Hotel is very busy, lots of sleds.

Squatech for lunch,  with Autofois Restaurant closed, another closed restaurant opened. Can't remember the name, but when the trail to the old restaurant comes into the housing neighborhood, continue straight, past the rec center and groomers, down to the road, and it is right next door. Best burger in ages and very cheap.

Huge police fcmq check point on Trail #85. Past coupe years be advised the police also ask for your drivers licence to compare the name to the registration.

mike

IMG_0041.JPG

Retirement means never having to go out on a day like this. About 8 inches of snow on the ground and winds starting to pick up, supposedly 50 kph winds later this morning, Oh the drifts.

New Brunswick group headed for home:

IMG_0043.JPG

20 minutes ago, quebec bob said:

All about the adventure!!

hmmmm,    riding in white out conditions, or going to the spa and getting a massage. Maybe a little time in the hot tub after. Followed by a glass of wine.

12 minutes ago, smclelan said:

Better in the spa for sure!  Drove home today to Nova Scotia in sketchy conditions.

I bet the driving was bad. Think we might have gotten a foot of fluff in RDL. All the locals here taking about up coming trips to the tropics. Bathing suits on sale at the indoor mall today.

Got all the things done on my check list today except wine. Working on that now.

17 hours ago, 800steve said:

Those non retired guys dont get it yet.😀

I get it, but in 31 years I have almost never stayed at the same lodge 2 nights in a row...usually on a trip with 2 or 3 others and hundreds of miles from the truck...sometimes we just have to keep moving.

Like Mike I am retired and we both have more than 50 years under our belts on the snow and I agree with you Quebec Bob sometimes we just have to keep moving. However one day a number of years ago I wish I had taken others' advice and just stayed put and as we call it had a camp day rather than spend a night in a blizzard in a snow cave.

From my aviation background: Learn from the mistakes of others you will never live long enough to make them all yourself!!!

Andy

Speaking of aviation...a wise man once said:

“Id rather be on the ground wishing I was up in the air, than up in the air wishing I was on the ground”

It can get nasty and dangerous sledding mid winter in a storm for sure.  Makes sense to just stay put sometimes...and drink wine.