2020 Riviere du Loup Trail Conditions

mikerider

After a foot of snow yesterday we thought the trails would be soft with no steering grip. Wrong. Despite the sparse groomer report this morning, many trails had been groomed, and those that weren't were still packed from yesterday's traffic. Plus we met lots of groomers during our ride.

All was well until we decided to take the green trails back to RDL from the Verte club house and hug the St. Lawrence. Quite a ways in we lost the couple sled tracks we were following. Conditions were drifty and deep snow. We doubled back a ways and found an old trail a couple sleds used and was going in the right direction. Really a sketchy trail and surprised we made it thru to the main trail. Then had any miles where some wheeled vehicle went thru. There were areas by the river where all the snow was blown off the trail, and along the river with huge ice heaves. Once we got to the helecoptor pad the rest of the way was fine.

We did see one stuck groomer. He had a helper who was putting big pieces of wood under the cleats to get traction. Never saw that before. Worked slick.

The snow in many areas is now deep enough you would not want to try off trail, even in some of the fields.

mike

IMG_0044.JPG

Mike, what's the Intel saying about the Levis area? Thinking about dropping there Wednesday morning and headed your way, but haven't read much about that run? Would probably spend two nights at your headquarters and loop back on Friday. Any info is much appreciated! Any wine left in house?

Terry,  to Club Hiboux is excellent, then SW to St. Pamphile is excellent. Friends said  from St, Pamphille to Lac Etchemin is great. Levis east to Club Hiboux I haven't heard.

The wine situation is dire. 

Hope to see you.

mike

George stayed home, nursing another hang over. Will have to bring him next trip due to popular demand.

I am staying til at least Friday, will be good to see you.

mike

23 hours ago, neksledr said:

Mike, what's the Intel saying about the Levis area? Thinking about dropping there Wednesday morning and headed your way, but haven't read much about that run? Would probably spend two nights at your headquarters and loop back on Friday. Any info is much appreciated! Any wine left in house?

We rode on the north side from Quebec City to St Raymond this past weekend.  Rough on trail 3 but they did get a little more snow when we were there.

Driving home on route 20, it looked like there was OK snow at Berniers, Normandin.  A few trailers parked there.  The groomer map shows that the groomers have been out.  Trail 35 or 55 will probably have a little better snow cover than 5.

Have a good ride.

Jack & Sandi

Rode to St. Pamphile today with Farmer Old, Tammy and Jak. Awesome trails on a sunny but frigid day. First time ever St. Pamphile club house not open. Went to the restaurant in town. Very awesome food.  Jak's 900T still only using about 3 liters more than my 900 ACE at fill ups. Pretty impressive. Lots of moose tracks in various areas but haven't seen one yet.

mike

Hi Mark,    Its been awhile since I have stopped at the Tourville Restaurant, It just falls a little too early for lunch during the loop we like to make down that way, whereas St. Pamphile is the halfway mark and we arrive usually around 12:30.

You picked a date yet to come to RDL?

mike

Makes sense Mike. We go thru St Pamphile first to gas up then cut over to Tourville for lunch...then start heading back toward RDL direction after lunch.... we usually head back toward 35 to the 571 over to Club Hiboux...then wing it back. Funny how we all get used to certain patterns.

As you know we did Mt Valin QB at Christmas...awesome...and will do some Jackman to Beauceville area then loops a few times this year again.

We will be in RDL I think 2/28 for 4 days. We have 4/5 days in Caribou booked on 2/8 that could switch to somewhere in Quebec. Thats evolving now. The more We ride up there the more I want to. 🙂

You know our problem is work gets in the way of making the travel time worth it...but when it happens its the best. Retirement cant come soon enough.

Left the Universal this AM with a few inches of fresh snow. Took 526 to 85 to 5 East to the 3 pistols clubhouse. Hoped to get breakfast there but they are closed Monday and Tuesday this year so we headed down 571 into 3 pistols and got breakfast at the cheese factory in town neat place. Took 518 from there East to 5 then 578 to 5 again into Matane. Staying at the Riotel, has a mix of conditions everything from fresh groomed to loose powder the closer we got to Matane. Hope to get to Murdochville tomorrow via LaCache

Maybe someone can help. Friend is doing a few day loop with his wife. He is wondering when  leaving RDL whether to go to Matane for the night or Amqui. I know I really like the ride  & trails to Amqui and always enjoyed staying there. Been maybe 20 years since I have ridden to Matane so don't remember much. Friend also likes a good bar at night and I think the big hotel in Amqui checks off that square, from my memory of the last QR gathering.

mike

7 hours ago, smclelan said:

My $0.02 worth...when coming from RDL turn off the TQ5 to the 579, then the 587 from there to Amqui.  Be sure to loop into the two radar towers to see the Mummy Trees, iced towers, and the golf ball...must stop picture spots!

Ok...whats a mummy tree, ice tower, and I think I got the golf ball......maybe...?

Booking Selectotel in Amqui BTW.  🙂