2020 Riviere du Loup Trail Conditions

mikerider

Well, back in RDL for a couple weeks. Driving up through Jackman  then north to almost Quebec City the snow is somewhat thin but all the trails I could see from the truck looked mint. Once I started east on Highway. 20 the snow got deeper.  Arrived at RDL and went out for a 75 mile ride and lunch. Hopefully will know more in the next couple days but it appears to still be mid winter conditions. 

The grooming map looks like the green trails going east along the St. Lawrence and by Isle Verte appear to all be open now, finally. Not sure if you can ride out to the island yet or not.

For those that remember 'George', I was able to smuggle him back into his homeland for a visit.  I think I will recognize his original owner's sled if he ever comes back to the Universel Hotel. Returning George to his family would be stuff made for Hallmark movies.

mike

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

Glad to hear you and George are back in the office Mike, looking forward to your reports. Might see you before you leave, we're in the planning stages for a 6 day run, but not leaving until Fri the 14th. Ride safe, take good care of that monkey, and maybe our paths will cross again!

8 minutes ago, mikerider said:

Joel,     it would be so nice to see all of you. Looking forward to it.

Terry,    you bringing Trailblazer with you?  We could re enact the infamous night out.

This will be a wife's trip Mike. Tentatively planning on leaving from camp in NEK of Vermont, riding to Levi, taking shuttle across and riding to Godbout, taking ferry across and then making way back towards Vermont. Maybe I can talk Trailblazer into joining us!

7 hours ago, viper2 said:

We missed you Mike, came up to Universal last Sunday and left there today about 1:30. Maybe next time

I was probably just checking in as you were driving out. Glad you had a great trip. Enjoyed your posts.

mike

I guess today's theme was 'went out clubbing'.  Not how I remember clubbing 40 years ago. Headed to St. Pamphlle for lunch. This is my go to ride on Monday's as the trails are too quiet for riding alone in some other areas. . Apt to meet at least a few sleds on trails 5 and 35.  Got to Club Hiboux and had a relaxing coffee.. Then off to the green trail by Hiboux to get to 35.  Sign saying 'barre'. Guessing that means closed. This is my go to way to St. P as it means less travel on the rail bed. Had noticed a new trail couple miles east of Hibioux so back tracked. Either it was an ATV trail or is new, never noticed it. Now has a sign with a pic of a sled and an ATV.  Groomed but really no signs and only one sled had been through. Got confusing running on a couple plowed roads so I retreated back to trail 5 and headed east, later dropped down to 35 and stopped at Club Adventeur. They were half open. Beer, coffee and soup. Good cup of soup and winded around to RDL.  Still starved, stopped in the RDL clubhouse,  had a great burger.

Little extra energy tonight, may be a night out of the hotel in search for some great food.

mike

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

45 minutes ago, mikerider said:

I guess today's theme was 'went out clubbing'.  Not how I remember clubbing 40 years ago. Headed to St. Pamphlle for lunch. This is my go to ride on Monday's as the trails are too quiet for riding alone in some other areas. . Apt to meet at least a few sleds on trails 5 and 35.  Got to Club Hiboux and had a relaxing coffee.. Then off to the green trail by Hiboux to get to 35.  Sign saying 'barre'. Guessing that means closed. This is my go to way to St. P as it means less travel on the rail bed. Had noticed a new trail couple miles east of Hibioux so back tracked. Either it was an ATV trail or is new, never noticed it. Now has a sign with a pic of a sled and an ATV.  Groomed but really no signs and only one sled had been through. Got confusing running on a couple plowed roads so I retreated back to trail 5 and headed east, later dropped down to 35 and stopped at Club Adventeur. They were half open. Beer, coffee and soup. Good cup of soup and winded around to RDL.  Still starved, stopped in the RDL clubhouse,  had a great burger.

Little extra energy tonight, may be a night out of the hotel in search for some great food.

mike

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

Did you mean stopped at Club Explorers on 35 and 526?We were there last weekend and they must have new owners. No more breakfast menu there. Adventures is the RDL Club.

You are right NSHM,  Explorers is 35 & 526 intersection. My bad. I think only because it was a Monday that they were half open. Any other day I believe it would be the full menu. The usual cooking crew was not there today.

Mark, I believe these clubs are owned by the snowmobile clubs.  Imagine that in Maine? Snowmobile clubs selling alcohol! Good forecast ahead, no storm means more riding. See you end of the week, I hope.

mike

When in RDL I love going out to eat at various places, occasionally enjoy La Cage, love the food at the Levesque, and perhaps my favorite, Symposium Restaurant in the downtown.

RoadRunner had suggested La Imtiminet Bar in the downtown, he really liked it. I got a second opinion from a young lady at the front desk of the hotel. She loves the place and highly recommended it.

So off I goes, downtown RDL. First, if you haven't been to downtown RDL, it is kind of neat, a little of the old world. No ice sculptures lining the street this year. Better yet, huge snow sculptures. I need to get there during daylight and get some pics for sure.

So I find the place and go inside. Luckily a quiet Monday night, only about a third full.

I am immediately taken with the decor. This place covers all the check marks The atmosphere covers all the occasions. It is REALLY nice inside.

Romantic evening with the wife:  check     get a window seat.

Night to pound beers with buddies:  check

TVs to watch sports:  check

Quiet enough to carry on a conversation without shouting: check

Would the mayor entertain Prime Minister Trudeau here:  You bet!

Food is a big selection of pub food and some higher end food.  The Pub food is at the highest end of the spectrum, yes, that good.

The beer!!!!  Lots of tap beer. Tons and tons of beer from so many countries. And countless beers, and I mean countless, from microbreweries from all over Quebec.

I won't mention the waitresses. I want all of you to go for the food!

mike

Mike, glad you got to check the pub out,  we certainly did enjoy it! We got into Perce tonight at Table Roland, great going out here in the Gaspe. Heading west tomorrow, looks like more  blue sky days in the Gaspe! 90AF7544-9474-4C2E-8AF0-A3E3D4201B95.thumb.jpeg.90c874a4b99d1fceec66518bde9a91e5.jpeg

12 hours ago, mikerider said:

You are right NSHM,  Explorers is 35 & 526 intersection. My bad. I think only because it was a Monday that they were half open. Any other day I believe it would be the full menu. The usual cooking crew was not there today.

Mark, I believe these clubs are owned by the snowmobile clubs.  Imagine that in Maine? Snowmobile clubs selling alcohol! Good forecast ahead, no storm means more riding. See you end of the week, I hope.

mike

We were there on a Saturday morning.The menu on the wall is very limited and no breakfast.What a shame.

Edited by NSHM

Been a couple busy days. Skidoo420 surprised me with a visit starting yesterday. Off to Moose Valley we ride Yesterday morning. After seeing Viper2's posts and pictures and talking to RoadRunner, this was a dream ride and it did not disappoint.  Via Squatec it was 125 miles. The last 30 miles or so was perhaps the most epic trail I have ridden ever! We did the left fork entering NB.  Lodge was nice, food was great. Gassed up, (cash only). Than bought a NB day pass and the afternoon we rode down to Edmunston and up to Degalis and back to RDL. Same distance going back, about 125 miles, although we added some extra bonus miles from a wrong turn. Thin snow in NB but trails were flawless. Met about 8 to 10 sleds all day. Just an outstanding ride. North of Moose Lodge we came through the most beautiful mountain range, riding mile after mile of high altitude, deep snow and perfect smooth trails.

Today SkiDoo420 and I rode to Rimouski and hit all the trails in the southeast corner. They were amazing.  Ate at Table du Mamam.  Too much food but really good. Much higher traffic count today. Came back via Squatec and made it in before dark.  Another 250 miles..

Tonight met an old friend Kevin from Ontario. He just finished up the Gaspe and said best trails ever.

mike

IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG